PDA

View Full Version : Getting a truck soon... couple questions

Chanman420q
05-17-2004, 07:03 PM
well between racing this season and my summer job, a car is just out of the question. i want something "big" but not "huge" i need something to fit my 400ex, i got +2 a-arms, 3:2 offset and ZPS suspention, so i need something that will fit the quad, i was looking at S10s but i dont think its gunna fit back there. i want an extended cab, my dad has an f150 regular cab and i cant stand it. just dont like the little room it has to offor inside. I like the Chevy 1500 Extended cabs. I love the sound of the v8 5.7 liters, but then i look at gas prices, and think how much my dads little v6 burns up and how much his tanks cost. i wont be doing nearly the driving he does but its still a factor. Anyone got any other imput on what else to look, im staying in the range of 8g more or less. im also concerned about reliablity. i got my heart pretty much stuck on that chevy, any one got a forum for them

Guy400
05-17-2004, 07:20 PM
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

There's a forum that MOFO referred me too. Depending on what rear gear you get you'll likely see better MPG with the bigger V8. My uncle's old 5.7 1500 ECSB 4x4 with 3.73's got better gas mileage than my dad's Dodge Ram regular cab SB 2WD with the 318 and 3.55's. My 2000 5.3 ECSB 4x4 with 3.73's gets better gas mileage than my cousin's F150 reg. cab SB with the 4.6. The thing with the bigger engines and taller rear gear is you don't need nearly the RPM's to get it moving. I don't get above 2k RPM when accelerating from a light and I can cruise at about 72mph at 2050 RPM. Last fill up my truck got 16.3mpg.

But, with a-arms on a quad you're definitely looking at having to lift it over the wheelwells. You may want to look into an S-10 with the 4.3 and a trailer.

Chanman420q
05-17-2004, 07:24 PM
i was thinking about the S10 extreme 4.6 v6 5spd, but i dont wanna pay for the trailer. also all that gearing stuff u just said makes no sence to me. i dont know what all that means. im assuming the truck i get will have what ever gearing it came stock so.

also, my quad fits threw the wheel wells on my dads F150 with the 8ft bed, but lifting it over the wells wouldnt be a problem, other than i drive it into the back with ramps.

Guy400
05-17-2004, 07:31 PM
For the difference in the price of a full-size truck vs. an S-10 you could easily buy a trailer. It's about 15 years old now but I've got a small 4x8 trailer that I got from Quality Farm & Fleet (like Tractor Supply Company). I'm not sure if you have those exact stores but you're bound to have something like them. Anyway, it's a small trailer that only cost like $250. It's got a capacity of 1200lbs. but is light enough that I can literally pick up the rear end of the trailer when it's attached to the truck and move it (without a quad in it, of course). It pulls like a dream and is perfect for one quad. I'd get you a picture but it's pouring down rain right now.

SRH
05-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
i was thinking about the S10 extreme 4.6 v6 5spd, but i dont wanna pay for the trailer. also all that gearing stuff u just said makes no sence to me. i dont know what all that means. im assuming the truck i get will have what ever gearing it came stock so.

also, my quad fits threw the wheel wells on my dads F150 with the 8ft bed, but lifting it over the wells wouldnt be a problem, other than i drive it into the back with ramps.

it should def fit in the back of a s 10 unless the s 10 is alot msaller than ranger, my yfz which is almost at 50 inches will fit in ranger

bulkdriverlp
05-17-2004, 08:09 PM
dude if you want an s-10 you can get those tubular bed extenders that fold down onto your tailgate, i think they detach easily for loading not sure. but i would get a full size truck if you want to drive a little pile o crap drive a s-10 or a cavalier same difference!jmo.ed:rolleyes:

4wheelboy
05-17-2004, 08:32 PM
if gas prices keep getting higher im gona look into a desiel when i can drive:o

MichaelS693
05-17-2004, 10:12 PM
well i have a s-10 extreme and my 300ex barely fits in the bed of the truck while i have my shocks on... when i have it strutted for drag racing it wont roll in between the wheel wells so we have to pick the front end up... but after that it fits:D only other problem is u really have to have two people helping load it up too with pickin up the front end and stuff:rolleyes: but otherwise its a great truck on gas and for a quad hauler:D

TheFontMaster
05-18-2004, 02:33 PM
My dad's F-150 gets 13-15 mpg. really bad. I kow someone thats got the silverrodo 3500 diesl, and they said it gets like 18-20 mpg.

redroost85
05-18-2004, 02:58 PM
I have a '99 regular cab S-10, 2.2, 4 cyl and haul my 400 everywhere. I run +2's and have to lift the front end over the wheelwells, but you get used to it. However I run the stock axle and can't speak as to if an extended axle will fit...although you could just put the gate down and ratchet strap it down.

The only thing I wish I had was the v-6...more power is always better!:devil:

05-18-2004, 03:01 PM
the v8 toyota tundra is my dream truck...with the dual cab...

Scott-300ex
05-18-2004, 06:14 PM
i have a 77 F-250 and i love it, i have a lift and mud tires on it, but i love the look of the truck, to me it is the best body on a truck. You could get one and put like a 302 with fuel injection in it so you have good gas miliage. I have a 460 and don't get great milage if you know what i mean, haha

i like them though, you might too

Chanman420q
05-18-2004, 07:16 PM
i wont be lifting the truck, if anything ill be dropping it

redroost85
05-18-2004, 07:37 PM
:rolleyes: Good Lord Chanman...don't drop your truck.:huh

We got some guys that lowered their trucks too and everytime they pull into the track everyone points and laughs cause it looks so silly. :o

Don't you know that lowered trucks are for guys that can't get it up!;)

To each their own, but around here, if you pulled that stunt....you wouldn't have many friends.

Good luck with that though man.:)

SHOCKER
05-18-2004, 07:39 PM
tastykakekid has a s10 and his z400 with +3 longtravel front end fits in the back but he has to have the tail gate down to fit the length wise

Chanman420q
05-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by redroost85
:rolleyes: Good Lord Chanman...don't drop your truck.:huh

We got some guys that lowered their trucks too and everytime they pull into the track everyone points and laughs cause it looks so silly. :o

Don't you know that lowered trucks are for guys that can't get it up!;)

To each their own, but around here, if you pulled that stunt....you wouldn't have many friends.

Good luck with that though man.:)

believe me, if i pulled up in a truck that was lifted around here, id be the laughing stalk of the neighborhood. we come from diffrant areas. and in my area we like the ricer cars. i dont need no hick mud bogger.

and lowered trucks are for guys u cant keep it down;)

Maybe its the guys u raise there trucks cuz they cant get them selves up ehh:p

05-18-2004, 07:50 PM
lowered trucks are gay :rolleyes: go get yourself a little s10 so ever1 could laugh....

Chanman420q
05-18-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
lowered trucks are gay :rolleyes: go get yourself a little s10 so ever1 could laugh....

Ur just a dirtbag... enuff said

id rather be driving an S10 thats slammed to the ground then some truck to play in the mud with.

grow up. people around have more self respect then to look like a hick in those types of trucks.

and on top of this, ive seen ur truck... it doesnt get much lower than what you got.:huh

05-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Ur just a dirtbag... enuff said

id rather be driving an S10 thats slammed to the ground then some truck to play in the mud with.

grow up. people around have more self respect then to look like a hick in those types of trucks.

and on top of this, ive seen ur truck... it doesnt get much lower than what you got.:huh i never said to lift it dumbas...i just said dont lower it...my truck isnt lifter or lowered at all...i have all my money dumped into four wheelers & dont really like to drive

K2Snow
05-18-2004, 08:50 PM
believe me, if i pulled up in a truck that was lifted around here, id be the laughing stalk of the neighborhood. we come from diffrant areas. and in my area we like the ricer cars. i dont need no hick mud bogger.

and lowered trucks are for guys u cant keep it down;)

Maybe its the guys u raise there trucks cuz they cant get them selves up ehh:p

I know what you mean bro. I moved from the East Coast about 2 years ago, nothing but ricers and lowered trucks. I never even knew what a lifted truck was till I moved out to Cali. Have you looked at the Rangers at all?

MichaelS693
05-18-2004, 09:47 PM

dude seriously check ur attitude... i have a s-10 extreme and its lowered... i come from redneck country and heck i like 4 wheel drives too... the way i see it... 4x4's= Lift... 2x4's= lower;) :rolleyes: :blah:

Butters
05-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by MichaelS693
dude seriously check ur attitude... i have a s-10 extreme and its lowered... i come from redneck country and heck i like 4 wheel drives too... the way i see it... 4x4's= Lift... 2x4's= lower;) :rolleyes: :blah:

i'll second that.

05-18-2004, 10:03 PM
dude seriously check ur attitude... i have a s-10 extreme and its lowered... i come from redneck country and heck i like 4 wheel drives too... the way i see it... 4x4's= Lift... 2x4's= lower;) :rolleyes: :blah: disagree...everone has their own opinions though

Butters
05-18-2004, 10:13 PM
disagree...everone has their own opinions though

true.....but sometimes you just need to listen to others too.

redroost85
05-19-2004, 08:10 AM
Thanks for keeping it clean Chanman. Not trying to flame, just looking out for ya!;)

Just a thought though....if you lower the truck, then put your quad in the bed....that's gonna be pretty low huh? Maybe they have really stiff shocks you can put back there or something?:confused:

Just wondering how that would work.:)

brandon025
05-19-2004, 05:04 PM
I would keep your car to drive everyday(Good MPG) and pick up a cheap used truck under $1000(I don't know what your price range would be...)and just use that to haul your quad on the weekends. It's up to you though, also would depend on how many races you are goin to....

diesel-mech
05-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Quick thought.
I work with a guy who drives a 2001 dakota ext. cab V6 auto 2x4
He gets pretty decent milage, he rides a 03 z-400 and it fits in the back with room to spare. He bought the truck new, it cost about 13k (don't know if he had a trade) He really likes it and its good looking
My wife drives a 20004X4 dakota quad cab lifted with a 5.9 auto. No milage!! NO BED!! its like just over 5ft,

so don't get a quad cab or big v8!

I'm from Ohio and most trucks even 2x4's are lifted here. You still see a few dropped but not as many ( I think it goes in phases)

Chanman420q
05-19-2004, 08:02 PM
i dont care what people say about the truck, cuz honestly its my truck an ill have it the way i want it. F u all who dont like it, ask me if i care, id love to tell you no.

i dont like rangers all that much. if i get the chevy half ton, i wont be lowering it or anything, but if i get the S10, that beotch is goin down:p

440exnacsracer
05-19-2004, 08:34 PM
im dropping my f150 2" all around....def. not slammed, just to about a lightnings stock height, just want it to handle a little better and be sportier. prolly buy a late 80's Yota 4x4 to play around in this summer

and K2Snow...what part of the east coast did you move from? here in ga, actually just below atlanta, theres alot of lifted trucks...theres REAL lifted trucks here,....ones that actually need to be lifted, and theres places to get them stuck. my friends z71 w/ 15" of lift and 42s gets stuck, no to mention another guys f250 w/ 21 inches of lift, or better yet, though its a chevy, z71 w/ 25 inches w/ 46's

diesel-mech
05-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by K2Snow
I know what you mean bro. I moved from the East Coast about 2 years ago, nothing but ricers and lowered trucks. I never even knew what a lifted truck was till I moved out to Cali. Have you looked at the Rangers at all?
Not to be rude but I lived in so-cal for 4 years (8 years ago) I drove an 84 3/4 dodge 4x4 no lift 33" mud kings (nice truck!). That was one of the bigger trucks running around Ocean side and SanDiago(sp)
I only saw a hand full that were bigger. If CALI does have a lot of lifted trucks now, They are just new kids on the block cause I've seen them around OHIO and INDY all my life;)

Chef
05-19-2004, 09:19 PM
You dont need to worry about width in an S-10. My EX is just about 50" exactly and it fits fine in an S-10 Extreme, just have to pick it up over the fender wells. My friend (who owns the Extreme) has an EX set up for TT with +3's and 3/2 wheels and it just barely squeezes in. It touches the sides of the bed in the very back when coming in, but only with the rubber, the wheels dont touch. His bike is about 52".

05-19-2004, 09:41 PM
dont you already have the matching pink truck & car?

MichaelS693
05-19-2004, 10:23 PM
dont you already have the matching pink truck & car?

dude... i have noticed that in every thread you post in just about all u have to say is negative and smart@$$ comments... whats the deal.. i mena in no way am i tryin to get this thread locked which i wouldnt be surprised if it did... but i just want to know why all the negativity?:confused: :(

diesel-mech
05-19-2004, 10:25 PM
dude... i have noticed that in ever post just about all u have to say is negative and smart@$$ comments... whats the deal.. i mena in no way am i tryin to get this thread locked which i wouldnt be surprised if it did... but i just want to know why all the negativity?:confused: :(

don't get mad at me I just suggested a v6 dakota;) :D

Chanman420q
05-20-2004, 01:20 PM
it was all good til mr jumbo had to come in and hate on the lowered trucks

05-20-2004, 03:05 PM
it was all good til mr jumbo had to come in and hate on the lowered trucks boo hoo :rolleyes:

a worthless 4500 posts :blah:

Scott-300ex
05-20-2004, 03:42 PM
where the hell did my ford solid axle post go and lowered vs lifted is like FORD VS. CHEVY post go

well read that and get a solid axle and ford is the only ones who put them in now so go ford!
thats if you plan on mudding or off roading

nightrider05
05-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Hey..if you want it to fit in an S10 heres what you have to...We did this with my old s10 before someone hit me..Instead of lifting the front end up over the wheel wells you can build a set of ramps on both sides of each wheel well(one in front of the wheel well and one behind it) it can be made out of wood or if you know someone that welds good you can have them make a set out of metal but try to keep them light so they are removable. The only downside to these is that it makes your fourwheeler sit up about 3-5 inches taller in the back of your truck but it beats having to people two load it.If you want more details just send me a PM. I switched over to a dodge dakota and i've got a 3 1/2 and 5 inch drop on it. Might be changing over to bags here in a couple months. Good luck