PDA

View Full Version : Renthal's break in 1/2

Moded86R
05-17-2004, 06:24 PM
Tonight I get home and I have nothing to do.My 400ex needs the oil changed in it.(Because my girl freind drown it in a creek)

Anyway I get on my buddies 400 that he sometimes keeps at my house and take off down the road.I knew he wouldn't care if I rode it.

So anyway I start riding some wheelie's down my road.It's an 1/8mile straight.You can pull it up and ride wheelie's for a long time.Through 5th.Anyway I am ridin along in 4th gear and nail it and pull back on the bars.Throwing my weight back.

Right when I pull back I hear crack.And the left side of the handlebars break off.I didn't wreck it.Just pulled back to ride a wheelie.And they broke.

So now I owe my buddy a set of bars.

Here is a few pics.

roostin_dale
05-17-2004, 06:28 PM
never did like renthals...Tag bars are the way to go...

Moded86R
05-17-2004, 06:32 PM
This sucks.He's at work so he doesn't know yet.If he's real mad I will take the one's off my bike.If not I will order him a new set thursday.

Tommy 17
05-17-2004, 06:36 PM
are u sure there wasn't a stress fracture already in them...

my renthals have takin a beating... renthal is one of the strongest if not the strongest 7/8 bars on the market...

their twin walls are NEAR impossible to bend... and i u do bend them they will replace them for free...

Florida400EX
05-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Yeah, those had to be messed up from before some how. I've had Renthals my whole life. Never snapped, bent a little bit, but never snapped.

toby400ex
05-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Ive had the same set of renthals for 2 or 3 years, so many roll overs and theyre still straight.

Woodsrider
05-17-2004, 08:16 PM
LOL My quad spends more time on its back that a $20 hooker and the Renthals are still straight. In thinking those were cracked before you started pullin' wheelies.;)

keepitpinned
05-17-2004, 08:56 PM
i would get a set of pro taper cr hi bends. these are the sh*t. you'll need a bigger clamps, but they are much stronger

Moded86R
05-18-2004, 06:47 AM
I also run renthal's.I have had the same set on my R for the past 4 years without a problem.I've had them on my 400 about 4 month's so far.

I just talked to him.He's not mad.I am ordering him a new set thursday.He's not mad.You can tell I didn't flip it.

This is not the first time I have heard of this happening.I have heard of other's breaking in this exact spot.(right above the crossbar)

TC426EX
05-18-2004, 07:36 AM
Those things HAD to be allready cracked man. I have run 7/8 renthal CR HI bend bars on my quads for over 7 years and have NEVER had a single problem with them. Usually the steereing stem bends before those bars. I have bent a LSR stem and still had straight renthals. There is no way they cracked from pulling up for a wheelie I can tell you that. I would trust renthals over TAG's any day of the week.

Moded86R
05-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Yeah I agree.

If you look at the break closely there is a spot where it's a clean break.Meaning it was cracked.

On july 24th of 03.He smoked a tree in 3rd pinned It was that side of the handlebars that cut his leg open.He had to go get like 20 something stitches.He wasn't far from getting ahold of something else if you know what I mean.:eek2:

Imapro
05-18-2004, 12:23 PM
dude- you are the strongest man Alive!!!!!

Def. cracked before hand. rentals will bend in a circle before they snap like that, unless its on an impact which your was not.

05-18-2004, 12:46 PM
I"ve seen 2 sets of renthals snap from landing jumps... Thats why I"m not running them....:eek2:

YZEATER
05-18-2004, 01:38 PM
the ones you seen break from landing a jump were probably the same reason these ones broke, a previous crack from a roll over or crash. i would think that your arms or wrists would snap before you had the strength to break metal...

PEPwalshZ440
05-18-2004, 02:24 PM
wow...thats crazy...i've only seen 1 pair of renthals break and that is from casing big jumps and getting water inside the bars creating rust. CRAZY!! ur lucky u didn't wreck dude, nice save

PhilMoore
05-18-2004, 04:44 PM
My friend Josh had the same thing happen with his Renthals. Went to pull a wheelie and SNAP!