PDA

View Full Version : Reliability ???

lilmxe#43
05-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Anyone having any problems with their yfz motor wise? I have heard some people saying the yfz isnt as reliable as the honda and such, just wandering what is actually breaking on some bikes and how soon it breaks. Just dont want to invest all this money into the yfz and it break the first race.

Quad411
05-17-2004, 07:51 PM
I race flat track/tt racing, and I only had one motor problem, that is no big deal. I turn High RPM's, and hit the rev limiter and the only problem was a leaky water pump seal. $4.00 fixed it. I owned the first YFZ450 in IL, so I had mine for a while now.

Scottie Mac
05-17-2004, 08:02 PM
Reliability is what you make it. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Polaris all make fine motors. Funny how people who take care of their machines rarely ever have any "reliability" issues. I have had a YFZ for 8 months now, and have raced the snot out of it and have never had any problems what so ever. BUT, I change my old constantly, clean my air filter after EVERY ride and maintain it like it is supposed to be. WOW, what a concept. A lot of people don't take care of their machines, then when they break, complain that it is the quads "reliability"

Scott

airheadedduner
05-17-2004, 09:36 PM
The YFZ motor is an already proven design. The only failures I have heard of with the motor where operator error.

Quad18star
05-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Only problem Ive had has been Battery and Stator related ... Battery peoblem is a known defect in the YFZ ... even Yamaha knows this and has admitted to it .... the stator is probably a manufacturer defect cuz its RARE you see a stator let go on a Yamaha . Other than these .... motor runs like a bat outta hell !!!!

At the local MX races this weekend top 3 ATVs were YFZs ... All stock except for 2 that ahd pipes ... they were beating totally modded Z440s with about 25Gs invested in them .... tells you about tis power !!!!

400exBro
05-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Only problem Ive had has been Battery and Stator related ... Battery peoblem is a known defect in the YFZ ... even Yamaha knows this and has admitted to it .... the stator is probably a manufacturer defect cuz its RARE you see a stator let go on a Yamaha . Other than these .... motor runs like a bat outta hell !!!!

At the local MX races this weekend top 3 ATVs were YFZs ... All stock except for 2 that ahd pipes ... they were beating totally modded Z440s with about 25Gs invested in them .... tells you about tis power !!!!

ya becuase James banks was racing it... he can beat anyone on anything up here... he won last year a race on his stock 400ex!!!

Fleshwound
05-18-2004, 03:51 PM
james could win on a blaster...

he has proved that he can win in the states also, in 265 A.
hes takin #1 this year for sure on a pretty much stock bike.

05-18-2004, 03:52 PM
I bought mine in june last year it has raced 9 GNCCs 12hours of america and about 7 other harescramble along with a lot of riding around the house.

Not a single motor problem here

250R
05-19-2004, 12:03 PM
GNCCer, I have always been a Honda guy, but the new YFZ seems to be a little better bang for the buck when compared to the 450R. Sounds as if you have put yours through the ringer over the past year. I noticed you said you have not had any motor problems, has anything else given you trouble?

400grl
05-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Mine has been problem free so far......and it's a blast!!! :)

465Stroker
05-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Traci's practice quad has well over 200+ hours of race / practice and last weeks 6 Hours of America race with NO problems. Valve lash is still perfect! I cannot say enough about having good oil (Klotz 10/40 MX4) and Twin Air Air & Oil Filters. These motors in stock condition are bullet proof.
:macho

05-19-2004, 01:31 PM
250R the only problem i have had are self inflicted except for a broken axle! the frame has no cracks. there has been a few time I have forgoten to tighten a bolt or two and had some things come loose. Oh yeah and if you hit a tree wide open the front end breaks. other than that it's all been good!

Kennethyfz450
05-19-2004, 02:07 PM
i have no engine troubles... i let my warm up for around 5-15 mins depends on how long it takes me to get ready..

then i ride around pretty slow.. then i hammer on it.. i change oil, and after every oil change i clean the filter .. here lately its been really wet .. so i havent clean the filter in about 2 rides, but changed the oil..

right now i am going to get the filter and clean it, before church.

Quad18star
05-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by 400exBro
ya becuase James banks was racing it... he can beat anyone on anything up here... he won last year a race on his stock 400ex!!! I didn't go watch Banks race .... but up here in the Central region .... 1st 2nd and 3rd place were awarded to Yamaha YFZs this past weekend in the Junior Class . I wish I was racing this year .... :(

Kennethyfz450
05-20-2004, 07:04 PM
yesterday before i cleaned my filter i took it for a spin and when i got back i just pulled off the seat took the filter out cleaned it, brought it in the house and sit it by the fan. then i used my remote to shut the door.

i come home from school today and was ready to put the filter back in and i noticed i had my key on and the green light was showing.. i was like KLHASLD: DSKFJ DSF DL:KJF LDS!!!
cause i thought i always parked it in neutral but i guess i dont always.

so my first receation was to grab the clutch and pull choke out and start it .. it made a funny sound then i remember the air filter was out so i was like crap i ran in the house grabed the filter sprayed oil on it. then put it on and it started right up .. no battery issues i dont guess with mine.. but i always run my lights on ( i think it looks better anyway)