PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slips, should i change springs only ?

promisc
05-17-2004, 03:31 PM
My '01 400ex clutch slips at high rpm and grips only when the lever is completly released. The clutch cable is correctly adjusted. Billet, pressure plate, friction plates, spacer plates and basket are all in good shape. No burns, no grooves, no damage. Changing only my springs will change something or i have to change all the kit ? (i means 6/7 plates and springs). I heard that some types of oil can makes clutch to slip.

I see on RM the Tusk Clutch kit for 34.99, it seems to be a good deal but its B.O., they cant have this kit before 2 weeks :grr:

K_Fulk
05-17-2004, 04:42 PM
Just try getting some stiffer springs first and see if that keeps it from slipping. They should be about 12 bucks.

It may slip if you use synthetics but that usually only happens if you have some pretty serious motor mods.

Cannonball08
05-17-2004, 07:44 PM
mine was slipping in my 440, I didn't think springs would help but i was wrong. A $12.00 set of barnett HD springs made a world of difference.

cals400ex
05-18-2004, 12:24 AM
i have a hard time seeing a set of springs going bad and the fibers still good. i am not saying it couldn't happend but if it was me i would be replacing the fibers, steels, and springs at the same time.

promisc
05-18-2004, 09:19 AM
Maybe my frictions plates are done, i dont know, i dont know what a brand new set looks like. Anyone have a close picture of a new plate ? Is TUSK clutch kit better than EBC ? (i know that springs are EBC in both kits).

Im in CANADA( :mad: ), here i can have an EBC kit for 101$CAD taxes included. If i order the TUSK from Rocky M, it will cost me ~80$CAD tx, s & h included. But ill receive it not before 2 weeks, that sucks.

K_Fulk
05-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i have a hard time seeing a set of springs going bad and the fibers still good. i am not saying it couldn't happend but if it was me i would be replacing the fibers, steels, and springs at the same time.

It wouldn't really be that the springs are wore out. But the stiffer springs just hold the plates together better and resuts in less slipping.

If your plates are slipping bad they would smell burnt. And the steals would have a blueish to black color to them.

promisc
05-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Harder springs will make my clutch lever harder to pull or no big difference ?

K_Fulk
05-18-2004, 12:03 PM
You will notice some diffrence but its not a lot. If you don't already have a easy pull lever or hydraulic clutch it would be a good time to upgrade to make up the diffrence.

promisc
05-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
You will notice some diffrence but its not a lot. If you don't already have a easy pull lever or hydraulic clutch it would be a good time to upgrade to make up the diffrence.

Which lever kit do you recommend ?
Is "Easy Pull" a trade mark or a lever type ?

K_Fulk
05-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Its a lever type it just makes the lever easier to pull by giving you more leverage.
There is quite a few easy pull levers out there pep, works connection, asv.

Cannonball08
05-18-2004, 01:31 PM
listen to k fulk he knows what he is talking about.

powerslider
05-18-2004, 07:08 PM
You can measure the friction plate thickness to determine if replacement is needed-same with the springs. The service limit is .106 on the friction plates, you should also check for plate warpage (.006 max) Spring length 1.97 inches minimum length. The springs will loose tension with use so if your plates measure up ok replace the springs. I would stick to stock parts but it's your choice....