PDA

View Full Version : detroit locker

Scott-300ex
05-17-2004, 02:14 PM
if anyone has a detriot locker in there car,i have a question.

i have a 70 fairlane, 351cleavland and an open 9" with 2.75 gears, probably going to get 4.10 or 4.56's, well, im making it into a strip street legal car, and i want a locker for traction and stuff,

i heard one person say that on his racer car for 2 seconds only one tire would spin and then the locker would kick in, and that is hard on the axles and stuff, so i just want to know if this happens to other people

also, since it is supposed to come unlocked around the turns have you ever had it were it doesn't? since it is going to be a street car too, i want it to turn good

i don't want a spool because then my tires will chirp around the turns and then it bounces the frame and the body and you, so, none of that.

ok i have wanted a detroit locker for a while and i just want to make sure its going to be what it is supposed to

Guy400
05-17-2004, 02:43 PM
My locker would lock both wheels instantly. I can never recall any time where one wheel would spin before the other. I never felt it in the seat of my pants and my stripes were always even. The locker should disengage around corners if it's working correctly. The only word of warning I have for you is the noise they make. Because it's a mechanical locker the rear end will click around corners. When you turn it'll sound like a giant ratchet--it's perfectly normal. I actually had some punk kids laugh at me one night because they wanted to run a little on the street. I said sure and when I backed out of my parking space the rear end started to ratchet and they laughed because they thought my car was a heap--they didn't think so when they were watching tail lights grow smaller:macho

Scott-300ex
05-17-2004, 04:48 PM
yeah, i know that the rear tires are locked in full time except for corners, unless your talkin about that one guy i talked to yesterday at world ford challenge with his 65 mustang, he said "yeah, i had a detroit locker, but when i started doing my burnout i would go and one tire would spin and then the locker would just engage and clang it all together" im like "what, thats not how they work"

i heard they were loud, but i never knew they were that loud

hopefully all they'll hear is my cleavland motor and my procharger supercharger:D

thanks though man

Scott-300ex
05-17-2004, 04:49 PM
oh, what kind of car do you have?

TheFontMaster
05-17-2004, 05:06 PM
What is a spool? It sounds like what my dad's got on his F-150, with the shaking and all when it's in 4 wheel drive, I've been wondering what the shaking was all about.

Guy400
05-17-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
What is a spool? It sounds like what my dad's got on his F-150, with the shaking and all when it's in 4 wheel drive, I've been wondering what the shaking was all about. The shaking is from his 4-wheel drive. Your not supposed to be in 4WD on dry pavement.

A spool is a device in the rear end that locks the two axles together full-time. Unless your dad put a spool in himself than his truck doesn't have it. It's very bad for a street car to run a spool.

quadfamily
05-17-2004, 10:32 PM
If you're going to get a locker you should make sure you have at least 31 spline axles as well. Doesn't make sense to spend money on a 28 spline locker because you'll end up just breaking axles. And Guy, not all lockers make the loud ratcheting sound around corners. Mine doesn't. It's very streetable. I think mine has different springs in it. I've heard you can get different springs to make it more streetable. I got mine that way and I love it. It's nice knowing that you will DEFINTATELY not have any one wheel takeoffs! Lockers are teh way to go for sure.

perno
05-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Hey guys, my first post here. Anyways i've got a detroit locker in my blazer ( daily driver). The guy who told you one tires spins for a while probably had a limited slip, not a locker.
When cornering in my truck, I don't hear any ratcheting noises, but it does make a loud popping noise ocasionally when engaging. The locker will disengage when the friction from the street is greater than the torque from the engine. Basicaly when you let off the gas the locker will disengage. If your taking a turn and give it some throttle, it will lock up. Every once in a while this will happen to me and scares the crap out of me when I don't expect it. When I go wheelin in my truck I play mostly in the rocks so lockers are a must but I still do most of my drivign on pavement and I have no regrets on puttin in the locker.

Guy400
05-18-2004, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by quadfamily
And Guy, not all lockers make the loud ratcheting sound around corners. Mine doesn't.Hmm, everyone I've owned has made that sound and the one other person who's owned one had the sound as well. My dad had a true Detroit Locker in his Ford 9" and it made the ratcheting sound. I then had a locker in one of my GM 10-bolts that made the sound as well. I believe the name of the company back then was Traxx-Lok or something to that effect. Apparently they make newer ones now that are quieter. That's nice if you've got a car that sees the street pretty often. Personally, I always liked pulling into a car show or a cruise-in and having the rear end ratcheting. People "in the know" would look and grin :cool:

quadfamily
05-18-2004, 10:10 AM
mine is a true detroit locker for a 9" Ford Guy. I've had it since the late 80's!

diesel-mech
05-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Ok guys this post could take pages to explain how every thing actually works. Some of you are right, some are close, and a couple should not give advice on lockers at all. My question is why put a detroit in a car? Detroits one weak link is HARD ACCELERATION. That is what you are going to do in a strip car. launching from a dead stop. If a detroit is unlocked and you nail the throttle hard you can brake it. My suggestions is go with a high quality limited slip (spring type works awsome for cars) auburns, yukon,and eaton are about the best out there. If the limited slip isn't worn out there will be zero lag time. It will put power to both wheels evenly as soon as you hit the throttle. No noise, no popping, banging, jerking, lock delay, unlocking under coast situations then locking hard as soon as you hit the throttle again. road steer because one tire has alittle more air pressure than the other.
Detroit lockers where designed for off road use. If one tire leaves the ground or loses traction completely the other will still maintain forward motion. This is not a situation you will see in a street-strip car. I'm telling you, you are much better off with a good limited slip. You won't be disappointed.
I suggest calling Randy's ring and pinion. They are the only company I will ever deal with again!!! They know what they are talking about. I've delt with alot of driveline companies and I've built a ton of offroad vehicle. plus a few race cars. I know what I'm talking about too.
By the way a trac lok is made by eaton it is a limited slip not a locker (clutch type). It is used by most car manufactorers as OEM posi units. My wifes Dakota has a factory trac lok. Ford uses a power lock. Its also a limited slip. Chevy is about the only company that uses a real locker in its 3/4 and larger truck.
You don't want a spool (or mini spool) unless you are building a derby car, 100% drag car, or 100% offroad vehicle.
I have never had a detriot locker that wasn't noisey! if it isn't noisy that its prabably NOT a detroit locker.
Also posi traction was a sales gimmick from GM. There is no "posi" just limited slips, lockers and spools. Its like saying you have a 3/4 cam??? what the hell is that???

I hope this helps you. But really Call Randy's ring and pinion they will Help you a lot!!

Guy400
05-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by diesel-mech
By the way a trac lok is made by eaton it is a limited slip not a locker (clutch type).Like I said, it was years ago and I thought the name was something like Trac-Lok but I couldn't remember. Now that I looked through Summit's catalog what I had was the Powertraxx Lock-Right in my 10-bolt.

bama400ex
05-18-2004, 03:03 PM
If a detroit is unlocked and you nail the throttle hard you can brake it. maybe thats what happened to mine. i loved my detroit when it worked right. the way it is now im the only person that will drive my jeep, hell most people dont even want to ride in it. lol. oh yea, i dont like randys. ive only ordered from them once but they had slow shipping and screwed up my order.

quadfamily
05-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Diesel-mech,
You're right about the "posi" rears, that was just a catchy word GM called their limited slips. It's funny when you hear people say they don't want a limited slip but they want a "posi" because they're better! And when you try to tell them they're the same they refuse to listen. I disagree with your opinion about the detroit lockers being weak in the straight line acceleration though. I broke about 6 rears (and a few axles) before going with the detroit locker and Strange axles and haven't had a problem since. A couple I broke were the cone type "equilock" 9" ford differentials and the rest were the limited slip "spring & clutch type" 9" ford. The weak link in these is the side cover where it's machined out for the tabs that holds the clutches in place. Also the locker I have is a genuine detroit locker and like I said I got real lucky and it's a quiet one. You can hardly hear anything at all most of the time going around turns. I stand by my recommendation of the detroit locker if it's a serious horsepower street car. I wouldn't consider anything else. If they can stand up to my 6,000 RPM wheels up launches with slicks without missing a beat, then they are good in my book.

diesel-mech
05-19-2004, 05:57 PM
I disagree with your opinion about the detroit lockers being weak in the straight line acceleration though. I broke about 6 rears (and a few axles) before going with the detroit locker and Strange axles and haven't had a problem since. A couple I broke were the cone type "equilock" 9" ford differentials and the rest were the limited slip "spring & clutch type" 9" ford. The weak link in these is the side cover where it's machined out for the tabs that holds the clutches in place. Also the locker I have is a genuine detroit locker and like I said I got real lucky and it's a quiet one. You can hardly hear anything at all most of the time going around turns. I stand by my recommendation of the detroit locker if it's a serious horsepower street car. I wouldn't consider anything else. If they can stand up to my 6,000 RPM wheels up launches with slicks without missing a beat, then they are good in my book. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think I have not made my point clear. My point isn't that a detroit locker is weak. Not at all! I was triing to point out the one flaw in the design. The way it is designed you CAN brake it under a hard launch.This is a proven fact. Not that it is nessasarily going to in every instance. I'm sure that there are far less lockers that have been broken than what haven't been. But if you are running one in a drag race situation your chances of braking it are much greater.:eek2:

As far as the limited slip goes. I guess its a judgement call. I know a detroit is a lot stronger than most limited slips but not nearly as streetable. A good limited slip will grab almost instantly. I was not aware that we were talking about 600hp street cars with un-Goddly torque. If you are braking the carriers on a 9" ford I personally would jump to a Dana 60. I know it is just my opinion but you can rap a lot of $$ into an axle that is still a weak link. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad that in your case it worked out well, But the next guy may not be so fortunate. Why sacrifice streetability for a locker when a larger carrier would work better? It depends on the owners prefferance. Detroits are expensive, if it brakes and isn't warrantied than it would have been cheaper to run a larger diff. I say this from expieriance :(
I guess I am guilty of assuming that most people know nothing about how a diff works. I appologise. But in truth most people really don't have a clue. I was only hoping to shine some light on the subject to help with a wise chioce for a street rod. A good limited slip would (IMO) work out much better than expected. I think they are under rated when its possibly the best chioce.
Again I am sorry if I offended anyone;) That was not my intent. Also, about Randy's, I beleave that no body is perfect and every vender will screw up an order once in awhile. I do know that Randy's is the type of dealer to right a wrong to the best of their abillity. If you compare them to other venders they are MUCH more knowledgeable.

lil400exman
05-19-2004, 06:34 PM
just get a ARB and lock it and unlock it when you dont need it locked!;)

diesel-mech
05-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
just get a ARB and lock it and unlock it when you dont need it locked!;)

Electric locker would be better. ARB definately won't hold the power.;)

lil400exman
05-19-2004, 08:02 PM
Ok guys this post could take pages to explain how every thing actually works. Some of you are right, some are close, and a couple should not give advice on lockers at all. My question is why put a detroit in a car? Detroits one weak link is HARD ACCELERATION. That is what you are going to do in a strip car. launching from a dead stop. If a detroit is unlocked and you nail the throttle hard you can brake it. My suggestions is go with a high quality limited slip (spring type works awsome for cars) auburns, yukon,and eaton are about the best out there. If the limited slip isn't worn out there will be zero lag time. It will put power to both wheels evenly as soon as you hit the throttle. No noise, no popping, banging, jerking, lock delay, unlocking under coast situations then locking hard as soon as you hit the throttle again. road steer because one tire has alittle more air pressure than the other.
Detroit lockers where designed for off road use. If one tire leaves the ground or loses traction completely the other will still maintain forward motion. This is not a situation you will see in a street-strip car. I'm telling you, you are much better off with a good limited slip. You won't be disappointed.
I suggest calling Randy's ring and pinion. They are the only company I will ever deal with again!!! They know what they are talking about. I've delt with alot of driveline companies and I've built a ton of offroad vehicle. plus a few race cars. I know what I'm talking about too.
By the way a trac lok is made by eaton it is a limited slip not a locker (clutch type). It is used by most car manufactorers as OEM posi units. My wifes Dakota has a factory trac lok. Ford uses a power lock. Its also a limited slip. Chevy is about the only company that uses a real locker in its 3/4 and larger truck.
You don't want a spool (or mini spool) unless you are building a derby car, 100% drag car, or 100% offroad vehicle.
I have never had a detriot locker that wasn't noisey! if it isn't noisy that its prabably NOT a detroit locker.
Also posi traction was a sales gimmick from GM. There is no "posi" just limited slips, lockers and spools. Its like saying you have a 3/4 cam??? what the hell is that???

I hope this helps you. But really Call Randy's ring and pinion they will Help you a lot!!

diesel mech! i live in greenville too! wow someone on exriders from my own town! i own a 250R you?

lil400exman
05-19-2004, 08:03 PM
Electric locker would be better. ARB definately won't hold the power.;)
when a ARB is locked its almost indestructable! i havent seen one break under hard loads. not saying they cant but it would be reall extreme!:eek2:

Chef
05-19-2004, 08:17 PM
when a ARB is locked its almost indestructable! i havent seen one break under hard loads. not saying they cant but it would be reall extreme!:eek2:

ARB Stands for......?

660RaptorRider
05-19-2004, 08:22 PM
arb stands for Anterrior Rearend Braking

diesel-mech
05-19-2004, 08:38 PM

every time I've been out on a jamboree some one has broken the carrier or had some major problem with an arb

diesel-mech
05-19-2004, 08:42 PM
diesel mech! i live in greenville too! wow someone on exriders from my own town! i own a 250R you?

Your from greenville? Good get your butt over here and help with my tecate! e.4th st house with the big white dodge powerwagon out back. I'm driving an ugly red ford van POS my wife has the blue quad cab dakota quad cab 4x4 lifted with eagle wheels

quadfamily
05-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Diesel,
You're right, a limited slip would definately be better in a street rod. Again, I was totally unaware about the potential problem with the D/L. I've never heard that before. If I'm not mistaken, the Dana is a heavier rear and that is why most people go with the 9" Ford(that and the "semi quick-change" ability of being table to change center sections). And by the way, no offense was taken here by anything you said. One last thing though, you said sacraficing streetability in reference to the D/L. Remember what I said about mine being quiet? No jerkey turns or noise here. You should look into the different springs available for the locker. I don't know if they still offer them or not but it sure makes the difference in streetability. Bye the way what kind of car do you have?

lil400exman
05-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Your from greenville? Good get your butt over here and help with my tecate! e.4th st house with the big white dodge powerwagon out back. I'm driving an ugly red ford van POS my wife has the blue quad cab dakota quad cab 4x4 lifted with eagle wheels
ohhhhh man! i live up the street with a 250R and yz125 and a landcruiser sittin in the rear.............bring er up the alley:p

Bean
05-19-2004, 09:43 PM
well, first off, trax lok or something makes a locker like detroit, except it can be used in open carriers only, it replaces the spider gears in the thing, and goes inbetween the ring gear, it unlocks and locks like a detroit, probably aint quite as strong though, fyi, 4:10s are chevy axels, 4:11s are fords

diesel-mech
05-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Diesel,
You're right, a limited slip would definately be better in a street rod. Again, I was totally unaware about the potential problem with the D/L. I've never heard that before. If I'm not mistaken, the Dana is a heavier rear and that is why most people go with the 9" Ford(that and the "semi quick-change" ability of being table to change center sections). And by the way, no offense was taken here by anything you said. One last thing though, you said sacraficing streetability in reference to the D/L. Remember what I said about mine being quiet? No jerkey turns or noise here. You should look into the different springs available for the locker. I don't know if they still offer them or not but it sure makes the difference in streetability. Bye the way what kind of car do you have?

Had. 1974 Dodge challenger 440 dual fours (big power car) had a dana 60 in it 3:92 gears
2- 69 road runners both 383cid one 4-speed w/ d-60 4:10 gears one auto w/ 8 3/4 3:55 gears
87 wrangler rockcrawler 350cid dana44' lockers 4:88 gears
84 3/4 ton dodge powerram d-60s 4:56 gears
87 dodge dakota 2x4 360cid ford 9" 4:11 gears auburn limited
86 jeep cherokee rock crawler 4.2liter dana44's 4:88 loc rite (front) lincoln(rear) dana300 4:1 reduction
1968 dodge charger 500 440cid 4-speed dana60 3:92 gears
1979 powerwagon (my latest project still have it) tons of mods!!!

9" fords have a bearing behind the pinion gear. that makes them very strong. plus you can change third members. thats why they are well liked. Dana 60's are very heavy but in a good way the weight is where its useful. it is much stronger than a 9"

lil400exman
05-19-2004, 09:49 PM
just wondering diesel mech did your wifes dakota have a knocked out rear drivers side window? you live right next to that weird stone house with the owl on top:p u used to have a charger right? matter of fact i thought u had a 300ex when i drove by there on the 400ex:p

lil400exman
05-19-2004, 09:50 PM
btw diesel-mech i live on the great street of e4th too:rolleyes:

quadfamily
05-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the pinion pilot bearing in the ford rear. I knew there was something I was forgetting!

diesel-mech
05-19-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Bean
well, first off, trax lok or something makes a locker like detroit, except it can be used in open carriers only, it replaces the spider gears in the thing, and goes inbetween the ring gear, it unlocks and locks like a detroit, probably aint quite as strong though, fyi, 4:10s are chevy axels, 4:11s are fords

your right and there are several companies that make them. They are made for offroad situations they don't hold up well against big power or big tires. The pin that is used in the center of them (normally your top and bottom spider gears ride on it) is what engages it under power.it will brake. They make stonger ones which will strill brake but it will kill your carrier first.:rolleyes:

Don't waste your $$$$$

diesel-mech
05-19-2004, 10:06 PM
ohhhhh man! i live up the street with a 250R and yz125 and a landcruiser sittin in the rear.............bring er up the alley:p

Dude its in peices!!! you know my truck? you should see my parts for it in the garage! what block do you live on? what house? You live on the 400 block? By the dude with the vettes, Jim Ward? Have you seen my road runner that used to sit behind my house? Comp Orange, hurrican wheels,blah blah blah , Wait a min> is Joe badell(sp) your bro.?

Mr.Offroad
05-19-2004, 10:07 PM
I'm with Diesel-mech on this one. I have a Powertraxx Lock-Rite in my Samurai. And for wheelin', it's the only way to go. My '91 Ford pickup I used to have had a limited-slip, and for street use, it was smooth as silk. As far as ARB airlockers go, I think the theory is a good one, but I've seen too many of them fail on the trail, whether from air leaks or bustin' the rearend. Just my 2 cents

diesel-mech
05-19-2004, 10:18 PM
By the way your only partially correct about the gear ratios
why does a ford bronco have a 4:11 ratio in the rear and a 4:10 in front but has the same tire size? Just alittle trivia lol
any body want to take this one? I'm already impressed with alot of you. Your much smarter than I had thought at first.:D ;)

quadfamily
05-19-2004, 10:32 PM
Because the Bronco has a 9" Ford rearend and a Dana 30 or 44 front diff. depending on the year.

Mr.Offroad
05-19-2004, 10:37 PM
FYI, My '91 3/4 ton had 4:10's, as does my '89 F-350 diesel 4X4. Stamped right on the tag.

Guy400
05-20-2004, 05:48 AM
your right and there are several companies that make them. They are made for offroad situations they don't hold up well against big power or big tires. The pin that is used in the center of them (normally your top and bottom spider gears ride on it) is what engages it under power.it will brake. They make stonger ones which will strill brake but it will kill your carrier first.:rolleyes:

Don't waste your $$$$$ Maybe I got lucky then because I had a Lock-Right behind a 540hp small-block on slicks and never had a single issue with it up until the day I sold it.

lil400exman
05-20-2004, 07:14 AM
Dude its in peices!!! you know my truck? you should see my parts for it in the garage! what block do you live on? what house? You live on the 400 block? By the dude with the vettes, Jim Ward? Have you seen my road runner that used to sit behind my house? Comp Orange, hurrican wheels,blah blah blah , Wait a min> is Joe badell(sp) your bro.?

lol yea im on the 400 block..........only house for sale on there ;) (dont wanna blabber my address on here) but just come up the alley and look for a old rusted toyota landcruiser in the alley parked in front of a brick garage! naw my bro isnt joe even though i know him!:)

Scott-300ex
05-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Bean

if your talking about gears then no, my 1977 f-250 has 4.10's in back and it has 4.09's up front

like they both have 3.73's........ect.........

diesel-mech
05-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Ok I'm back the stupid comp. broke for 2 days.

Now then. Your 3/4 ton ford has dana axles. thats why you have 4:10 gears. gear ratio's have everything to do with the ring gear size. Gears in a 9" ford would not be strong enough do to its size. 4:11 holds more pressure for that size ring gear. and so on for other sizes. you can veri 3% in ratio's and be ok so in a 4x4 you can have a 4:09 in front and 4:11 rear and not bind up.

Now for the loc rite and 540 hp OOOOKKKK
I want everyone on this sight to know that NOTHING WILL EVER SUPRISE ME AGAIN!!!!!:eek2:

By the way quadfamily wins the trivia question:blah: Nice job!!

quadfamily
05-22-2004, 07:38 AM
what's my prize? what's my prize??

diesel-mech
05-22-2004, 07:43 AM
what's my prize? what's my prize??

A brand new quad of your chioce!!!

fine print, fine print, winner of trivia pays all cost for new quad, fine print fine print. Lots of legal talk blah, blah, blah,:devil: :devil: :macho