PDA

View Full Version : Z400 Vs. 400EX

blu89ford
05-17-2004, 01:34 PM
hey
im getting a new(ish) quad soon after i sell my xr400.

im thinking of either a 2000 or newer 400ex or Z400.

it will be just woods riding, fast trail riding and ill take it rausch creek over the summer.

what do you think i should go with???

honda_rider_08
05-17-2004, 01:43 PM
you can get a 400ex cheaper then you have more money for mods:blah:

rollie
05-17-2004, 04:08 PM
yeah...id get the EX:D

RMX500
05-17-2004, 04:46 PM
the new EX is running a better carb and is a problem free machine.

Fuchs105
05-17-2004, 07:35 PM
the Z is liquid cooled, quicker revving and makes about 2 more horsepower...but if money is a problem buy the EX

devildriver422
05-17-2004, 08:03 PM
im doin the same thing after i sell my 250ex....soon hopefully...and the only worse thing about the ex is no reverse but think of it like this....ur gonna save about $2500 by buyin the ex cuz 1. ur gonna pay at least 800 less for it cuz u can buy them old and then about 1500 on a frame when the z/kfx frame breaks cuz my friend hit a tree doin like 25 n his frame bent and if u jump it they wont last...so is it worth the extra $ just to have reverse or not

brif
05-17-2004, 08:45 PM
Buy the z. I had 2 400ex's, then a z and now a 450r. Between the ex and the z I'd buy another z. I had one of the first ones and never had any frame issues. I've seen alot of used z's bring about $3500(this was in march though). The z offers a comfortable seat, reverse, liquid cooling, handlebar mounted choke and a nice light clutch and thumb throttle. Mine was pretty quick as I had a full pipe, filter, both cams and some other stuff.
Sometimes I wonder why I got rid of it. Sure some say you don't need reverse, but believe me there will be times your glad you have it.
You can't go wrong with either, but myself would buy another z,........In fact I may so I could take someone along who doesn't have a quad.

wantinga400ex
05-17-2004, 09:08 PM
I have to make this choice also...i really don't like the suzuki dealer as much as my yamaha/honda shop, but i would actually like reverse...dunno:confused:

05-17-2004, 09:12 PM
i ride tight trails & its was no problem for me to get off my lazy *** to turn my quad into another direction or use some ingenuity for turnarounds....if you come across a Z you like get it...if you come across a EX you like before then get it...you cant go wrong with either really except the first year z400s....there frames & axles & aarms are REALLY weak . ;)

Kennethyfz450
05-18-2004, 04:43 AM
i would buy the 400ex...

400ex_drummer
05-18-2004, 04:58 AM
the ex is best, more money for mods because of what you saved and unless ur guna race xc or long mx races then the air cooling shudnt be a problem. reverse for me is not a big deal there not too heavy to lift the end round or push!

SHOCKER
05-18-2004, 07:11 AM
i think a Z would be a better investment,

no duh the frames going to break if ya hit a tree at 25 geez, you gotta be jumping hard to have the upper shock mounts crack, they make frame braces and gusset kits if you start jumping hard, so far no one has really had many problems with the axles unless thye where again jumping hard or they added wheel spacers,

i guess its diferent with some of you guys becuase you ride trails and stuff and out in the dunes the ex's i have heard are under power, my friends got one and it doesnt seem under powered but i have a Z and it will take me where ever when ever

350Xrider
05-18-2004, 08:29 AM
def the z400, liquid cooled and has reverse and it looks better, i personaly love the white ones

TC426EX
05-18-2004, 11:37 AM
400EX all the way... Z400's are PILES OF CRAP. Do NOT buy one if you know what is good for you... I have buddies with 2 z's one cracked 3 frames and the other buddy with a KFX cracked one too and every other part on the bike is total chintzy crap. Why pay more for a Z? By the time you are done putting money in it just to run you could have a pissed off 400ex with every mod in the book....

TC426EX
05-18-2004, 11:48 AM
www.baldwinmotorsports.com (http://www.baldwinmotorsports.com)

check this website out and give mark baldwin a call....

brandon025
05-18-2004, 12:43 PM
A little off topic, but I would consider doing some kind of trade for your XR400 for my 400ex. Mods are in sig. Where are you located?

400exstud
06-16-2004, 08:26 PM
It is so close between the two. I am 14 and I have a 400ex. I grew up on my friends blaster, got my ex about a half a year ago. I wouldn't get the z though just because I like the peace of mind of the honda reliability.:cool:

allaboutHP
06-16-2004, 08:40 PM
i just bought an 03 z400 with aftermarket a-arms,axle,and a gussetted frame. plus exhaust filter and jetting for $3850.00. compared to my 440ex i woulld rather have the z.ive always been a honda owner but the z is a really nice machine. it looks better, revs quicker,and has more top end than my 440. the only thing the 440 has is the low end and mid range hit that i really like,and the ex i think does handle better!

400exrider36
06-16-2004, 10:58 PM
i hit a tree in 3rd gear on my 03' 400ex,(it was in the winter so i couldn't stop in time)but it hit on the right front tire and it bent the rim a bit and bent the frame so the tire sits an inch or two back. Theres not cracks or anything serious. but anyway i would get the 400ex. for one its cheaper, and another, your not really getting a whole lot more on the z400 for 800 some dollars more.

bignorm
06-17-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by TC426EX
400EX all the way... Z400's are PILES OF CRAP. Do NOT buy one if you know what is good for you... I have buddies with 2 z's one cracked 3 frames and the other buddy with a KFX cracked one too and every other part on the bike is total chintzy crap. Why pay more for a Z? By the time you are done putting money in it just to run you could have a pissed off 400ex with every mod in the book....

yeah listen to this guy he definetly knows what hes talkin about my old z sucked balls. i broke the frame the steering stem mount. the swing arm is junk, plastics suck (my god they suck) uh what else axle sucks. i have yet to bend my stock yfz 450's. so if ur lookin for a good quad get any of the 450's or a 400ex.. there wonderful quads and if u buy a z just post a list of the problems uve had with them.

-josh

lsittingbull
06-17-2004, 01:15 AM
Yea, I was in the same boat as you blue89ford, I trail ride alot and what the z offered was hard to pass. you get nearly the same bike as the 400ex but updated. Also check out the new 05 z`s for what you r getting on these bikes is a great deal. New cams, better carb and shocks. When the mags test the 05 z vs the 05 400ex the z will dominate every catagorie(sp). Heck it might even give the 450 a good run.:D

Quadzilla
06-17-2004, 07:37 AM
Bottom line:

- Z has 2-3 more peak hp out of the box and revs a little bit faster
- EX has more low to mid hp and torgue
- Z will run better in extremely hot conditions
- Z has reverse
- EX handles slightly better (slightly lower center of gravity)
- EX frames are tougher than Z
- From what Ihave seen both motors are reliable (I ride with 4 Z's twice a month, I'm the only EX)
- Money saved on buying used or new EX can make it as fast if not faster than Z.

They both have their pros and cons. I'm here to tell you FIRST HAND that they are very close in performance or out of the box (stock). The Z does respond better to minor mods (pipe, jetting, etc) and even more-so to major mods (piston, cam, etc). I think that the Honda chasis is superior both in handling, longetivy of bushings, bearings and also overall strength (frame and swingarm). You can't go horribly wrong with either.

lol
06-17-2004, 07:19 PM
i was in the same position, i wanted a z but i found this ex for a great price, i liked the z alot and i have ridden one but i would take my ex over it anyday, trust me, the ex is a honda, it will run forever!

allaboutHP
06-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Quadzilla
Bottom line:

- Z has 2-3 more peak hp out of the box and revs a little bit faster
- EX has more low to mid hp and torgue
- Z will run better in extremely hot conditions
- Z has reverse
- EX handles slightly better (slightly lower center of gravity)
- EX frames are tougher than Z
- From what Ihave seen both motors are reliable (I ride with 4 Z's twice a month, I'm the only EX)
- Money saved on buying used or new EX can make it as fast if not faster than Z.

They both have their pros and cons. I'm here to tell you FIRST HAND that they are very close in performance or out of the box (stock). The Z does respond better to minor mods (pipe, jetting, etc) and even more-so to major mods (piston, cam, etc). I think that the Honda chasis is superior both in handling, longetivy of bushings, bearings and also overall strength (frame and swingarm). You can't go horribly wrong with either.

quadzilla, u are right both machines are good ones but the z400 revs a good bit more quicker not just a little more than the 400ex in stock trim. i like both of my machines though.

khen
06-17-2004, 10:36 PM
I haven't raced a modified Z but my 400EX(mods in the sig) beat a stock Z by a few quad lengths up sand mountain(Little Sahara Utah) last weekend. It would be a very tough decision in my mind though. In looking them both over side by side, I would say overall the Honda is built better, but I do like the idea of liquid cooling and the engine on the Z.

KFX21
06-18-2004, 12:50 AM
I've raced my '03 KFX For the past 1 1/2 years and never
had a problem with the frame or axle. Tires, jets, and a
HMF Slip-on is all the after market parts on it. If trail riding
is all he's gonna do, the Z is better suited, simply 'cause
the stock clutch is better in the Z, and reverse, it will run
at a more constant temp, the susp. is a lot plusher, and it
does'nt vibrate as much.