PDA

View Full Version : adjusting throttle-300ex?

bradley300
05-17-2004, 07:47 AM
just wondering if there is a way to adjust the throttle so i dont have to push it so far to get to full throttle. on my 300, i have to push the throttle in so far that i get horrible thumb crampsless than 2 miles in to a race, as the race goes on it gets better, but it dosent go away. i have tried moving the whole throttle assy. all around to different spots, but it dosen seem to help. never had this problem on my blaster either and b4 my 400ex carb, it hapened but it wasnttoo bad and usually went away pretty quick. i already know there is no way i can ride a twist throttle, so does anyone have any other sugestions? oh yeah, the throttle cable is new too. thanks

300exOH
05-17-2004, 07:57 AM
I have the same problem with mine. I didn't notice it when it had the stock bars but since I put aftermarket bars on I haven't been able to get mine right either. I was thinking of trying a different bend to see if that helps. It's hard to find a good position. If I set it to be comfy for WOT then it isn't good at cruising speed.

Let me know if you find a solution.

Gatorman199
05-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Yeah, I USE to have that problem. Beside where your cable runs into ur thumb throttle thingy there is a little rubber boot pull it off and there is a small metal disk twist and play around with that until it is tighter or looser according to how you like it. Not too far or it will flood the engine when you hit it hard and it will sputter but only for a second.

redrunner
05-17-2004, 10:28 AM
I guess I don't ride that fast to have that problem:confused: , but i think you are supose to have 4-6mm of play on the lever. That is to be sure your throttle backs off all the way. You could tweak that a little just be sure to check every once and while that you are not to far out. What about those after market units?

300exOH
05-17-2004, 11:32 AM
What about those after market units? [/B][/QUOTE]

I think mine is adjusted correctly. I looked into the aftermarket throttles but they are sooo expensive. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to deal with it.

ZSK
05-17-2004, 07:01 PM
I know a couple people who have done this and a couple who have F''ed up doing it so... The actual spring that snaps the throttle closed can be lightened. You can remove the spring and grind a very small amount off of it to lighten the pull. Like I said be careful couple people took too much off and broke there spring.

partyboy300ex
05-17-2004, 07:08 PM
i had the same thing i took the screww out and movver it up and it was better for me.

bradley300
05-18-2004, 09:16 PM
thanks for the suggestions, but my biggest complaint is not a stiff throttle, but the throttle travel from idle to full throttle is so far, i have to stretech my thumb to get full throttle out of it. if i twist the housing up, then i get thumb cramp during the low throttle positions.

is there any way to adjust just the lever so full throttle dosent stretch my thumb so much? thanks again

redrunner
05-19-2004, 04:57 AM
I tell you what who ever desgns and sell at a reasonable price a "geared" thumb throttle to reduce stroke could make some cash. Other than that Bradely I think you are S.O.L.:(

bradley300
05-19-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by redrunner
I tell you what who ever desgns and sell at a reasonable price a "geared" thumb throttle to reduce stroke could make some cash. Other than that Bradely I think you are S.O.L.:(
yeah, thats kinda what i'm thinkin'. anybody have info on the aftermarket units? i didnt even know that was an aftermarket thumb throttle. can the throttle lever be taken off the housing? i can probably get one fabbed up by a buddy at a machine shop if the lever will come off

ex kid
05-19-2004, 11:07 AM
try the blaster thumb throttle housing on the 300ex.

ive seen Cdales with honda throttle housing and yammi's too. the stretch might be different.

bradley300
05-19-2004, 08:46 PM
i thought about that, since i have a blaster sitting right next to my 300 anyway., i'll try it when i get some time and tell you guys what i think

ghak99
05-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Many quads have different ratios. I am not positive, but you might try a honda utilty and see if they are any shorter stroked.

bradley300
07-01-2004, 08:45 PM
just an update, i flipped the ole 300 a few weeks ago and it bent my steering stem (roll design:mad: ) back about an inch and turned my bars down about the same- thumb pump is almost totally gone now! also, i have heard of people using a trx90 throttle lever, so ive got one in the garage, just need to get it mounted

Bill Fuller
07-01-2004, 09:08 PM
I have the 90 throttle on my YFZ and it's sweet.It's about an inch longer than the 400 throttle and iliminates the need for a thumb saver.Very good mod.

300exOH
07-01-2004, 09:36 PM
TRX90 thumb throttle huh? I might give it a try too. Let us know how it works out.

It sounds like a simple bolt on as long as the cable will still work.:cool:

Braff1
07-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Brad, I have a twist throttle if you want to try a twister.

bradley300
07-02-2004, 09:32 AM
thanks dan, but i'd kill myself w/ a twister

Braff1
07-02-2004, 03:14 PM
you can't stop hitting trees now with the thumb throttle either Brad! lol