PDA

View Full Version : Tired of gas prices?

Guy400
05-17-2004, 05:50 AM
Something we can all appreciate...

Guy400
05-17-2004, 05:50 AM

xr50layke
05-17-2004, 06:23 AM
hahaha

redroost85
05-17-2004, 07:38 AM
LOL!:D That reminds me of a thing I saw on the news this weekend, It was on a Shell sign in front of the gas station somewhere out in California....which read:

87.....$2.39
Premium.....Arm
Super......Leg

:D

05-17-2004, 08:53 AM
HAHA

Usually i drive to school every day, i have been all year, which is about 30 miles round trip, but starting today and for the rest of the year i'll be riding the bus because of these damn gas prices, it was 1.99 a gallon on friday around here for regular unleaded, i can't take it, lol, i told my parents we should trade my s-10 off for a crotch rocket:P

cool 300ex
05-17-2004, 09:12 AM
That second one was good. Here gas is $2.00 for 87 they said by early to mid summer it will be as high as $2.50+. Some one said they might not stop till gas is around $4.00 a gallon.

Quad18star
05-17-2004, 09:48 AM
When you guys are paying $4 a gallon , think about the people that live to the North of you ... Here In Canada , we're gunna be paying around 9 dollars a gallon if you guys hit $4 . :(

Guy400
05-17-2004, 10:03 AM
I'm not happy about the gas prices but in reality the cost of gasoline has stayed remarkably under the rate of inflation. Given inflation over the last 20 years, gasoline should be over $5/gallon. The fact that we're clipping $2/gallon is amazing.

The other thing I struggle with is the fact that 40% of the cost of gasoline is combined tax. That means $.80 of every $2.00 of gas goes straight to the local, state and federal governments.

xr50layke
05-17-2004, 10:59 AM
crotch rocket, good idea....might be getting one

wilkin250r
05-17-2004, 11:37 AM
Gas prices go up, it happens, because we (the American people) are a bunch of idiots. California is driving most of it.

The idiotic people say "we need to protect the environment". Oil refineries are bad, they pollute, so we pass legislation that requires oil companies to jump through SO many hoops to open a new refinery, that they don't bother. It's too expensive, and too much of a hassle, because we made it that way. We are stupid.

But we all want to drive our gas-guzzling SUVs. So now the existing refineries cannot keep up with demand. Anybody take Economics in High School? The laws of supply and demand. When demand goes up, but supply does not, where does the price go? That's right kiddies, it goes up.

It our own fault, why are we *****ing about it? Can't we face the consequense of our actions?

Guy400
05-17-2004, 11:42 AM
Wilkin, to add to your point of supply and demand. We've got wells all over this country that have got plenty of oil in them and the government has capped them because of pressure from environmentalist groups. I don't want to wreck our natural habitats but I'll sacrifice an Oklahoman Bambi and an Alaskan moose to make our country more self-sufficient.

Pladeaux
05-17-2004, 11:48 AM
haha nice cartoonz and comments,
I just bought a new Dodge Ram Diesel in order to get better mileage towing and slightly better pricing at the pump. Traditionally Diesel has been lower than all regular gas for the last 50 or so years. (im 50) Now Im paying almost 2.60 a gallon here in Sunny Southern California. Right now 87 is avg 2.20, 89 around 2.30 and 91 around 2.40. I am getting shafted big time by all this. My first Diesel and look what happens.

Plad

86350x
05-17-2004, 11:49 AM
It's gonna go back down to just above 2 bucks tommorw, then shoot back up to 2.15 or higher on wendsday or thursday.

Tuesday's are usually good fill up days.

We have horses, quads, bikes, and snowmobiles. I need a full size truck with a v8 for a toy hauler. Aren't people allowed to have hobbies anymore. Gas prices are b.s., and I'll just leave it at that.:grr:

hond_rider52
05-17-2004, 12:30 PM
gas here today is 1 dollar a liter preaty bad last summer it was only 75 cents a liter

2001400ex
05-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Gas prices go up, it happens, because we (the American people) are a bunch of idiots. California is driving most of it.

The idiotic people say "we need to protect the environment". Oil refineries are bad, they pollute, so we pass legislation that requires oil companies to jump through SO many hoops to open a new refinery, that they don't bother. It's too expensive, and too much of a hassle, because we made it that way. We are stupid.

But we all want to drive our gas-guzzling SUVs. So now the existing refineries cannot keep up with demand. Anybody take Economics in High School? The laws of supply and demand. When demand goes up, but supply does not, where does the price go? That's right kiddies, it goes up.

It our own fault, why are we *****ing about it? Can't we face the consequense of our actions?

I'd have to say I agree. What's up with California...serioussly?

Punk'd
05-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Im with Bush! take iraq:rolleyes:

NTPracing22
05-17-2004, 04:12 PM
bush is half the reason the prices are this high, i don't expect to see him in office next time around

MOFO
05-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by NTPracing22
bush is half the reason the prices are this high, i don't expect to see him in office next time around

oh, please explain this one! :rolleyes:

cody anderson
05-17-2004, 04:21 PM
I think we should bomb the crap out of the middle east, take the oil, then pave all of the middle east so we have a parking lot for all of our new oil!!!:blah:

Guy400
05-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
oh, please explain this one! :rolleyes: LMAO...I wasn't going to say anything :D

Gas prices are high because of:
1.) OPEC
2.) Local, state and federal tax

...Bush has little to nothing to do with it. I wish I could find the pie graph again but now I can't. It was a breakdown of the cost of gasoline in America per gallon. As I already stated, taxes make up 40% of the total cost. Purchase price of crude was something like 15%, refining cost was 25%, transport was about 5%, profit for the oil companies was roughly 10% and profit for local gas station was about 5%. These numbers are from memory from last week but they're close. As you can see the 2 biggest controllable factors are taxes and the cost of crude. Total profit and transportation are miniscule and I believe the companies have a right in a capitalistic society to make a profit on their goods.

And to add, the price of crude dropped after we invaded Iraq and the oil fields weren't destroyed as was feared. After the price drop OPEC has steadily raised the price for no known reason.

MOFO
05-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Guy, you might get a kick out of this...

I need to show our local Brinks guys... :devil:

Guy400
05-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Guy, you might get a kick out of this...

I need to show our local Brinks guys... :devil: I got that one too via email:D

markeg192
05-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Im with Bush! take iraq:rolleyes:

Gallagher the comedian used to say something like......"There should be a way to drill into the earth and suck that oil right out from under 'em"

JustRace
05-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by markeg192
Gallagher the comedian used to say something like......"There should be a way to drill into the earth and suck that oil right out from under 'em"

that reminds me of the simpsons episode when burns steals the oil out from under the school.

I have to much freetime :(

NTPracing22
05-18-2004, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Guy400

profit for the oil companies was roughly 10%

when gas was down around a dollar a gallon, they were bringing in BIllions quarterly, and said that a large amount of that income goes to "research and developement". you know as well as the next guy, these oil companies aren't the most honest of people and they just toss a few handfulls into thier pocket (theoreticly speeking).

I'm not making this up, It's on 20/20 and the headline news time and time again, and bush just turns his head because he's all for oil companies.

Guy400
05-18-2004, 08:34 AM
when gas was down around a dollar a gallon, they were bringing in BIllions quarterly, and said that a large amount of that income goes to "research and developement". you know as well as the next guy, these oil companies aren't the most honest of people and they just toss a few handfulls into thier pocket (theoreticly speeking).

I'm not making this up, It's on 20/20 and the headline news time and time again, and bush just turns his head because he's all for oil companies. Look, facts are facts. When 10% of the price of gas is profit for the oil companies I don't get bent out of shape about it. They're a company and they're entitled to a profit. What company is out there that doesn't make money? 10% is a small profit margin and certainly it's acceptable. If you were selling an item that you manufactured wouldn't you expect to turn a profit on it? If you made skid plates for quads and they cost you $50 to produce and ship wouldn't you like to sell them for $55? That's the same percentage that oil companies presently function under. Why aren't you out protesting against Honda for their ridiculous profit margin on their quads? It's much higher than 10%. My father in-law works at the Lordstown GM plant where they make the Cavalier, Sunfire and the new Cobalt. There are graphs in the plant that show the total cost of building a car (per unit) when all materials are included, overhead for running the plant for the day, salary for employees, worker's comp claims, etc. After all that a Cavalier costs GM $1800 to build. That same car is sold for $12,000+. If GM operates like this than you know all the other manufacturers do as well. Are you going to boycott the sale of all automobiles in the U.S. and say that every President we've ever had has turned a blind eye towards big business? It's ridiculous. OPEC has the world by the balls and they're the ones that dictate gasoline prices at the pump.

I will voice one frustration I do have with the oil companies though. When the price of crude futures goes up than prices at the pump rise that day. The problem with that is the gas we're using today was purchased months ago and should reflect prices paid then. When the futures go down the prices don't drop as fast as they rise.

nuttynewt
05-18-2004, 09:33 AM

yer stupid. you shouldn't listen to all the democratic propoganda. :D

ShiftFMX
05-18-2004, 04:58 PM
im glad my truck gets over 20 mpg :devil:

NTPracing22
05-18-2004, 05:25 PM
guy-you make a valid point, but say the cost of those 18,000 dollar cavaliers (as well as other cars) more than doubles in less then a year, don't you think that people's arm's will be up in fustration? I have nothing against companies making money, hell i have my own company. And because of everyone elses's costs going up, mine have to now also.

its just a huge snowball that going to set us off sooner or later, gas is up, steel is up, intrest rates are homes are going up, and we're losing money in it all because we've been selling out to japanese and chinese. I wish I had the figures I had about a month ago, they told how much our own production has gone down and how much our importing has gone up, which means jobs just keep goin down. We're heading for a huge inflation yet again. I think we'll be able to get everything under control by the end of the summer though

Im not trying to argue with anyone, just throwing some facts out there

Guy400
05-18-2004, 06:19 PM
guy-you make a valid point, but say the cost of those 18,000 dollar cavaliers (as well as other cars) more than doubles in less then a year, don't you think that people's arm's will be up in fustration?You've settled the argument right there. The price of crude has doubled which we have no control over. I would agree with you if crude was still at $20 per barrel and we were being charged $2/gallon for gas but crude closed a couple days ago at $42/barrel. When crude was near $20/barrel our gas prices were at $1.19/gallon. Crude goes up to $42/barrel and our gas price has now reached $2.00/gallon. In effect, OPEC has doubled the cost of crude from them but the oil companies have not doubled our cost at the pump.