PDA

View Full Version : $300 worth of mods

Florida400EX
05-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Ok, I have around $300 to spend to try and get more power out of my EX. What is the best way to go. I was thinking keeping the stock bore, going with a HMF Bill Ballance Slip-on, UNI fitler, jets, and a sparks timing key. What are your guy's opinions, or suggestions on what will give me the most power? I ride MX just to let you guys know.

Thanks!

cals400ex
05-16-2004, 11:57 PM
with $300 you can actually do some good.

i would recommend a cam and piston. you should be able to get this for around that price along with gaskets and boring/honing. it may be a tad over, but not much. this will give you more benefits than a pipe will. i realize that a pipe would help out, but the cam/piston would do more, even when running a stock pipe. you would only need to buy a couple keihin jets and you should be set.

Florida400EX
05-17-2004, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't be to excited about tearing into the motor, right off hand. I really don't like the stock exhaust, I feel like it resticts a lot of the power that this machine can make. I will only have my EX for a couple more months or so, and I just want a little extra punch for MX. I myself as a rider is faster than a lot of guys on 450's but they are beating me badly on straights, and out of corners, while I'm doing everything else faster. Which slip-on pipe would add the most, while being combined with a sparks timing key, uni filter, and jets?

EXDUNER127
05-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Your mods are a good idea, dont get a cam and piston yet. Wait and get that later. you dont want to run a cam and piston with your stock exhaust:rolleyes: it would restrict most of the power you could recv from them. do the slip on and other stuff you want first, then in the future worry about that stuff when you have more money!:D

Florida400EX
05-17-2004, 04:29 PM
These are just mods, to get a little more power, until I have enough saved for a 450. What do you guys think is the best exhaust for my budget?

quadkrazy400ex
05-20-2004, 07:34 PM
i have procircuit exhaust and it sounds awesome. also while your at it get a 14 tooth front sprocket....it helps alot. i can out holeshot a lot of bikes now, including a raptor and predator.