PDA

View Full Version : Hey Pappy.........

shamisc
05-16-2004, 09:44 PM
I just bought some +1 Nickel plated a-arms from Burgard and I'm having issues with them. They fit so snug in the frame mounts that I had to tap them in with a rubber hammer. Now they won't move when you sit on the quad. You can even stand on the front bumper and the shocks won't compress until you jump up and down on it. Is this normal? Should the black bushing fit so tight? Do I need to grease them? I rode it pretty hard today at a new mx track and I thought they would loosen up a little, but they didn't! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I was wondering if I could get a couple of the red Burgard sticker to put on the arms? Thanks

JOEX
05-16-2004, 10:04 PM
Excuse me while I but in..........:p

I have Burgard +1 also. One arm was off by about 1/8", too wide. Pappy said to call Burgard, I did and he replaced it with no problem.

shamisc
05-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Do you think that it could be all 4? You are suppose to leave the black bushings in, correct?

shamisc
05-16-2004, 10:26 PM
k

shamisc
05-17-2004, 10:29 AM
yeah

JOEX
05-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Mine went in tight but not that tight. Leave the bushings in and they need to be lubed.

Tommy 17
05-17-2004, 01:15 PM
what black bushing??? i had burgard +1 and they worked perfectly fine...

black bushin are u talkin about the plastic cover that they sned on the balljoints to protect them???:huh

K_Fulk
05-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Where the a-arm bolts to the frame.

Tommy 17
05-17-2004, 06:37 PM
o aight... mine were red and silver...

shamisc
05-23-2004, 07:53 PM
OK, I have my Elka's installed now and rode the local mx track for about 4 hours today, and the damn a-arms are still tight!!:confused: You can sit on the front bumper and the shocks won't compress at all. You have to bounce up and down on the bumper to get them to move. Will they eventually loosen up??:confused: It just don't seem right to me.

Ohio R
05-23-2004, 08:13 PM
Shouldnt the shocks still compress even if the a arms are tight? If the wheels are on the ground and your pushing down on the bumper, I would think the shocks would still compress.

Pappy
05-23-2004, 08:25 PM
i know he recently switched to a new bushing supplier. id suggest giving him a call and explaining it to him.

i was also told that the arm (with no shock mounted) should move freely, however i havent seen that with burgard, leagers and others that ive had chance to work with. some seem to fit better then others (bushings that is) i installed some nickle burgards on the wifes 300, i gave them a shot of wd-40 before i installed the bushings and they work fine. also make sure you didnt over tighten the a arm bolts. ive seen a ton of frames all tweaked from people tightening down those bolts way too tight.

ohioR is correct also, normally its when you let off the downward pressure (when the suspension should rebound up) that is an indicator of some part in the suspension not working. could be bushings are wore out, bushings too thick, bolts over torqued etc.

i like the heim end a arms but they move you into another price range so alot of people avoid them and the increased maintenence they require.

shamisc
06-10-2004, 12:42 AM
Well, the arms are still too tight after about 10 hours. I removed the shocks, and you have to use some elbow grease to get the arms to move! You can pull the a-arms up with the wheels and tires on, and they stay up! It's also kinda hard to push them down. They should just fall down with the weight of the tires! WTF??? I loosened the a-arm bolt up and even took the nuts off, and they're still too tight. I'm clueless!!!:confused: :huh

INFANTRY RACING
06-10-2004, 05:31 AM
take the metal spacer out and maybe file a little off the bushings

Guy400
06-10-2004, 05:38 AM
shamisc, are you reading the replies to this thread or just typing:huh Pappy is telling you to contact Burgard and explain your situation. All you keep telling us is you're riding for hours on end and it's not getting any better. If it's not getting any better than I'd stop riding and fix the situation.

I had a set of Burgard standard travel +2's. The only place I had trouble was on the left lower a-arm mounts. The steel sleeve was just a hair longer than the rest on the rear mount. I hit that with a file a couple times and it went in pretty easy. The left lower front a-arm mount went in with quite a bit of 'persuasion' but I didn't feel comfortable with that so I pulled the arm off. I measured the steel sleeve, overall width of the pivot with the bushing in and it was the same as the other side. I then measured the mounting area in the frame and found that my one mount was narrower than the others. A 5lb. handsledge fixed that problem:eek: :D After that they were smooth as glass:cool:

redrunner
06-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Well figure that Honda QC specs are far tighter than most in any industry and that the +/- for the arm pivots would be pretty darn close. Grant it that anything bent heated and welded would move a little shouldn't there be a little more quality here? Anyway i had to "tap" mine in also and lube them good but to have to custom fit them is well not right, it sounds like yours are seriously out of wack, send em back let Burgard help you out.;)

shamisc
09-16-2004, 11:00 PM
I took out the metal spacers and filed down the black bushings and they work like butta now! Could be like Pappy said, bushings are from a new supplier and are a little thicker. Thanks for the help.;)

hondarider2006
09-16-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
I took out the metal spacers and filed down the black bushings and they work like butta now! Could be like Pappy said, bushings are from a new supplier and are a little thicker. Thanks for the help.;)

Now call burgard and tell him what your problem was so it doesn't happen to other people....:rolleyes:

gojk
09-16-2004, 11:24 PM
Same thing is wrong with mine. Maybe I will call him. And just file them like everyone else.