PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise

trx300ex rider7
05-16-2004, 09:05 PM
I started my 300ex up the other day and i noticed that the ticking noise was a little louder, is that b/c its bored out and stuff.

95'trx300ex, weisco piston, dyno jet kit, uni, skidplate, holeshots, scott grips, fmf powercore 4, nstyle graphics.

cals400ex
05-16-2004, 11:59 PM
i don't know if your using a stock cam or not?? also, i would adjust your valves and that should help. just remember to adjust your valves to your cams specs whether its a stock or aftermarket cam.

440exwlspankyou
05-17-2004, 04:20 AM
On my 440 I found out that the connecting rod hole that connects to the piston is way out of tollerances. the more I rode, the worse it got. luckily I found out what is the matter before it blew up. Also people are saying that they are getting ticking noises from the cam chain and tensioner. I would check the easy stuff first and then take the top end apart to investigate. Quad parts are expensive. Don't let it blow up!!!

trx300ex rider7
05-17-2004, 09:24 PM
I have a stock cam. I am going to call around to the shops and ask what they think. I think that i might need to tighten the cam chain.

cals400ex
05-18-2004, 12:11 AM
the 300ex doesn't have a self adjusting timing chain tensioner????

it is possible for these tensioners to go bad if this what they have.

trx300ex rider7
05-18-2004, 05:50 PM
do u think that i need to re-adjust me valves, or is there a way that i might need to re-adjust the cam chain tensioner if that is possible.

cals400ex
05-18-2004, 09:34 PM
like mentioned, it could be your rod too. i would try adjusting your valves first. that would be the easiest. the tensioner from the factory is not adjustable i don't think.

2003400exmnymds
05-25-2004, 05:59 PM
I just installed a HOT CAM stage 2 in my 400ex and I had a really loud tick coming from the top end and I didnt know what it was until I read that the valves were .05 intake and .06 exhaust. The chain tensioner is self adjusting by a spring only, but the tensioner has a phillips head screw in the middle, if you remove that, there is a tiny flat head screw in the middle, if you can turn the tensioner CW until it stops and then CCW until it stops and you feel a good bit of tension, you know your tensioner is good. I know once I adjusted my valves right and she dont tick......Good Luck

04'400ex'er
05-25-2004, 06:16 PM
I would say adjust the tappets on your rockers. If you have decent mechanical knowledge, you should be ably to do i in a couple hours. I paid 50 bucks to have the big tulsa dealer do it cuz on the 400, you have to take to plastics off and i didnt wanna mess with it.

s-10s_rule
05-25-2004, 10:45 PM
My hotcam has always made louder ticking, I made it really tight once and it didn't make hardly any ticking, but as it started ticking over the weeks it is running stronger, so a little tick isn't hurting mine any... yet. But for the first question, its probly your valves being out of adjustment, and the tensioner is self adjusting, but it can only do so much, your chain will get too long eventually and it will need to be replaced, and that will also cause ticking, and progress to a nasty smacking noise.