PDA

View Full Version : Is power a issue in XC??

cady#1
05-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Well i going to my first xc race next weekend and looking at the last race results it looks like its all 440ex's and the new 450's. Just wondering if i will be abe to keep up, or am i going to get pissed and get smoked:mad: . I have tcs shocks f&r, hmf slip-on. Just wondering so i can start saving for the 440 kit early. Thanks

superz400
05-16-2004, 10:36 PM
i think its more about the rider and indurance but if you want to keep up with the 450's you need to go big bore

SHOCKER
05-16-2004, 11:01 PM
its all about the rider oh and partially about the bike

craZy400
05-17-2004, 08:04 AM
I never thought so but after the sparta race the power will definately help you. once you throw on your hogs to get you through the mud you'll notice that it takes a bit more engine to turn them. especially when you are balling through a thick grassy field.

Ericthered rdr
05-17-2004, 09:27 AM
My answer is... no it is not all about the power. I run local harescrambles and I have a stock bore KFX400. I do have intake and exaust mods but that is it. I pulled second in my last race holeshot and in the woods I was leading or running with the 450s. Here is the scoop with XC racing because I thought the same question through. Yes you need a fast quad but the new 400's are just fine. What will set you apart from the crowd is good suspension which you already have. You also want to run a good sterring stabilizer. Get into shape!!!!! Pace yourself!!! In my first race I turned a killer first lap then I needed an oxygen mask! Race smart- pick good lines and don't do anthing stupid tht could get you into trouble because it will. Get a Camelbak- you need to start to hydrate yourself the day before the race. Drink water non stop till before the race. Eat smart-no junk or foods that could uset your stomac. Eat bannanas, pasta, oatmeal-- just healthy stuff the day before and day of the race. Oh and one of the most importat things I do BEFORE and AFTER the race is to strech your muscles! Back, legs and arms. This is very important! You would not work out without streching first so don't make that mistake here and streching afterwards helps reduce stiffness and sore muscles. Good luck and let us know how you did. Seriously consider spending that money in a steering stabilizer instead of the 440 kit! Just my .02

05-17-2004, 03:42 PM
good suspension is the key. i have a z 400 with custom axis shocks and it works good. i race 4stroke a class at local and national level. i would rather run a stock motor then have motor problems. big bores are nice to have for the hole shot, but 2 hours later i would rather be racing then sitting along the trail.

cady#1
05-17-2004, 05:31 PM
Hey thanks for all the good info. Finding this out in stead of about halfway though the race will probaly make the day awhole lot funner if you know what i mean.;) , and please keep the tips coming!!

PS what is the best bang for your buck high quality sterring damper? Thanks

batgeek
05-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Denton rebuildable any of its clones ~$160

WER, Scott and and other puck style ones are ~$300-400...if ya have the cash.

Ericthered rdr
05-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by cady#1

PS what is the best bang for your buck high quality sterring damper? Thanks

Stay away from the cheap stabilizers. I highly recommend the GPR2.0 GPR 2.0 (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/home.asp?sid=0004183344)

My second choice would be the W.E.R WER (http://www.werproducts.net/)

Enjoy

05-18-2004, 08:16 PM
gpr or wer. there good but they costly. i also like the denton.

RMX500
05-18-2004, 10:50 PM
on my track i always kill EX's and KFX/Z's simply because i can accelerate faster to start off in the lead and my top speed is higher by quite a bit. there's 2 spots on the track where you're basically wide open in 5th and there's one stretch where riders (skilled) hit their top speeds.

Me at 80 some mph and the 400's at under 70 doesn't do much good for them.

cady#1
05-19-2004, 12:16 AM
Rmx thats great to know, but i hardley every get out of the woods,so top speed is not a factor.

xr50layke
05-19-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Treebasher573
good suspension is the key.

thats about it. basic intake and exhaust mods will be fine. its like racing a stock banshee against a longtravel 300ex. the shee gets you in the straights but youll get him in cornering, momentum etc.

it really depends on how many straights there are and how many chances they have at getting their speed up.

shocks and a steering stabilizer, tires will help a bunch with handling.

quadnice
05-22-2004, 09:36 PM
***Rarz tires
***Good suspension -setup right, don't be afraid to adjust it & try dialing it in better. They send it to you close when you buy it, but from my experience it can be improved.
***GPR steering stabilizer or any other HIGH quality one will do. Not a fan of the cheap rebuilable ones anymore,....been there done that, & after adding up all the replaced, & rebuildable parts, another $50 & I could of had a quality one.
***Keep the stock bore, unless you have endless supplies of $$$, sponsors, & mechanics to keep it reliable for you!

cady#1
05-24-2004, 10:00 PM
I would just like to update that i raced sunday and won my class!! There were 3 or 4 rapotors, z's, predator's 400exs, a couple newer and old r's. I got the lead half way into the first lap and checked out. I even caught up to somewhere in the middle of the b class. I am a true believer that power had nothing to do with it cause every quad there would have smoked me in a drag. One performane mod that i do feel is nessasry is a pipe. So you can hear your own damn quad! Thanks for all the info.

Ericthered rdr
05-25-2004, 04:08 PM
Awsome news Cady! Congrats and hope you win some more.

kyex40047
05-25-2004, 07:25 PM
Did you race the mid south this past weekend?

cady#1
05-25-2004, 08:40 PM
I raced at a place called haspin acres in Indiana

kyex40047
05-26-2004, 04:55 PM
Oh, I heard about that place, a few people that i know went there. Did you like the track?

cady#1
05-26-2004, 06:11 PM
I though the layout was pretty cool. kinda rough, but i think that is beter then smooth trails if you ask me. Seperate the boys from the men :macho

kyex40047
05-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Do you know when the next race is there? I would like to go.

cady#1
05-26-2004, 06:28 PM
I belive its the 6th you can check it out on haspinacres.com

kyex40047
05-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Thanks. I'd like to go up there and race if I can get my 400 back together. My 250r's engine blew up this weekend, plus I want to see how this 400 will do on the track after I rebuilt it. Will you be there?

cady#1
05-28-2004, 07:07 PM
Kyex400 yes i will be there. What class would you run. Also where are you from ky? I'm from Campbell county if you know where thats at. LAter

kyex40047
05-28-2004, 10:43 PM
In a B class probably. I am from Oldham county, Crestwood, a couple of miles away from the Quadshop. We should go riding some time.

ZSK
05-29-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by xr50layke
thats about it. basic intake and exhaust mods will be fine. its like racing a stock banshee against a longtravel 300ex. the shee gets you in the straights but youll get him in cornering, momentum etc.

it really depends on how many straights there are and how many chances they have at getting their speed up.

shocks and a steering stabilizer, tires will help a bunch with handling.

Boy is that spot on. I run my plain ole 300ex in harescrambles. Pipe open lid and a good filter works shocks, good tires and wheels, and a steering stabilizer. I get wasted on the starts, but I catch almost anything in the woods. The new 450's, DS's, V force, banshees. The open parts are where I really wish for a 400. I rarely top out the 300 at upper 40's low 50's but when I do I always lose a position when a 450 blows by me.