PDA

View Full Version : Air intake systems! Whats good and whats not??

Giz400ex
05-16-2004, 06:43 PM
I have a 04 Legacy and it has balls but to me, not enough:( For those with experience, which ones are good and which ones are not??? and where is the best place to order from?? I been to Greddy, Nopi, Weapon R sites but don't know if they have them for my car (not listed). Any help is appreciated!! :D

chucked
05-16-2004, 07:38 PM
I dont think an air intake system is going to give you noticible power.

RMX500
05-16-2004, 07:53 PM
an intake won't give you much of jack all. if you're serious about getting power out of the motor you have 2 options.

1. going all motor

2. going turbo

personally I'd take the turbo route, and to get started hook yourself up with the CAI, intercooler, exhaust and start looking for a turbo to suite your needs.

2001400ex
05-16-2004, 08:09 PM
OK - no offense here RMX but I guess you can consider this constructive criticism. You seem to be very critical of everything people say about cars. I'm not doubting you, you seem to know what you're talking about...but I'm just saying like you don't have to state it out that he has to buy a turbo or all motor work or nothing and rip on him I guess you could say...just because he wants an intake. Often the intake and exhaust are the first steps people do when modding their cars. That's what I've done. No flame intended man just wanted to tell you you kind of jump all over people...

Anyway back on topic.

If Injen, Greddy, A'Pexi, or Neuspeed make intakes for the Legacy I would consider any one of those...they are all good brands and make good quality products. Also, if you're not into any of those brands you can check out and see if there is a company that specializes in Subaru products I would consider that. For my car there is a company called Dynamic Racing - I purchased my intake from them instead of any of the brands I just listed. As stated you aren't really going to gain alot of HP from just an intake...more sound gains and just a tiny bit of performance on the bottom end you will feel.

RMX500
05-16-2004, 08:16 PM
i'm not ripping on him at all, i just told him he won't get power from an intake alone.

ewalker302
05-16-2004, 09:01 PM
Are you looking for like an improved intake tube & filter, or a whole intake (Throttle body--manifold)??

Either way, just go get a sport compact magazine & im sure you will find plenty of ads in the back to put you on the right track.

:bandit:

Giz400ex
05-17-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm not lacking hp, it already has 165 for a 4 cyl which is enough. But what is lacking is the bottom end!!

chucked
05-18-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
I'm not lacking hp, it already has 165 for a 4 cyl which is enough. But what is lacking is the bottom end!!

air intakes would help top end more then bottom end.

quadrcr161
05-18-2004, 01:40 PM
also if you want a "cold" air intake suck as aem, be carefull, they are just straws that will suck up water and ruin your motor. your best bet would be buying a k$n for your stock air box and removing the resionater.