PDA

View Full Version : Port and polish

quallerd
05-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Has anybody ported and polished their head? If so, did it make any difference in the power? How much difference? Also wondering where the best place to have it done is and what it would cost. Thanks!

KILLAQuad
05-16-2004, 06:22 PM
The easy answer to that question is .... OHHHHH YEA you will see a big increase in the power........

I think Mickey is a good one to go though but im not sure how much it would be.....

quallerd
05-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Mickey who??:confused: I heard that GT Thunder is building a really pissed off motor these days!!:devil:

PEPwalshZ440
05-19-2004, 04:59 AM
get baldwin to port and polish it, give it a 3 angle valve job, and install a high compression piston, and their FCR carb kit, and a cam....and wala....u have a more powerful than stock crf450 dirtbike motor

KILLAQuad
05-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Mickey Dunlap........ FST..... he is building some bad Arzz motors ..... the Gt thunder one is a good one as well.....

The Baldwin with the Carb is 1 bad Monkey.... it delivers killer power all around...... that is an EXPEN$IVE one however $$

And i think it would have a LOT MORE than the Bike.......:eek2:

The Baldwin is one i think i might look into as well as Mickeys FST.... I want some quick Throttle response and good power throughout the range....... Im a XC guy so i might look into the stock compressions and maybe just the valve job.......

quallerd
05-20-2004, 09:06 AM
What questions do I need to ask and things do I need to ensure if I was to take my head to a local shop to be ported and polished. Is there anything that I need to really look for when choosing a shop... besides, obviously, experience and references. I've heard some people talk about a 3 angle valvle job and the such as well as specific techniques or machines that should be used.

05-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by quallerd
What questions do I need to ask and things do I need to ensure if I was to take my head to a local shop to be ported and polished.

I suggest you don't do it. Send it to an engine builder that has experience with that particular head. GT thunder gets my vote..:cool:

KILLAQuad
05-20-2004, 10:20 AM
I agree with Rico........ Take it to a Builder that has the experience and they will have no problem with it .... if you take it to a local shop you take a chance of someone not being 100% sure what they are looking for in the cuts........