PDA

View Full Version : Bearing carrier ?

nicky slee
05-16-2004, 04:33 PM
What is the difference in a tapered bearing carrier and a regular carrier? And can you take tapered carrier for a 250r and use it on 400ex or vice versa? Thanks alot

nicky slee
05-16-2004, 08:36 PM
any help out there?:confused:

TC426EX
05-16-2004, 08:58 PM
tapered carriers are the top of the line carriers now. They take the most abuse since they handle more stress from side loads than std. or dual row. A 250R carrier should fit in a 400ex swingarm as far as I know but you might want to get some other opinions on that.

nicky slee
05-16-2004, 09:13 PM
hey thanks any input is appreciated

shamisc
05-16-2004, 10:07 PM
It depends on the year of the 250r.

05-17-2004, 08:00 AM
Quoted from John Arens

Carriers
Hello Guys:

You are right that the tapered bearings are stronger. However, there are some major drawbacks.

1: No seals at the bearing!! That is why a grease zerk is necessary. Actually, on a sealed bearing carrier like the stock one or the twin row carriers an outside zerk is a waste. You can't get grease past the seals and into the bearings anyway. Some idiot came up with that, and now half the riders panic if they don't have it.

2: Since the tapered bearings have a larger OD, it will take away chain adjustment. You probably only get about 1/2 the chain adjustment from a tapered carrier.

3: The other bad thing is setting the preload. Set it too tight and you definitely stress the motor. Set it too loose and everything feels loose on the backend, because it is. I've seen one of the best mechanics in the business have a problem with this. Here's the deal... If it was that great all the pros would run them, and I don't know anybody that does. In the end, a twin row carrier is more than strong enough. It's a good idea in theory, but not much more than a clever sales gimmick in the real world.

Hope that helps you out.