PDA

View Full Version : Mojave assembly problems...

05-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Hey guys, long-time-no-post.

I have been repairing a 1991 Kaw. Mojave for the last year, I haven't had a lot of time to work on it, so it is going slow. Now that I have the time, I have some questions.

A.) The cam chain seems loose. I bought a new tensioner after it seemed like the old one was the problem, but it didn't work. With the head cover off, I tried to kick it over easily, and the chain skipped teeth on the cam sprockets! To my surprise, the chain that felt taught was magically loose. I have tried re-assembling the cylinder and head about 4 times now, and everything I have tried does not work. Anyone have problems with these tensioners before?

B.) This is a general question- I had a local machine shop bore the cylinder to accept a Wiseco .040 overbore piston. I got it back and assembled it(this was last year). It ran, but lacked power. It felt like something was being held back. My guess is that either the camshaft chain skipped teeth on one of the cams, or the rings were not fit to the cylinder wall, having too little end gap. I assumed that the machinists did this, but for a $30 bore job, I guess not. Would either of these be the case?

Sorry for the length,
Ben

BSD4life1
06-10-2004, 03:10 PM
i have never had any problems with the cam shaft or chain. it seems kinda loose on mine but mine is a 2001 what year is urs?

BSD4life1
06-10-2004, 03:12 PM
never mind i didnt read well. i live by a guy that works at kawasaki in oKLA. and he said that the 91 are usually a good pick but have sum difficulty to with its mechanics.

06-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Okay. I know it is now 13 years old. Geez, I didn't think 1991 was that long ago! Anyway, I am still having trouble with it and I might just take it to a dealer and have them screw with it.

Thanks, though.

boogiechile
06-21-2004, 07:13 AM
did you take the plug out of the end of the tensioner and then turn the screw down inside counterclockwise untill you had the chain tight. Yes, cam timing that is off will make it feel like it is holding back. All the problems you have had with the cam chain may have resulted in a bent valve also. I hope not. Check out my mojaves at the link below, especially my new supermojave.

Greenestreak Racing Projects (http://www.picturetrail.com/mojaveaddict)