PDA

View Full Version : Electric start kit for TRX 90?

Joecool1264
05-16-2004, 08:51 AM
Does anyone know where to get an electric start for the Honda 90? My son of 10,wants to go XC racing but the pull start is a pain. Thanks. Joe.

jpconard
05-18-2004, 11:49 AM
You could buy the Pep Boys ATV for $899. It has a cloned Honda 90 engine with electric start. They take the engine, battery, etc. off of it and put it in the TRX 90.

It would be quite a bit of work, but my guess is that the engine mounts are the same.

phaster1
05-18-2004, 02:57 PM
You could buy the Pep Boys ATV for $899. It has a cloned Honda 90 engine with electric start. They take the engine, battery, etc. off of it and put it in the TRX 90.

Assuming you already have the TRX90. Try Honda's website and see if that is an option on the new quad and go from there.

Assuming you havn't purchased a quad yet:
Go and buy the Pep boys quad and swap out engines is crazy???...if you wanted to buy the P.B. quad and take the rest of the money you saved from buying the Honda and dump it into the P.B quad..ie: suspension and all the other stuff to bring it upto the Honda level. Personally I think that is crazy!!! but to each their own.

AtvMxRider
05-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by jpconard

It would be quite a bit of work, but my guess is that the engine mounts are the same. http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/atvmxrider/stfu.jpg

jpconard
05-18-2004, 03:35 PM
**** you, the guy says he already has the Honda 90. You guys are ****ing retarded.

AtvMxRider
05-18-2004, 04:37 PM
**** you, the guy says he already has the Honda 90. You guys are ****ing retarded.

OK if he already has the Honda wtf does he want to buy the pep boy's quad?:rolleyes:

jpconard
05-18-2004, 05:21 PM
I'll explain it again. The pep boys quad engine is basically the same as the Honda 90 engine except it has electric start. You could take the Pep boys engine out and bolt it straight into the Honda 90 frame. You could remove the battery and fabricate a battery box on the Honda 90. You could use the wire harness from the PBQ and put it on the Honda 90 with other needed components, CDI, rectifier, switches as desired, lights if desired, etc.

You could then put the Honda 90 engine in the PBQ frame and have two ATVs, although the PBQ frame, chassis is probably inferior to the Honda. But it would be a running machine (now with pull start). Or just use it for back-up spare parts.

The Honda 90 would then have electric start. Any Honda mods big bore kit, pipe, etc. could be put on the PBQ engine (Honda 90 machine). Even the transmission gears could probably be swapped from the Honda engine to the PBQ engine if desired, although the PBQ engine has reverse, which you may want to keep on the Honda 90.

Yes $899 is a lot, but most of you people spend that much on one shopping trip to mod your 90s.

If you don't like my suggestion offer your own, but as none of you "experts" were offering ****, at least mine is a solution which would be possibly without welding and special engine mounts, etc. of some other engine.

I am fairly sure Honda offers no 90cc electric start option at the dealers.

As was said to each his own. Decide for yourself how you would make the Honda 90cc electric start. Just don't comment on mine, in other words, STFU.

phaster1
05-19-2004, 08:36 AM
WoW!!!! JP had a point. You guys are all over him...no need.

No offense to you JP.

But it was kinda funny!!!

KILLER EX
05-19-2004, 10:48 AM
the pep boys quads and every other quad that says it has a honda clone engine is nothing at all like the honda the honda has 4 speeds and no reverse and a ***** load more b@lls .the companys say the engine is a clone because it slightly resembles the honda engine. nothing comes close when it all comes down to it

05-19-2004, 11:05 AM
your comparing a pep boys quad to a honda...http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/******slap.gif

jpconard
05-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Rico, No I don't remember comparing a Honda 90 to PBQ, maybe you are reading something that I didn't write. Or maybe you just can't read. I was answering the first poster's question, something nobody else has done.

Killer EX, The PBQ has basically the same top end as the Honda 90, you could put the piston, cylinder, head (cams, valves and all) on the PBQ bottom end, crank and rod as well. You could also put those 4 gears from the Honda in the PBQ cases. That ought to give it the same balls, it would be the same top end.

Just for your info (in general, again NOT comparing PBQ to Honda), 4 gears is not necessarily better than 3. It depends on the ratios, if that was the case why are the 125 class MXers 5 gears when they used to be 6? I guess the old ones are faster and better than the new ones. NOT!!

I always love the mentality that more gears are better, I guess 10 gears is better than 4? NOT!! 5th grade mentality.

Oh and by the way I already new the Honda had 4 gears and no reverse. Thanks for keeping me up-to-date.

phaster1
05-19-2004, 09:28 PM
JP,
Don't even bother dude...they are gonna pic your post apart till the F*ing cows come home.

If I was buying a first time quad for a kid i would go cheap and if it was something they really showed interest in..then I would go spend the big bucks for something better. $899.99 is good enough to learn the basic's on. These lil' quads can end up costing some BIG ***** bucks when you start to mod them up. So try'em out on a cheaper one first.

Most of these off brands Kazuma(Redcat, Zebra) are claiming to have Honda engine's...and they are. The frame could double for the LT80...check them out yourselves and see. You would be surprised

That's my .02

KILLER EX
05-20-2004, 06:11 AM
kazuma and other wanna be quads do not have a honda engine !! not even close

KILLER EX
05-20-2004, 06:15 AM
Rico, No I don't remember comparing a Honda 90 to PBQ, maybe you are reading something that I didn't write. Or maybe you just can't read. I was answering the first poster's question, something nobody else has done.

Killer EX, The PBQ has basically the same top end as the Honda 90, you could put the piston, cylinder, head (cams, valves and all) on the PBQ bottom end, crank and rod as well. You could also put those 4 gears from the Honda in the PBQ cases. That ought to give it the same balls, it would be the same top end.

Just for your info (in general, again NOT comparing PBQ to Honda), 4 gears is not necessarily better than 3. It depends on the ratios, if that was the case why are the 125 class MXers 5 gears when they used to be 6? I guess the old ones are faster and better than the new ones. NOT!!

I always love the mentality that more gears are better, I guess 10 gears is better than 4? NOT!! 5th grade mentality.

Oh and by the way I already new the Honda had 4 gears and no reverse. Thanks for keeping me up-to-date.
and by the way you can not take the inereds from the kazuma engine and put them in the honda or vise versa i have had them apart . before you throw around ideas you should try them first. and yes more gears are better you can select a better ratio for your needs . you are probably in 5th grade and that is where your mentality comes from

phaster1
05-20-2004, 06:29 AM
kazuma and other wanna be quads do not have a honda engine !! not even close

Let me clear that up....Honda cloned engine's.