PDA

View Full Version : Connecting rod problems

440exwlspankyou
05-16-2004, 07:22 AM
Hello all!! I have a 440ex and I have a little problem. The wrist pin hole in the connecting rod is oval shape. Every time the piston fires, there is a noticable knock noise. I was wondering if I could take a brake hone and round out the hole and install a larger wrist pin in the piston. I have been looking for a new crank/rod combo on ebay with no luck. Is there any other crank/rod combos from another motor that would be the same?:mad:

hondafox440
05-16-2004, 08:42 AM
The XR400 crank and rod will fit. I wouldn't try a cheap fix for this, or else you may grenade your top end. Dropping a few hundred bucks on a new crank/rod will save you more in the long run.

K_Fulk
05-16-2004, 06:39 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to stroke it. :macho

F-16Guy
05-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
The XR400 crank and rod will fit. I wouldn't try a cheap fix for this, or else you may grenade your top end. Dropping a few hundred bucks on a new crank/rod will save you more in the long run.
When I ordered my Carrillo rod, I asked the guy if the XR and EX rods were the same and he said no, that the clearances at the bottom end were different. I have to take his word for it; I'm sure he knows more about it than I do. If you can split the case and get the crank assembly out, a new Carrillo rod is $175 and the labor to install it is usually about $75. After that, you can run pretty much any compression ratio you want without worrying about snapping the rod. :D

440exwlspankyou
05-17-2004, 04:25 AM
Well , after searching, I found a guy that will send me a combo for $125 including shipping! I will do that, however, I have never split a case. What parts besides gaskets should I probably replace while I am in there? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BSTURDIVANT
05-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Install new 2nd gear while apart!!

olimj
05-18-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by BSTURDIVANT
Install new 2nd gear while apart!!

Can you elaborate? Do you replace with the same stock one or has the design been upgraded?