PDA

View Full Version : 250r questions

m250r
05-15-2004, 03:32 PM
I am thinking about getting a 250r pretty soon and I just had a few questions...

1. How often do I have to get it ported?
2. Is it as hard as everybody says it is to maintain?
3. Whats the hardest part about owning one?

I'm not looking for an answer to all of these questions at once..I just want to know so that I know if I should change my mind.:macho

310Rduner
05-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by m250r
I am thinking about getting a 250r pretty soon and I just had a few questions...

1. How often do I have to get it ported?
2. Is it as hard as everybody says it is to maintain?
3. Whats the hardest part about owning one?

I'm not looking for an answer to all of these questions at once..I just want to know so that I know if I should change my mind.:macho

1. Porting is just changing the timing on the ports, what you're thinking of is boring/replacing the piston. Most people replace a piston once a year or so, and many much less frequently, and unless you get a pro-x cylinder it should only be about $100-$140 including reboring the cylinder.

2. You WILL have at least 1 occasion where the bike will fail on you engine wise just due to age of parts. It has NOTHING to do with design of the bike, and it is actually a testiment to the 250R that you can buy it 16 years old and many times ride it for months before fixing anything (if you choose). Just be honest with yourself if you want to undertake the project, and be realistic about the condition of the R you decide to buy. Once you restore a few commonly worn parts and a few other random things that could use replacing the bike will run extremely strong, and extremely reliably.

3. The hardest part? Never being able to ride another bike without seeing how it falls short to the 250R:devil:

Aallron
05-15-2004, 05:05 PM
1988, 1989 better years for 250R's

It seems that 2nd gear is the weak point, I have replaced more of these on friends bikes that anything else, in my seperience when 2nd gear goes it takes the case with it. Keep a GOOD chain and case saver on it... another case eater, throwing the chain at speed. The mechanical seal for the H2o pump usually goes at one time or another, other than that good premix, lube the chain and ride.

m250r
05-15-2004, 06:32 PM
thanks a lot guys..anyone else?

nhs333x2
05-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Keep an eye on bushings/bearings on the front. Every 250r I see had them blown out.

m250r
05-16-2004, 04:02 PM
ttt

m250r
05-19-2004, 02:31 PM
help me out guys

310Rduner
05-19-2004, 04:37 PM
help me out guys

You have more than enough information to go on, pretty much all of the main issues with R's have been covered... try doing a search in open forum for 250R there are tons of people who have asked the exact same question, with tons of replies.

Basically it comes down to if you don't mind working on bikes, and if you have some basic mechanical ability to apply to the bike you will be fine. I bought my 310 after selling my 300ex 2 year ago this July, and I pretty much learned as I went without problem; it's a great bike to work on. Just take the leap, if you for some reason don't like how 2 strokes accelerate and make mad power you can always sell the bike; I guarantee you there is someone else out there looking for a nice 250R, you just have to find them.

If you like 400ex for every reason except the easy riding smooth engine you will love the R.. if you like the handling of the 450R you will love the 250R. So many qualities of newer bikes (except gentle powerbands) can trace their root to the 250R. The R will handle anything as well as or better than any new yfz or 450r, and you'll have a lot more fun doing it with the ripping powerband.If you don't end up liking R's, the only real reason for that is that you don't like the arm wrenching pull of a 2 stroke, and would rather have a MILD 4 stroke that won't make you tired.

wilkin250r
05-19-2004, 04:47 PM
help me out guys

Which of your questions haven't been answered?

m250r
05-19-2004, 04:49 PM
thanks for the help