View Full Version : YFZ450 vs 450R

Toadz400
05-15-2004, 03:14 PM
No I'm not asking which one is better.

What does the 450R rev like compared to the YFZ? When I rode the YFZ I noticed it liked to rev high and quick like a 2-stroke and was very quick off the line, and with a smaller front sprocket it'd have great low-end. Also when I rode it, it seemed it had a very low center of gravity and handled very well. How does the 450R sit compared to the YFZ, is it more like an 400EX?

Can someone compare and contrast the starting for me? I like kick starting way better than eletric, but I don't like the idea that I have to push a little hot-start lever each time I want to kick it over when it's warm. I'm used to my Banshee where if I want it to start, I do a quick start and it's alive. I also do like the idea of an eletric start, but I don't want to have to deal with a bad battery or eletrical system from the factory...so has anyone used a GYT-R kickstart on the YFZ and how did it turn out?

I ride woods, drag for fun, and I've done MX and hope to do more next year.

I'm looking at selling my 400EX and Banshee sometime in the near future, and saving up to purchase an '05 YFZ or R next year, that way I will have enough money to buy a brand new one and put some decent mods into it.

How are the payment plans and warranty between the two? How much are the payments per month?

Can anyone else think of any other questions I'd want answered that would help me make a better decision?

Thanks in advance.

- Toadz

Kennethyfz450
05-15-2004, 03:59 PM
i dont know about monthly payments but you can get the yfz for 5999.00 and the 450r for around 5699.00 at abernathyonline.com.

the yfz does have a lower center of gravity then the 450r, also handles better, and has a slight edge in power.

if you have a pipe and take off the airbox lid i herd the yfz is still more powerful.

i just came off a 400ex it didnt take me but a few days to climb some of the hills around here that the novice/ advance riders wouldnt climb and it did it great.

as for the gytr kickstart all i know is you have to cut the fender..

kwatts400
05-16-2004, 02:29 AM
Hot start lever is no big deal on the 450r, I got used to it really quick. You can almost just push it in w/ your thumb in the same motion that you grab your grip. It starts just as easy and fast as any e-start out there. If you like to kick start your bike, this is it. My 450r is easier to kick over than my 250r.

I did the shock mods that Pappy talked about a while back, then I put the razr's from my 250r on the 450r and it made the 450r about an inch wider and over an inch lower. I haven't ridden it with the razr's on it, but the shock mods were a huge improvement over stock and now I'm lower and wider!

Toadz400
05-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Well that makes it a lot more intriguing. I think next year I will go with the 450R, or even sooner depending on when I get some money. The fact that Honda seems to stick behind their products a little more and put more research into things makes me aim for Red this time. I loved the YFZ450 but I think the kickstart is for me, and as for the high first gear ratio I can just stick a 13t on there.

Also can you tell me what the "shock mod" is that you were talking about kwatts400?

tkwarrior
05-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Just take some preload out of the shocks is what he is talking about.

Toadz400
05-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by tkwarrior
Just take some preload out of the shocks is what he is talking about.

Oh...I don't think I would consider that a "mod", just an adjustment.

Anything else good or bad about the 450R?

kwatts400
05-17-2004, 12:38 AM
Thats exactly what I was talking about, then playing w/ the rebound and compression settings. I had a friend of mine take a few laps on it while I was at Durhamtown Plantation, and he loved it (he races a yz125). That said alot to me about the stock setup.

The 13t makes a big difference too. $10 bucks well spent for the trails.

Toadz400
06-11-2004, 12:53 PM
So is the 450R pretty much the way to go? I'm thinking about buying robby26wi's 450R off of eBay for $5700. Since we live in the same state it'll be pretty easy to pick up.

Since I ride trails, moderate jumping, ice drags, plan on racing MX next year and I love the feel of my 400EX, is the 450R going to be perfect for me? I sat on it and it has a similar feel to the stance of my 400EX but just feels taller so I'm worried about that.

I HAVE ridden the YFZ450 and I thought it was an awesome quad all around, but to be truthful it felt a little small for my size. I am only 5'10-5'11 and am down to 150lbs (boo-ya, lost 20 lbs) but I still felt a little cramped.

robby26wi, give me your 450R!! lol :D

joe1l
06-11-2004, 01:14 PM
I like kick starting way better than eletric, but I don't like the idea that I have to push a little hot-start lever each time I want to kick it over when it's warm

I have had my 450R since March, and never once had to use the hot start lever. I have run the bike for 8hours in 90 degree weather. One kick, and it starts! I have yet to use the Hot Start lever. ;) I even have a bunch of mods and still no need for Hot Start.

06-11-2004, 01:15 PM
i rode the YFZ & felt comfortable & I weigh 140 & 5"11....I just dont like e-start or yamaha really so I got the 450r....as for the stock shocks they are to tall for my liking & made it feel kinda squirly like a z400 or a craptor but no where near as bad as that...good luck