PDA

View Full Version : 450r vs. 400ex

kawasaki_ridah
05-15-2004, 01:11 PM
I went to my local honda dealer the other night and they had a 450r and 400ex that two ppl had just bought and they were drag racing in front of the shop they lined up and the 450r beat the 400ex 2 quad lengths i was like well the guy on the 450 cant ride they switched and it was the same thing it was a pretty far race too i dont get it seems like the 400 ex is a better buy to me

05-15-2004, 01:29 PM
sounds to me like you have no idea what your talking about :rolleyes:

250EXking
05-15-2004, 01:31 PM
lol you must be on crack, theres no way. i bet my 250ex would only be 3 quad lenghts behind.:rolleyes:

05-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by 250EXking
lol you must be on crack, theres no way. i bet my 250ex would only be 3 quad lenghts behind.:rolleyes: i think your 250ex could beat my 450r...you must have NOS on that thing

250EXking
05-15-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
i think your 250ex could beat my 450r...you must have NOS on that thing

lol:p

root
05-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by kawasaki_ridah
I went to my local honda dealer the other night and they had a 450r and 400ex that two ppl had just bought and they were drag racing in front of the shop they lined up and the 450r beat the 400ex 2 quad lengths i was like well the guy on the 450 cant ride they switched and it was the same thing it was a pretty far race too i dont get it seems like the 400 ex is a better buy to me

Some of these stories are getting out of hand. I think it would be amusing to see the IQ scores of some of this site's members. How can a lighter (by about 25 lbs) and faster (about 10 more hp) quad only beat the 400ex by only 2 quad lengths? You say the race was far too...I don't know about that one.:rolleyes:

WOracing
05-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by root
Some of these stories are getting out of hand. I think it would be amusing to see the IQ scores of some of this site's members. How can a lighter (by about 25 lbs) and faster (about 10 more hp) quad only beat the 400ex by only 2 quad lengths? You say the race was far too...I don't know about that one.:rolleyes:

I totally agree with this...my 450r smokes my ex and not by 2 quad lengths, more like 10 or more. Its me on the 450r (135) and my dad on the 400ex (200)

lukester720
05-15-2004, 02:47 PM
You may have seen what you said, I'm not knocking you for that, but my piped R destroys my piped 416ex all day long.

One thing to take into consideration is that it will take a few hours on the R to learn how to launch it right. When the yfz came out, I was beating every stock yfz that pulled up to the line on a standard bore, piped 400ex because they didn't wind the motor up high enough on the takeoff. This took place on a 300ft track, and yes they were gaining on me at the end. Except for my friend that has a yfz, because he knew to rev it like a 2 stroke on the take off and beat me every time.

If you only race in a straight line that's cool, but if you ride the mx track or in the woods, you might want to see how moch better the R's suspension is than the 400ex also. From my experence the 450r is a lot better.

Toadz400
05-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by lukester720
One thing to take into consideration is that it will take a few hours on the R to learn how to launch it right. When the yfz came out, I was beating every stock yfz that pulled up to the line on a standard bore, piped 400ex because they didn't wind the motor up high enough on the takeoff. This took place on a 300ft track, and yes they were gaining on me at the end. Except for my friend that has a yfz, because he knew to rev it like a 2 stroke on the take off and beat me every time.

Yea those YFZ's do like to rev high like a 2-stroke, that's why I would want a Yamaha.

Does the 450R rev high or is the rev limiter set pretty low? Compared to the YFZ?

r boy24
05-15-2004, 07:49 PM
Last week i made my first trip up to the sand dunes. What can i say it was sweet. Well me and my friend were takeing a rest from rideing and 2 450r's pulled up. 1 of them pulled up to drag some people. I thought it whould be funny to see what whould happen if i raced him. I actully won the first time i was like :huh. So i raced him again except this time his friend was on it. What can i say he left me. It was a stock 450r and mine is piped,filter,jetted. The only reason i won the first time was because it was the guys first quad.

sparky450AR
05-15-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Yea those YFZ's do like to rev high like a 2-stroke, that's why I would want a Yamaha.

Does the 450R rev high or is the rev limiter set pretty low? Compared to the YFZ?

I dont know about the rev limiter, but the R will rev to the moon. When i first got it i thought the motor kinda sounded like a crotch rocket, high pitch...then you put a pipe on it and it sounds deep and throaty like a V8,lol

tkwarrior
05-15-2004, 10:34 PM

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 93-9400.

I think the YFZ is around 10-10500.

KY Woods Rider
05-15-2004, 10:38 PM
I just got to ride a 450R for the first time a couple weeks ago. I never do ask anyone if I can ride their quad because I hate when people do that to me, but one of my riding buddies finally got an R and he asked me if I wanted him to bring it down and let me try it out, and of course I won't pass up an offer like that :D

After spending a bit of time on it, I have to say that it will easily beat a stock EX. I never even get out my EX that day, we just spent the day taking turns riding his R through the trails and making adjustments to get it set-up better, so we never did drag race them to see exactly how much difference there would be. However, all it takes is just a few minutes of riding to understand that a stock 450R will walk all over a stock or lightly modified EX in a drag race.

As Lukester said, I think a lot of what you saw could be relatively inexperienced riders on the R that aren't willing to rev it like they should. The R has to be ridden differently than an EX. The fast way to ride an EX is to short shift it and keep it in the midrange. Short shifting the R doesn't work very well though. The R isn't like a 2-stroke built for MX where you have to wring it's neck all the time, but it definitely wants to be revving pretty good. So, if you take someone that doesn't understand that and/or is afraid to actually run it like it should be run, then the R will look much slower than what it really is.

My only complaint about the R compared to the EX is that for where I ride them, the stock gearing on the R is too high and the lack of torque at extremely low RPM makes you have to use the clutch a bit more than I would prefer in the tight sections.

KY Woods Rider
05-15-2004, 11:06 PM

I don't know if it's accurate or not, but according to the specs a couple of the magazines were giving, the R's rev limit is 9,850 and the YFZ's rev limit is 10,750. Of course since this info came from a magazine, I kinda wonder about the accuracy of the info, as they do have a tendency to goof up.

If you compare the R to an EX, then yes, the R is a high revving motor. Although the rev limiter on the R isn't really all that much higher than it is on an EX, the R motor pulls best in the mid-top RPM and continues to pull pretty strong even after you pass the peak HP. The EX is more of a low-mid motor, and if you rev it past its peak HP, it basically falls on its face.

twisted threads
05-16-2004, 02:14 AM
you put a hrc kit and a pipe on the TRX 450r it will beat a highly modded 440ex. My brother has a 450r and I have a 440ex and at the dunes I can't beat that bike. He was stomping the mighty YFZ's also...... I even took down a few on the EX.:D

86atc250r
05-16-2004, 10:42 AM
The 450R rev limits around 10,100 RPM - the YFZ is about 500~600 RPM higher.

400 vs 450R - this comparison is ridiculous, anyone that's actually ridden a 400EX and a 450R will immediately know.

450R vs YFZ --- I've raced mine now at the 300' drag strip several times, many times against YFZs. Mine is a standard HRC setup & stock pipe with HRC tip --- the YFZs I've raced are running full pipes, cam modded, jetted and open airboxes.

The last round of times are as follows:

YFZ #1 - 5.833
My TRX - 6.001
YFZ #2 - 6.016
YFZ #3 - 6.091
YFZ #4 - 6.255
400EX #1 - 6.718 -- 416, fcr, pipe, hotcam stage 1, head porting, etc
400ex #2 - 6.740 -- unknown mods
400EX #3 - 6.866 -- 426, modified stock carb, pipe, hotcam stage2, etc

Everyone believes YFZ #1 has opened his engine (even the other YFZ guys), though he won't admit to it. The others are all running the typical setup I outlined above.

As you can see the TRX is not at a disadvantage against these YFZs. These numbers are from one night's racing - we've raced before with very similar numbers. Sure would be nice if everyone would grow up and quit the lame posts about the YFZ having some large advantage...

The nice part about this all is my 450R has a better upgrade path at this point -- these YFZs are pretty well maxed out unless they want to open the engine & go wild with the compression or do extensive head work, in contrast, I can still FCR my 450, put a pipe on, bump the compression up to 12:1, lighten the flywheel, raise the rev limit, etc.

twisted threads
05-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
The 450R rev limits around 10,100 RPM - the YFZ is about 500~600 RPM higher.

400 vs 450R - this comparison is ridiculous, anyone that's actually ridden a 400EX and a 450R will immediately know.

Sure would be nice if everyone would grow up and quit the lame posts about the YFZ having some large advantage...

lol you hit the nail on the head about the 400ex vs the 450r!

And about the YFZ having the advantage is a bunch of BS. The YFZ is a great quad but I know (I have seen It) it don't have any huge advantage over the TRX450r, at least were I ride but on the track im not sure because I don't motocross, YET.:cool:

sparky450AR
05-16-2004, 11:37 AM
I have some videos i will be posting later, i went to the strip.....

I have vids of predator VS. yfz 450R verse yfz

440ex(on meth) vs. 450R

i think you might be surprised:devil:

05-16-2004, 04:18 PM
i would be surprised if the 450r beat the 440 on meth....

Flip_SideEX
05-16-2004, 04:41 PM
Videos!!!

PEPwalshZ440
05-16-2004, 04:50 PM
First of all, both those guys must have been retarted if they were only beating each other by 2 bike lengths. My 450R will STOMP out a 400ex in a drag

sparky450AR
05-16-2004, 06:31 PM
i would be surprised if the 450r beat the 440 on meth....

It doesnt....lol

05-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
It doesnt....lol so i am not surprised...now lets see how many more drag races the guy running meth has left...my guess is nto to many as the reliabilty on that thing is now that of a raptor prob.

sparky450AR
05-16-2004, 08:47 PM
so i am not surprised...now lets see how many more drag races the guy running meth has left...my guess is nto to many as the reliabilty on that thing is now that of a raptor prob.

Actually meth/alcohol doesnt hurt the motor as much as overboring it, and that kind of thing.

1fast450R
05-17-2004, 01:11 PM

That is quite possibly the funniest thing i have ever herd. I out run my friends ex by about 15 lengths, and i beat my others friends ex that is piped and jetted by like 5... thats like comparin a corvette to my s10...

kawasaki_ridah
05-17-2004, 01:22 PM
why are you guys knocking me for what i saw, i saw what i saw i wouldnt lie bout something like that i have no reason too. you ppl just need to calm down. its not my fault the 450 lost! lol

kawasaki_ridah
05-17-2004, 01:26 PM
sounds to me like you have no idea what your talking about :rolleyes:

wtf can tell you this? ppl like you are so gay, someone tells you the truth, you have never met me before you dont know what im like dont judge me i could know 10 times more than you do. you just too high headed to see whats going on.

kawasaki_ridah
05-17-2004, 01:27 PM
lol you must be on crack, theres no way. i bet my 250ex would only be 3 quad lenghts behind.:rolleyes:

just dont speak

kawasaki_ridah
05-17-2004, 01:30 PM

LOL who you think you are coming in like you have been here forever with 8 posts, your posting privileges have been revoked for now on you have to ask for permission before you post.

wheabix
05-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by KY Woods Rider
My only complaint about the R compared to the EX is that for where I ride them, the stock gearing on the R is too high and the lack of torque at extremely low RPM makes you have to use the clutch a bit more than I would prefer in the tight sections.

From what I've heard, the 450's low rpm torque increases a fair bit with the installation on the HRC kit.

450Rsmoke
05-17-2004, 05:49 PM
You guys ever raced a yfz with the cam mod. Let me tell ya thoose things can scoot.

root
05-17-2004, 06:56 PM
LOL who you think you are coming in like you have been here forever with 8 posts, your posting privileges have been revoked for now on you have to ask for permission before you post.

Wooow there...cool your jets there rough ridah. I responded to your original post because you inferred that the 400ex was a "better buy" based on a pretty lame race. I would hope that with your extensive knowlege (800+ posts) you would realize that the drag race was a joke and hardly reflective of the 450r's performance. Don't even try to tell me the 400ex is faster; stock for stock, we all know it isn't. There is post number 9 for ya!

seven
05-17-2004, 07:46 PM
Stock for stock yes the 450R is faster. You have to run them up a hill to see the difrence. If you are running down a flat dirt road there wont be near as much speed difrence. We had a 450 at a drag race this weekend. It was bone stock and it wasnt doing that well. I could easily beat him on a uphill drag with my 426ex. And could pull piped raptors and a few predators also. But the piped YFZ would beat me buy 3-4 quad lengths. I have a highly modded 426ex to do this though. The stock 400ex barely would make it up that same hill!

250EXking
05-17-2004, 07:56 PM
just dont speak

wtf does that have to do with the post, and if you can read, and have some sense of humor, it was a sarcastic comment added onto the stupid one that started the thread. you dont speak your post did nothing for the thread.

kawasaki_ridah
05-18-2004, 01:12 PM
wtf does that have to do with the post, and if you can read, and have some sense of humor, it was a sarcastic comment added onto the stupid one that started the thread. you dont speak your post did nothing for the thread.

lol dont get your panties in a bundle, if you didnt like the thread then dont post in it. i wasnt serious about the dont speak thing i was joking with you, i just relized i didnt put ne jk marks behind it and i ment to, sorry bout that

kawasaki_ridah
05-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Wooow there...cool your jets there rough ridah. I responded to your original post because you inferred that the 400ex was a "better buy" based on a pretty lame race. I would hope that with your extensive knowlege (800+ posts) you would realize that the drag race was a joke and hardly reflective of the 450r's performance. Don't even try to tell me the 400ex is faster; stock for stock, we all know it isn't. There is post number 9 for ya!

the only time i have ever seen a 450r run was there and it barely beat the stock 400ex so how was i not to think well 5,600 for a quad and 7000 or how ever much they are for a 450r. and with it only beating it by alil i thought the ex was a better deal, i was not sure bout the 450rs performance since this is the only time i have seen one run!!

PEPwalshZ440
05-18-2004, 01:44 PM
EVERYONE JUST STOP POSTING HERE CUZ THIS IS THE STUPIDEST THREAD I'VE EVER EVER SEEN!

05-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by PEPwalshZ440
EVERYONE JUST STOP POSTING HERE CUZ THIS IS THE STUPIDEST THREAD I'VE EVER EVER SEEN! i agree...i kep coming back to see the responses hoping it doesnt get any dumber but every response is...my brain hurts

brif
05-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Anyone who has rode a 450r then rode a 400ex knows the answer to this . So lets move on and let the others figure it out for themselves........

tkwarrior
05-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by wheabix
From what I've heard, the 450's low rpm torque increases a fair bit with the installation on the HRC kit.

Actually that is the exact oposite of what happens when you install the HRC kit. You lose low end and gain a bigger advantage in the mid/high ranges.

05-18-2004, 07:48 PM
sounds like i need the HRC kit...

kawasaki_ridah
05-18-2004, 08:46 PM
I agree this is stupid, i was just saying what i saw. some people just get to worked up over the littlest things. Its kinda funny in away people get fighting mad over something like this hahaha

xr50layke
05-19-2004, 07:40 AM
i was just in the yfz forum and i hear "stock for stock the yfz is faster" then i come here and its all "stock for stock the R is faster."

lets leave it at WHO CARES WHOSE MOTOR IS FASTER? more like see ya at the races biattttch.