PDA

View Full Version : Throttle play ?

Lorduss
03-20-2002, 12:01 AM
Hey guys, ive got around, 3 tanks through my new 400ex, Great bike, i couldnt be more happy with it as my first. ive noticed alot of play in the throttle, even from when we first got it, but it allmost seems to be a slight bit more now, i would like to adjust it to allmost no play at all, plus having any play, arnt i losing possable higher throttle positions ? it allmost seems less powerfull i know theres a little more in there. i broke it in easy, my dad rode dirtbikes for a long time. and he knows hondas.
any advice would be great.

MadcapEX
03-20-2002, 05:36 AM
Take the cap plate off the throttle,dont worry like I did there is no springs or whatnot going to fly out. Open the throttle wideopen and carefully pull on the exposed cable with needle nose pliers CAREFULLY. If the cable moves before you hear the slide bottom out in the carb (clunk or click) you have play. The adjustment is right there where the cable goes into the throttle,adjust it till there is no play then back it off a hair so you dont stretch the cable or damage the carb slide.I noticed a pretty good difference in mine but it had alot of play!

Lil90man!!
03-23-2002, 06:00 PM
Hey you guys i have a question about my throttle thingy, i had sorta a crash they other day i went off a lil straight up hill( i thought i was in 1 i was in 3 i tried to wheelie it and it went blahhhthump staight up and down i sat!) but when it hit my knee hit the throtlle pretty hard and spun it clear around but it has the same amout of regular slack but if you grab it and pull back on it it moves back another half inch or so is this normal or what it didn't affect anything i still have full throttle when it opens but it will move backwards is this normal or is something screwy here?

Lorduss
03-25-2002, 01:54 AM
remove the cap and inspect the linkages, mess with the throttle, see if you can see any thing out of the ordanary, try to emulate what you fell when the cap off and see how it all works. if it fells werid now it could easly fail later on. preventave maintnence is everything.