PDA

View Full Version : Portable MP3 Player

Doibugu2
05-14-2004, 03:26 PM
I have been wanting one of these for awhile, and am just not sure which one to get. The ipod seems nice, but is the most expensive.

Does anyone of any comments on which one they have or have used?

I have over 20gig of MP3's so the little 256meg ones just don't cut it.

Thanks

310Rduner
05-14-2004, 04:57 PM
http://reviews.cnet.com/iRiver_iHP_120__20GB_/4505-6490_7-30571493-2.html?tag=review

You can thank me later:o Seriously though, I have looked at every mp3 player out there in the Gb size range the this Iriver is THE best imo. Look at the cnet review, then read the user opinions. Like 400+positive reviews. It does everything that every single other mp3 player can do, and tons of things you don't find in one package in any other player. You can find good deals online for around $300 as well.

DVS_Freestyler
05-14-2004, 06:24 PM
i just bought a cheap little one that holds like 32 songs that i put in my helmit when i go riding.. sure gets you riding a lot harder when you got "the end of augest" pumping in your ears :devil:

xr50layke
05-14-2004, 10:01 PM
the mini ipod holds like 250 songs and its an o-k price. i want one. gotta get the music flowin while your riding!

Snow
05-14-2004, 10:27 PM
sony minidisk players hold at least 50 songs and are solid. i had mine in my camelbak and i wrecked pretty bad, when i got home my mini disk player was perfectly fine but every thing else was destroyed

Snow
05-14-2004, 10:28 PM
btw there oonly like 89$$

brazilian rider
05-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by DVS_Freestyler
i just bought a cheap little one that holds like 32 songs that i put in my helmit when i go riding.. sure gets you riding a lot harder when you got "the end of augest" pumping in your ears :devil:

I do the same, with the same song! LOL

400EX_Kid_03
05-15-2004, 07:03 AM
I have the Dell Digital Jukebox 15GB player, works pretty good, battery lasts for a long time, and its not hard to learn how to use..

big-guy
05-15-2004, 07:21 AM
I have a sony mp3 walkman and I love it. Batteries last forever, and it plays cd's too.

blondie69
05-15-2004, 09:50 AM
MP3 players seem like neat lil things...but their so pricy most of them:huh I'd just rather stick to my discman and take a couple cd's along w/ me...doesn't bug me any. As long as its G-Protection, I'm good. I'd prefer a discman that played MP3 discs (the ones that hold like 200 songs..) but I don't, so its all good;) My stereo does tho..?:huh

Holy crap...20 gigs of music on your computer..!?!? That's crazy...I got like...5 or so. But hell...my drive is ONLY 20 gigs:eek2: I don't feel the need to have a 80 gig drive...I would never use up the space. I just store everything on RW discs...cuz I don't like keeping stuff on my computer anyways. It's completly bare besides...backgrounds, music, and programs. No pics of nothing..their all on discs.

sparky450AR
05-15-2004, 11:20 PM
check out the Rio 20gb player.... www.riohome.com

MOFO
05-16-2004, 06:35 AM
Well I do have to recommend the iPOD. I've never used or really played with the others, but I do have some good experience with the iPod and its sweet! Great user interface and pretty damn reliable.

Doibugu2
05-17-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
http://reviews.cnet.com/iRiver_iHP_120__20GB_/4505-6490_7-30571493-2.html?tag=review

You can thank me later:o Seriously though, I have looked at every mp3 player out there in the Gb size range the this Iriver is THE best imo. Look at the cnet review, then read the user opinions. Like 400+positive reviews. It does everything that every single other mp3 player can do, and tons of things you don't find in one package in any other player. You can find good deals online for around $300 as well.

I've been on cnet a number of times. If you look at the reviews, sometimes people will review the product and trash it or hype it before it even comes out. But there are some people that give some good feedback.

Just looking for some more first hand info. I have thought about the I-river but just don't know about the company. I bought a 16meg rio when they first came out and RIO just about forgot the product. No updates.

400grl
05-17-2004, 10:08 AM
I have a cheap little Lyra that I have been riding/racing with for a while - the thing has sand in it from the dunes and mud all over it (hard to wash!), but it still works like a champ. I have crashed with it several times, and it STILL works!!! LOL!!!! I like the Lyra's - great sound, not too expensive, and they are apparently very tough!!!

Doibugu2
05-17-2004, 10:10 AM
I guess I should have said this earlier. I don't plan on riding with this. Its more going to be used at the office or in the car. That is why I want a 20 gig player so I can carry all my songs and listen to them where ever I want.

400grl
05-17-2004, 10:25 AM
OIh - well then..... I hear the Ipod is the way to go!!! :)

crazybuffalo
05-18-2004, 04:51 PM
i bought an archos 20gig player from the best buy. they are a little pricey but ive never had any trouble with it.

Ralph
05-18-2004, 07:23 PM
dont ipods batterys only last like 2 years then u gotta buy a anew one for lik 200$?

310Rduner
05-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
dont ipods batterys only last like 2 years then u gotta buy a anew one for lik 200$?

Yeah, ipod has so far refused to switch to the different style battery like iriver and a few others are using which take several thousand more charges

Ralph
05-18-2004, 07:36 PM
what a piece of s#IT THEN

310Rduner
05-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
what a piece of s#IT THEN

Well.. the ipod isn't horrible, it's just the battery life is only 8 hours, and most of the time only really 6. I've played with several friends ipods, and the only things I can see that I liked about it were the scroll wheel, and the looks. Other than that the iriver's I've handled sound better and have a lot more features to them. You can read a freaking book on the thing, or plug it into your walkman and burn the tape to mp3 on the iriver. It plays almost every single type of sound files out there. You can plug it into ANY computer, whether windows or apple and drag and drop songs/files without ANY software. It comes with a flip style carrying case, 4 line LCD remote and none of the others come with these. The battery lasts for 16 hours (tested); the line out jack is reportedly just as great sounding as the headphone jack if you plug some a 2nd set of headphones into it. Oh, it also comes with an internal recorder, as well as a separte plug in recorder, built in Fm radio tuner (with ability to record to player from radio I believe)The list of things goes on and on, none of which Ipod can really compare to. Oh, and the 40GB version (iriver h140) is the same price as a (inferior) 20gb ipod.

Read some of the reviews from any site, most directly compare it to the ipod. There is only 1 general complaint in any review of the iriver, and it has to do with the database/id3 tagging system. I guess when you change or create playlists on the fly there is some sort of miss-naming mistake that can be made if you don't do it the right way.

Ralph
05-19-2004, 05:04 AM
i think people with ipods are ignorant and dumb for just going out and spending the cash before doing any research.:cool:

spincr4hire
05-19-2004, 06:02 AM
I got the Memorex for $89. Holds up to 512mb with an optional external card.

Doibugu2
05-19-2004, 08:43 AM
So 310 you have actually used both of them and played with them both?

I didn't get that from your first post. I got to play with the Ipod the other day, and didn't like the scroll wheel. It was hard to get it to work right. But I only tried it for like 30 seconds, so it could of just been me.

Thanks for the info Ralph about the battery. Never heard about that. I was actually looking on purchasing one off Ebay that was used, but I think I might have to can that idea.

crazybuffalo
05-19-2004, 02:00 PM
that archos one i got you can take the rechargeable batteries out and put in regular AA batteries.

MOFO
05-19-2004, 02:11 PM
yea, I've heard about that battery thing before....now that I think about it. There is some kid that made a video showing himself going around some big city putting up posters saying Ipod sucks because of the battery crap.

Doibugu2
05-19-2004, 02:34 PM
I think I am going to pick up the I-river tonight if it is in stock. It has some nice features the ipod doesn't and I like it's looks.

310Rduner
05-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
So 310 you have actually used both of them and played with them both?

I didn't get that from your first post. I got to play with the Ipod the other day, and didn't like the scroll wheel. It was hard to get it to work right. But I only tried it for like 30 seconds, so it could of just been me.

Thanks for the info Ralph about the battery. Never heard about that. I was actually looking on purchasing one off Ebay that was used, but I think I might have to can that idea.

Sorry about that, I was a little hasty posting and didn't word it right. I haven't handled it extensively, but it had nice controls and looks from what I saw. Either way the features speak for itself; I really think that ipod does just market to the people who don't research the other brands and just go buy one cause they assume apple wouldn't over hype something.

brazilian rider
05-20-2004, 04:31 AM
I think I lost my usb cable!

Tryed to use my digital camera cable intead but it won't fit!

Is it easy to get another one or use another kind of usb cable? Where can I get it?

Doibugu2
05-21-2004, 02:25 PM
So I went Wednesday after work to go get one. I looked online to find the closest Best Buy store. I thought I was lucky to find one so close to the gym that I work out at after work. So I finished my workout and planned on going over. It was supposed to be 5 minutes from where I was at. After driving 30 minutes up and down the rode, I came to the conclusion the store is closed.

So I took out my cell phone and looked up the nearest one. There was another one about 20 minutes away and not to far away from my drive home. (I live over an work from work). So after realizing I was heading the wrong way down the street that the store was supposed to be on I found the store and went in.

I went in the store and noticed that there were several of them out to look and play with. They are bolted to the counter however. So I was playing with the Iriver for about 20 minutes. I wasn't very happy with the controls or the screen. For $330, I expect a better screen than your typical calculator LCD. While playing with this, the guy that works in the department didn't say a word to me. So I finally asked the guy if he new how to get it to play on the FM radio.

He then asked me if I wanted he wanted me to take it off the counter. I thought to myself it would have been nice to offer that 20 minutes ago. He tried to get it to show the FM screen and finally said he didn't know how.

I didn't care he coudn't get it to the screen, I just told him to give me one so I could buy it.

His response, "Oh, were all out"

So wasted about 2 hours trying to get one.