PDA

View Full Version : Best high compression piston

quallerd
05-14-2004, 01:38 PM
I'll be putting it in a trx 450r, but generally speaking, who makes a better high compression piston. All opinions and feedback are welcome! If you have any other suggestions please post those as well.

quallerd
05-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Anyone???:confused: I'd really like to hear of people's experiences with any of the above pistons (or others). I will be purchasing one soon and don't know which one to go with.:( Or, does it truly not matter because they are all about the same!?!?:rolleyes: Thanks for your opinions!

redroost85
05-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Just a thought. I have heard on here that Wiseco's advertised compression ratios are not exact, whether that was the old style Wisecos or not I don't know.

I have seen many guys on here running the JE. Ross pistons are now being sold by C&D...so they can't be junk, lol!

Just a gut feeling, when I bore mine out, it's gonna be a JE.:)

shamisc
05-19-2004, 09:04 AM
Wiseco and JE are 1 company now. But, I would still go with the JE!

quallerd
05-19-2004, 09:25 AM
I had kinda thought the same thing... Wiseco and JE were #1, but now with all the problems that Sparks seems to be having with their JE pistons I'm not to sure. Maybe the best thing to do is to wait till Sparks gets theirs in and just go with it. That way it will have gone through two QC processes.... JE's and Sparks. Besides, it's hard to go wrong with a company that is building the motor for Farr! Just hate to wait that long!!!:mad:

Silverfox@C&DRacing
05-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Ross doesn't make a piston for the 450r

Yes wiseco and JE are owned by the same parent company but are still independent in their manufacturing.

my first choice would be the JE piston. From my understanding in the beginning Sparks was using a piston designed from the dirtbike a 2 ring piston instead of the 3 ring which is now available. much better design

quallerd
05-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Does C&D sell the newly designed Sparks/JE piston? If so, do you have them in stock? How much are they? Thanks. Also, I had heard somewhere that you can have this piston ceramic coated and it's much better for the motor. Is this true or just a bunch of b.s.?

K_Fulk
05-19-2004, 08:27 PM
The ceramic coating is supose to push the heat out of exhaust faster. From the people i have talked to it is supposed to work pretty good. I'm getting it done with my 460. Its pretty cheap to like 25 bucks.

I'm going with a je this time around but it seems heavier than the weiscos. Haven't weighed them so I dont have any real numbers.

86atc250r
05-19-2004, 09:01 PM
With the 400EX pistons the Wisecos significantly more heavy, but having lighter tapered style wrist pins -- overall, still more heavy though--- doesn't necessarily mean the same will ring true for the 450R pistons.

Ross is the king of the lightweight piston for the 400EX.

Maybe some of us should get together and have a set of custom Ross pistons made, it's not very much more expensive & the minimum order is only 4.

quallerd
05-19-2004, 09:23 PM
I might be interested in a 12:1 ceramic coated piston from Ross.

quallerd
05-20-2004, 11:23 AM
To bad Sparks isn't going to be offering a ceramic coated version of either of their two high compression pistons for the 450r if and when they ever come out!?!?!:grr: That would definately be the one that I would go with!

Colby@C&DRacing
05-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Ross does not make a piston for the 450r because they do not have a forging for it that works right, and do not want to spend the money on a new one. So for now the Ross pistons ae not an option for the 450r. I am working on another brand of piston that Honda Jim at Ross turned me onto :)

86atc250r
05-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Cool - what compression ratio are you looking at?

quallerd
05-23-2004, 11:34 PM
What brand of piston might that be????:eek2: