PDA

View Full Version : This is a 2002 right? Then why doesnt it start! Help!

RideRed04
08-25-2001, 09:21 AM
Ok, I am getting right pissed off here! (sorry for the redneck slang, i dont know where that came from).
1. Buy 2002 400ex.
2. Fall in love with power and handling
3. Dislike hard starting, figure it is the fault of the misadjusted valves
4. Bring quad in for 10 hour tune up, get charged $80 to adjust valves, dont thing they are in spec yet.
5. Go to school for 8 hours, and then have to go to work for another 5 bagging groceries (ahhhh! talk about stress!)
6. Get home from work, NEED to ride the good ole 400
7. 2000 Sportsmen starts up with quick jab of starter
8. 400ex starts with quick jab of starter, but is bearly hanging on, and kills
9. 400 will not come back.
10. I have to ride a 99 sportsman with shocks that are wasted, squeek, and need to be replaced, while my 2002!!!! 400ex sits at home.

ok, now do you see why I am pissed? I dont know what it is. could it be the idle speed? It has always done this! It is alittle better sence the dealer adjusted the valves, but I dont know if they are to spec yet, there is still some noise coming from the valve train at idle (normal?). I really need help here! If it isnt fixed by labor day, I dont know what I am going to do!

Guy400
08-25-2001, 09:36 AM
Welcome to the 400EX, it's a cold blooded SOB and that's just the way it is. Are you setting the choke when trying to start it? I know my cousin has to feather the throttle the first minute or so and then once the engine gets a little temp in it it's fine. Your valves have nothing to do with the hard starting. Also, a little valvetrain noise is normal.

RideRed04
08-25-2001, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I know it is cold blooded, but I have to use the choke when it is 80 degrees out, and it flat out refused to start when it is below 70. This is nuts! There is no way it is going to start this winter! I have done the feather the throttle thing, but only when I can get it started. I was getting really pissed one time, The kill swich got bumped off, I think you can figure the rest out... Its turning over, what the hell! hehe, I felt dumb.

Guy400
08-25-2001, 09:56 AM
I've got to use the choke on my Raptor despite the temp on every first start. What we found on my cousin's bike was that the throttle cable was disgustingly loose. We tightened the cable and then gave it an extra little turn. This upped his base idle just a hair and the bike starts and idles a bunch better.

RideRed04
08-25-2001, 09:59 AM
yeah, I already adjusted the cable, but not to the point of upping the idle. The higher idle speed made it start easier?

Guy400
08-25-2001, 10:00 AM
Yep. I know the bike is new but you may also want to try replacing the plug. Maybe you got a dud or something.

RideRed04
08-25-2001, 10:05 AM
Could be, Ill check that. Thanks a bunch, you have given me a shimmer of light... hehe

nakomis0
08-25-2001, 10:16 AM
Dude I never have starting problems. I live in Michigan, its like 0 degrees out, with a wind chill of -10, and my 400 still starts.

Red don't choke it. your floooding the thing. Go your bike, turn everything in the on position, give it a couple squirts of gas with the thumb throttle. Start the bike, keep her running by bliping the thumb throttle or holding the rpms at a steady speed where it doesn't die. Do that for a minute, than slowly let off the gas, if it feels like its gonna die, or is idling very low, give it a few throttle blips, reach onto the side of your carb and turn your idle up, make it idle fast. than get off and let it warm up.

Or even just turn the idle up a couple turns before you even try and start it. And of course once its warmed up you can turn the idle down.

RideRed04
08-25-2001, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I usually give it a few squirts, and dont use the choke, just because I want to see if it starts if I took the choke off. I was just wondering if I was doing everything right. I guess I just need to be more patiant lol.

400exRacerX
08-25-2001, 11:18 AM
on a average day were i live its from 85 degrees + and my 400 is a firggin pain to start, i half choke it sometimes. like yesterday it took me like 1 1/2 mins to get it started because it sat in the garage for a week. its just a cold blooded machine that gives you trouble to get it started.

08-25-2001, 11:44 AM
Unless I ride every day, which is unusual, I have to turn my choke on all the way and let it run that way for awhile to let it warm up. If I don't I have to play with the throttle. You are right it is a pain!!!

My brother-in-laws is the same way. By the look of this thread you are not alone.

RideRed04
08-25-2001, 12:00 PM
I wonder what it is that makes it so cold blooded? If I figured that out, I could be rich making products to fix it!

Revin300EX
08-25-2001, 02:18 PM
Did you ever think to adjust the Mix Screw? I bet if you turn it out a turn or 2, it will start right up!

It needs more fuel... Turn that air/fuel mix screw out and it will work.

400grl
08-25-2001, 04:14 PM
I'm sure you have already done this, but try switching the gas switch from on to reserve and back to on again. For some reason when I first bought my bike, it would "stick" in the off position, even when I had the knob turned to on. I did this a couple of times, and it's never done it again.

Also <corry gets embarrassed here> check your gas. Last time I couldn't start my bike, I thought it was the switch acting up again, and I found out it would start if I had it on "reserve", so I rode it that way - well, yeah, it was pretty much out of gas, and I ran out on top of this mountain. Fortunately, someone had littered, and there was a beer bottle up there that my husband drained some of his gas into and gave to me......I cannot TELL you how stupid I felt.

Now I'm an obsessive gas-checker! :D

How was your plug? Maybe it's not gapped right? I think the gap needs to be somewhere between 0.6 - 0.7 mm (or 0.024 - 0.028 in)

EX_RIDER
08-25-2001, 05:31 PM
My 400 has never had a starting problem.I just turn the choke on and hit the starter button.I don't even touch the gas.She starts right up and then I take the choke off and she runs great.:devil

08-25-2001, 05:45 PM
HERE IS THE CURE!!!

Ok guys. Here is what you do if it is 80º or -10º outside. You turn the fuel off and drain your carb. Then turn the choke on all the way. Turn your fuel on again and crank the engine. It should start right up. And if it does, then quickly use the throttle and turn the choke to 1/2. Let it warm and DO NOT let it die. Then you should be fine. This has worked when ice was frozen on the carb before. It should work.

I think this is the best post I have ever posted.:square

TDBRPH
08-25-2001, 05:48 PM
These bikes are jetted way too lean from the factory to please the environazi's !! Give the engine more fuel if it wants it !! Try a slight jetting change that worked wonders for me and my buds!! They start right up now ! Still a little cold blooded in the dead of winter but what isn't!!

Later,

Triston

Winged Warrior
08-25-2001, 06:14 PM
They say go to size 40 pilot jet ,i did it i think it helped ,plus my starting method is different .pump the gas (no choke) crack it open and hold,hit it! hold it ,pump it, ride it.:blah

4punksdad
08-25-2001, 06:16 PM
I have never owned a 4 stroke honda that wasn't "cold blooded". The 400EX is no different. Every one I have ever owned wanted to be started at FULL choke just until it pops the first time. Then switch to HALF choke & she will run..........warm up time is usually one to 3 minutes before they will run well with NO choke.

My 86 TRX-70 is the exception to this rule. It will fire & run with no choke, but it still needs at least 1 minute of warm up time.

08-27-2001, 10:45 AM
Put a dynojet kit in it and your trouble will be over,,,Oh yeah leave the choke alone when starting it,,,:D

08-27-2001, 09:48 PM
i never use my choke so i remover it...i just hit start..pump the throttle and it starts up fine..i dosen't idle good till i take it to 5th gear and after it's warmed up good....remember though..riding before its warmed up is very bad

knighttime
08-28-2001, 07:08 AM
Change your plug and jetting and you won't even have to use your choke.

RideRed04
08-28-2001, 03:17 PM
If I go up to a 40 piolet jet, will that help it to start easier?

08-28-2001, 06:00 PM
Yes, most people who have gone up in pilot jet size have reported that it makes it easier to start. 3punksdad and TDBRPH hit it right on - they are cold-blooded from the factory without jetting changes.

400exBro
08-28-2001, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Put a dynojet kit in it and your trouble will be over,,,Oh yeah leave the choke alone when starting it,,,:D
I put a dynojet kit in from K&N(changed main jet, main jet adapter,needle on 3rd grove ) and still wont start good !! maybe i have to go to a 40 pilot jet!!! If i should how do you get to your pilot jet..
thanks
400exBro

knighttime
08-29-2001, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by RideRed04
If I go up to a 40 piolet jet, will that help it to start easier?

Yes, and change your plug, and get some filtered airbox vents. Be careful and take your time drilling the holes. Use a flat wood drill bit.

08-29-2001, 09:07 AM
Why should you not use your choke when starting cold? I thought that's what the choke was for??:)

08-29-2001, 09:14 AM
The choke has only caused me more sparkplugs and problems starting. I haven't never used my choke,,not once..even when it's cold out.

coryatver
08-29-2001, 09:23 AM
I use the choke when I start mine. I put it on full and hit the starter and give it a little gas then when it starts up put it on half choke and press the gas a little but hold it steady for a half of min, don't blimp it becuase it will flood. Then it should idle on its own. I still have my stock spark plug.