View Full Version : Nerf bars for the woods?

Bender
05-13-2004, 11:10 PM
Just wondering if nerf bars are a help or a hinderence riding in tight woods. I've never run a pair and don't know if I'm missing out or not.

Cole Trane
05-14-2004, 12:58 AM
Some people like them and some say they get in the way. Personal preference I guess. I use them!!

KY Woods Rider
05-14-2004, 11:28 AM
It's just personal preference.

Of course nerfs will prevent your foot from going to the ground if you slip off the front of the peg and will help prevent you from getting tangled with another quad. Other than that, the two advantages to me are that nerfs help prevent hanging the rear tire on a tree and you can use the nerf to help get you around tight low speed corners. Without nerfs, you can hang your rear tire on a tree bad enough to bend an axle and toss you off the quad. With nerfs, assuming you're running close to stock width in the rear, you'll just scuff the outer edge of the tire and not actually hang on the tree. In really tight low speed corners, you can get up close to a tree on the inside, then cut over toward it and use the nerf against the tree to help pivot the rear-end around the corner quickly. Of course this is a tactic only to be used at fairly low speeds.

However, nerfs do have a few negatives. On machines without reverse, you've got to use your feet on the front tires to push yourself rearward, there's no more just sticking you feet down in front of the pegs and pushing back. Some people cut out the inner portion of the net so they can touch the ground though, but the thought of a foot slipping off the peg and being able to easily go to the ground and get stuck between the frame and nerf has always bothered me with that modification. Nerfs are just something else to pick up sticks. In really technical terrain, nerfs are just one more area that you can get hung on a stump or big rock.

Personally, I don't like nerfs for the woods. Of course some people call me weird because I won't run heel guards either. Like I said above though, it's just personal preference.

04'400ex'er
05-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Anybody have any comments about the standard series AC nerfs?
Seems to me nerfs would help landings on jumps.

gratzracing24
05-19-2004, 01:40 PM
I have them on my 300 and its one of the 1st things i would do if i ever got a new bike...the outer side of them will get scratched but it help alot because my friends get hung up on trees alot and if i ever get close...it just slides off the nerf bar....i would say yes...and i have the ac and there enough room to get ur feet down inbetween the frame and the net...that kinda scares me thinking about it sometimes tho but it hasnt happended yet...

Quadworks
05-20-2004, 08:58 AM
I say get the nerfs. I have the AC Propegs and love them. What everyone is saying is true. Once you get used to them you will not regret it.

Pappy
05-20-2004, 09:01 AM
my nerfs have kept me from wrecking in the woods more then they have ever caused me to get hung up or caused trouble with backing the quad up. my nerfs have bounced me off tree's that surely would have hooked my rear tire sending me flying to impending dome:D

jjthekj
05-20-2004, 09:30 AM
I believe you will find that all those that manufacture nerfs are efforting to revamp thier webbing so that your foot cannot slip through to the ground.

Kid named Bartosek comes to mind.

Still ain't over that.

TC426EX
05-20-2004, 12:23 PM
I would definitely get the nerfs!! Nerfs will help you ALOT more than they will hurt you in the woods. The biggest advantage, as stated earlier is that you can use them to sort of shimmy around trees and not get hung up. This has proved to be more valuable than i can explain. It gives you more confidence to just go balls out on the trails and not be as worried. I used to race XC before crossing over to MX and man did my nerfs save me. Its true sometimes sticks COULD get stuck in the webbing but I have never had a problem with that. It is true that you cant get your feet on the ground but then again why would you need to? If youre not gonna make the hill, you gotta just stop it on the hill and roll back or just bail off. I would say get the nerfs no questions asked and you will not regret it!!