PDA

View Full Version : 450r won't run past idle

gncc533
05-13-2004, 10:29 PM
can somebody help me i'm getting ready to pull my hair out. i pulled my quad out of the garage to give it a test ride it ran fine for about 5min then just died. it will start up and idles fine but the second touch the throttle it starts cutting out then push it a little more it dies.i just installed an HMF full system, no lid ,UNI turned the air screw all the way in then backed it out 2.5 times,dropped the needle clip 1 notch,started w/190 main thought it was a little rich now it has 180 main. could it be a fouled plug. please HELP.I'm supposed to race sat. thanks.

2004TRX450R
05-14-2004, 01:21 AM
Sounds like the clip fell off the needle. Check that and make sure the jets are all in tight. Maybe one fell out.

psd1
05-14-2004, 03:01 AM
Is the choke out???

psd1
05-14-2004, 03:09 AM
Is the choke out???

1fast450R
05-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Is the gas on??? lol...

400Riderex
05-14-2004, 06:18 PM
i was thinking that too check and see if the gas is on cause sometimes after washing mine i will leave it off and then it will dies and i am like wtf and then it will start but when u give it trottle it dies.

maybe its the same for you

wyndzer
05-14-2004, 06:40 PM
Sounds pretty rich to me for just a pipe and lid removal. I'd say go down about 15-20 sizes and go from there.

sparky450AR
05-14-2004, 09:17 PM
Mine did that, and i took it to a dealer and paid an hour of labor time only to find out that i had left a rag in the airbox hole. I put a rag in it so nothing would get in it. I know im probably the only one stupid enough to do this but, i thought i would say somethin.:D

gncc533
05-15-2004, 12:28 AM
thanks for the responses. but i figured it out. when i took the screw out of the throttle shaft to pull the slide out there was a washer i didn't see. it got lodged and my slide was stuck open.now i can ride it tommorow and get it tuned in. thanks again.seeya on the trails or on the track.

DoctorRags
05-16-2004, 06:42 AM
Yeah, this same thing happened to me this weekend at he Rausch Creek GNCC. I was running a good race, probably 3rd or 4th, and then on the last lap I stalled and tried to kick it over and the quad would start, but then die when I gave it gas. This happened 3 or 4 times in a row, and then I just let the quad sit for a minute. After the waiting, she started right up and away we went. I have no clue what the problem was, but it cost me about 8 places and a top 5 finish.

Anyone else have some suggestions.

number52
01-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Have this same thing happening to a bike and can't figure it out. It starts right up, but then starts cutting out at 1/4 throttle, then will die at 1/2 throttle. This is just setting there and you hit the throttle. They told me that they were riding across a field in about 3rd gear and it started doing this. Carb has been gone through and didn't see anything wrong!

Dragnut06
01-13-2007, 09:35 PM
maybe u have something in the carb.? how dirty is ur air filter, this sounds about what happened to me, i was riding at a friend and my quad stalled joinin up a jump and i would kick over and it would run and when i gave it gas it would die, i ended up taking it to a friends house and we cleaned out the carb but blowing air it w/ a air compressor and no it runs like a champ. and i cleaned the filter to cuz it was as black as my tank.

Houser450
01-14-2007, 12:08 AM

Dragnut06
01-14-2007, 12:12 AM
who are you talking too??

ricks450
01-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
Mine did that, and i took it to a dealer and paid an hour of labor time only to find out that i had left a rag in the airbox hole. I put a rag in it so nothing would get in it. I know im probably the only one stupid enough to do this but, i thought i would say somethin.:D dont feel bad i did the same thing. but i never took to the shop. just after going to get a new plug and trying to get it to start for 45mins. i remembered i left the rag in it. lol :D

ricks450
01-14-2007, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by DoctorRags
Yeah, this same thing happened to me this weekend at he Rausch Creek GNCC. I was running a good race, probably 3rd or 4th, and then on the last lap I stalled and tried to kick it over and the quad would start, but then die when I gave it gas. This happened 3 or 4 times in a row, and then I just let the quad sit for a minute. After the waiting, she started right up and away we went. I have no clue what the problem was, but it cost me about 8 places and a top 5 finish.

Anyone else have some suggestions. mine did the samething one time and it was the float needle got a peice of trash in it and started floodin out on me in the middle of a trail. the trash finally got out the needle and seat and started doing fine. and another you didnt get a little bit of water in it did ya? i got alittle bit in mine and had to keep runing tell it passed. just a thought.:)

number52
01-14-2007, 08:21 AM
carb was completely cleaned along with air filter. New plug was installed and it's not starving for fuel from a clogged needle and seat because I put the tank on and started it then took the tank back off, I was able to start it 2 more times and it never ran out of fuel! And NO the choke is not on, the motor revs way high when the choke is on anyhow so that would be a no brainer. Any other ideas?

ricks450
01-14-2007, 05:45 PM
well with the bike revin up with choke on tells me that it is not getting enough fuel. with the choke on its pullin more of a vacume on the fuel so it pull up more through the main jet. most of the time when you have a air leak it will not idle. it will idle at a high rpm or not idle consistent. you still have a clogged jet or its clogged in the carb it self or your not running a big enough jet. if the bike is all stock your jet size is fine unless somebody swicthed them. and you say it will idle so its not the slow jet, its got to be your main jet curcuit. theres not much more it can be. its not an electrical problem because it wouldnt rev up on choke. got one question does the bike rev up fine on choke like theres no problem when your just sitting there revin up, not ridin? dont take this wrong just trying to help. :)

cals400ex
01-15-2007, 06:06 PM
maybe a bad stator?

number52
01-15-2007, 06:20 PM
You were all wrong, it had metal shavings on the flywheel. But thanks for the help anyhow. This was the last thing I could think that was wrong. I did a leak down test on it and everything checked out. Swapped carburetors with a known working one that had the same mods and also swapped fuel tanks with different fuel in them. Also installed new plug and changed filter with no change in results.

ricks450
01-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by number52
You were all wrong, it had metal shavings on the flywheel. But thanks for the help anyhow. This was the last thing I could think that was wrong. I did a leak down test on it and everything checked out. Swapped carburetors with a known working one that had the same mods and also swapped fuel tanks with different fuel in them. Also installed new plug and changed filter with no change in results. glad you found it. but where did those matel shavings come from? thats not a good sign.

number52
01-16-2007, 07:02 PM
This is an '04 motor that had the right main crank bearing go out on it. It must of had a small piece of metal left in a hole somewhere and it finally let go.