PDA

View Full Version : Which Exhaust System Should I Get?

livinontheedgel
05-13-2004, 10:23 PM
I plan on buying a new exhaust system within the next couple of days. Im not sure which one to get. All imput is welcome! I have narrowed my choices down to the following:
1. CHM Full System
2. HMF Full System
3. Sparks Racing Full System
4. LRD Full System

Does anyone out there have one of these systems? If so how do you like it? Are there any othere systems out there to consider? Thanks.

quallerd
05-13-2004, 10:43 PM
I have the sparks exhaust an absolutely love it. I'd definately buy it again if i had it to do over. If i wouldn't have gotten the sparks i probably would have gone with the HMF. The sparks definately made a huge improvement in the power of the bike! It is really loud though!

livinontheedgel
05-13-2004, 10:50 PM
How is the sparks on the bottom? I am looking for a system that will wake the 450 up in the lower RPM's. I have been looking at the HMF but their dyno results are really hard to believe. I have compared their results with dirt wheels last year on the Z shootout and their website claims an 8 HP increase while dirtwheels dyno showed a 2.5 HP increase.

bigz-71
05-13-2004, 11:48 PM
i got the hmf and i like it a lot. its not as loud as the curtis sparks. some measure horsepower from the crank and the other one measures it from the rear wheels. that is why the different numbers. i think they all pull good numbers and power. the curtis sparks is a great pipe, i just went with the hmf. it was pulling better numbers on the 400ex than the curtis was. i think you might as well flip a coin sometimes on which pipe to get. it might be easier. LOL.
Jeremy

WOracing
05-14-2004, 03:44 PM
You should consider yoshimura.....excellent exausts, you gotta work the headers a bit though.

PEPwalshZ440
05-14-2004, 04:36 PM
TC:p

tkwarrior
05-14-2004, 04:47 PM
The Sparks pipe will really wakeup the bike. I would do it again if I had to choose tomorrow.

r450rr
05-14-2004, 07:15 PM
yoshi

MTEXRANCHER
05-14-2004, 11:11 PM
I just put on my HMF Full System the other day. I waited on installing my HRC kit to see what the pipe did and now I think I am going to skip the cam and go back to the 14t front sprocket. The power is smooth and pulls HARD from bottom to top now. I saw a couple of YFZs at St Anthonys last weekend one with a Sparks and one with a HMF. Both of them beat me with my stock muffler with the HRC end cap, 178 main jet, 13t front and no air box lid, but not by much. My pipe showed up at my house the day we got there. On the YFZs the Sparks bike seemed to be slightly stronger but I wanted a USFS spark arrestor and a quiet core for trail riding. The full HMF pipe has really uncorked this baby I think this is the low end feel trail riders and dune riders are looking for.

MTEXRANCHER
05-14-2004, 11:20 PM
I just put on my HMF Full System the other day. I waited on installing my HRC kit to see what the pipe did and now I think I am going to skip the cam and go back to the 14t front sprocket. The power is smooth and pulls HARD from bottom to top now. I saw a couple of YFZs at St Anthonys last weekend one with a Sparks and one with a HMF. Both of them beat me with my stock muffler with the HRC end cap, 178 main jet, 13t front and no air box lid, but not by much. My pipe showed up at my house the day we got there. On the YFZs the Sparks bike seemed to be slightly stronger but I wanted a USFS spark arrestor and a quiet core for trail riding. The full HMF pipe has really uncorked this baby I think this is the low end feel trail riders and dune riders are looking for.

snow4fun
05-15-2004, 08:49 AM
MTEXRANCHER,
So how bad were the YFZ's beating you??? Were you racing them on flat ground or uphill (Thunder Mtn, Chokecherry, Devils Dune?) I am interested because with mine bone stock and a 14 tooth front sprocket on its first outing, I was getting spanked by a YFZ but I think he had everything done to his (Pipe, cam, airbox mods, etc). Since then I have installed the HRC kit and am excited to hear these results... When are you heading to Idaho next? We will probably fight the crowd and try it over Memorial day...
Thanks Scott

WOracing
05-15-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by PEPwalshZ440
TC:p

lol that would have been my first pick for him but they are loud.....i love em though, they make so much power. If the noise factor isnt a problem go with this pipe....then yoshi if noise is an issue.:)

Bretmd94
05-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Sparks is the perfect exhaust for waking up the lower end power.

I havent changed the gearign on my bike and after getting the sparks stainless system I dont think I will. It never has that bogging sound anymore. Also with 18" mx tires the gearing is fine for me. Then in the sand I wouldnt want to lower it any either.

The sparks system also fit extremely well compared to other exhaust systems i have but on in the past.

It is loud though in the high rpms, but actually is pretty quiet in the lower rpms. It has a very nice low thump to it.

If i had to get exhaust again it would be the sparks stainless still. My friends Yosh pipe got a little hot once melted all the rubber pieces that hold it, turned the whole can a brown color, and looks like poo. They are decent though. I wouldnt way they are better than sparks.

WOracing
05-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Bretmd94
[B]

My friends Yosh pipe got a little hot once melted all the rubber pieces that hold it, turned the whole can a brown color]

Never heard of this happeneing

brif
05-15-2004, 06:52 PM
The one on my z never did that either. The only rubber part on the z exhaust was for the band that attaches the pipe to the bike and a rubber insert for a mounting hole. It would have to get real hot to melt either of those 2 parts.......

SandDuner
05-22-2004, 04:54 PM
The HMF numbers on there full system are out ragoues The HMF full system seems pretty good to me.

Hammer trx450r
05-22-2004, 06:08 PM
TC for 450r and Yoshi on a z400

livinontheedgel
05-26-2004, 04:45 PM
Got my pipe in a couple of days ago. Installed easy and got it tuned in on the first time. Makes a nice difference. Well worth the money.

#1speedbump
05-26-2004, 05:26 PM
cool, now what pipe did you decide on???

livinontheedgel
05-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Pro Circuit T-4 full system

kwatts400
05-26-2004, 11:38 PM
How loud is it? I had one on my 400ex and loved it, I just don't want a super loud pipe on my 450r.

brif
05-27-2004, 04:43 PM
I think the pipe I will get will be the yoshi. I saw one at silverlake last weekend. It sounded good and the tri-oval looks good and is different. Considering how close these pipes are to one-another, these could be used as the deciding factors.

livinontheedgel
05-30-2004, 02:13 PM
It is hard to say. It is not as loud as the DG I had on my KFX 400. I would say that it is average for an aftermarket pipe. It it pretty quiet until you get in the high mid and high rpms. Pro Circuit also sells a quiet core. A waste of money for me. I read somewhere that my pipe is around 98 db. Hope this helps.

PEPwalshZ440
05-30-2004, 02:42 PM
i would pick TC again in a heartbeat. Yes it is loud but the HP and torque gains are insane.....i pull on some YFZs now...

450r35
05-30-2004, 07:26 PM
should have bought a duncan if you wanted to wake it up

JW450R1
05-30-2005, 05:17 PM
hmf exhaust full system and rejett