PDA

View Full Version : Ktm 250r

TheFontMaster
05-13-2004, 06:17 PM
I'm starting a project 250R once I sell my 300ex and get some money to spend. I was going to star from scratch, buy a frame motor swingarm etc. I just got the idea of putting a KTM 250 motor into it instead of a 250R engine. I was just wondering if anyone has done this, and I dont know much about the specs of the motor. The power that it's got is my main question. Also what kind of aftermarket stuff is there for it, is there as much as there is for the 250R? And finaly and most importantly with the motor swap would I be able to race it in gncc? Thanks, I cant wait to start this projet. :)

velocityatv
05-13-2004, 06:32 PM
you would be better off staying with the R motor. The only advantage youd have with the KTM is if the motor you have is power valved other than that it would vibrate bad. If ya do any KTM motor swap go with the 520 make it worth your time.

airheadedduner
05-14-2004, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't do the KTM motor. They are piles, sometimes they are reliable, from what I have seen, mostly not. For cheaper you could go with the CR or YZ motor and it would be just as fast and much more reliable.

Juggalo
05-15-2004, 01:11 PM
you don't want that motor...especially if you plan to race it. its not counterbalanced and will vibrate really bad and wear you out a lot faster plus it will break your frame and all kinds of other things. just stick to the R motor..theres plenty of things out there to make the R motor as powerful as you want it to be.

Bean
05-16-2004, 01:19 AM
Joe Bryd raced a cr 250 motored 250r, why not the ktm, from what i hear, they are decent enough, if you got the cash, try it, why not, you only live once

mascman
05-16-2004, 04:14 AM
I had a 2000 KTM 250 MXC. Stock hp was more than the Jap bikes. The new 250SX will kill the CR, YZs, etc.

My brother had a 300MXC. That motor would make an awesome quad motor. Tons of power everywhere. Better yet would be the 380.

KTMs are better quality than Jap bikes. The older models may not have been as reliable, but after owning at least one of each brand...the KTMs come off the showroom with higher quality parts.

I say Go For It!

TheFontMaster
05-16-2004, 09:50 AM
I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I've gotten mixed reviews about the KTM motor, but i'm still wondering if I could race it in the gncc races. Thanks for the info.

airheadedduner
05-16-2004, 10:10 PM
The KTM motor is deffiatly fast and very torquey but the reliability is not there. For what the motor swap would cost you could buy a PV R clyinder and it would be way more reliable.