PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket ?

lilpoppy
05-13-2004, 05:41 PM
I just blew a Cometic gasket and now I have decided to stick with the OEM gasket. I have a ross 416 and I was at 11:1 compression and I am woundering if i can do a gasket mod with the OEM gasket to get it back to 11:1 . What is my compression gonna be with the stock gasket if i leave it alone?

pnut420
05-13-2004, 08:37 PM
You can make the OEM thinner by just using the bas gasket, Micky D swears by it , but some say dont do it, some say dont do the Cometic, etc... If you get those FDO studs installed you should be fine with either the OEM with base gasket only or the cometic.

the only way to get a TRUE 11:1 is to have a custom Wiseco piston made that is the same deck height as the stock 400ex piston, unlike the ROSSS< JE, etc... that are for a XR400 and only give you 10.8:1 compression, and the squash height is not right which robs a little power and is supposed to add more heat.

Id like to hear hear other input on this...

lilpoppy
05-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Has anyone gone with just the OEM base gasket?

cals400ex
05-14-2004, 03:41 PM
you will want to run a head gasket for sure, even if it is just one layer of it. i have ran the oem and cosmetic. after seeing and comparing both of the steel headgaskets, i prefer the cosmetic. i have never had a problem with either but the cosmetic is thinner. i would definately get a steel one though. the base gaskets are similar but i usually just get the kit that cosmetic makes that includes a head and base gasket.