PDA

View Full Version : need help installing new 300ex clutch

08-25-2001, 08:02 AM
How tight do u suppose to put the 300ex clutch springs in? and how do u get the plates off? i'm having a little trouble

Revin300EX
08-25-2001, 02:35 PM
The lifter plate bolts should be tightened to 108 Inch pounds...

The center locknut can be a real bear to get off. You WILL need an impact gun and a 28mm socket. Make sure you unstake the locknut. It is crimped in around the shaft at a point. Take a punch and bend the stake back out. I know that my locknut stripped out on the shaft, so you may want to prepare to replace it. They are like 2 bucks...

After that, there is a washer behind the nut. It is marked "OUTSIDE". Dont lose this washer.

The housing and inner housing will slide on out. Make sure you find the plastic bushing that the housing rides on. It is either in the housing, or on the shaft. Dont lose it, and keep it CLEAN!

The center housing will slide right out. This will leave the plates in the basket. Take these out, if you plan on reusing them, keep them in order and dont flip them over.

If you are replacing them, soak the new plates in oil for atleast half an hour. Then install them in the same order the orginal plates were in.

Line the inner housing back up inside the basket. There are grooves in the plates that the inner basket will fit in. Make sure You get the inner housing lined up with all of the plates.

Slide the assembly onto the shaft. Make sure the plastic bushing is on the shaft and that it is VERY clean. Oil on it is OK, but dirt is not. The assembly should slide on the bushing with no effort.

Install the washer marked "OUTSIDE". Make sure the side with that marking that says "OUTSIDE" is facing the "OUTSIDE"!

Install the new locknut. Hand tighten it and then hit it with the Impact gun. I hit mine for aboyt 5 seconds to make sure it was good and tight.

Stake the locknut. This is VERY important!

Install the springs and lifter plate. Remember, the screws get tightened to 108 inch pounds, not foot pounds. Tighten it evenly, in a criss-cross pattern.

P.S.This is a good time to clean the oil strainer screen. It is below the clutch. There is like a small rectangle opening, with a black bar across it, Grab the bar and slide it out. Spray the screen clean with carb cleaner and reinstall it.

There ya go.