PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal (trans)???

roughrider01
05-13-2004, 04:39 PM
I changed the engine oil first today, rode it for 5 minutes drained the oil, changed the filter and put new oil in. Started it up for alittle bit, shut it off then topped it off.

Then i go to change my trans. fluid, i thought i had the oil fill plug off but i realized soon that i didnt. Right as i got the trans drain plug unscrewed oil shot out all over me. It was like old faithful, it wouldve shot about a good 6ft if it wouldnt have hit me (its ok to laugh at this.. cuz i did.. lol). After i got it drained, i added new oil then started it up. I then turned it off and unscrewed the check level screw and it start hissing while i was screwing it out.

My question is, is it normal to have all this built up pressure in the transmission??? Isnt there some type of breather somewhere, just seemed alittle odd to me??

roughrider01
05-14-2004, 08:03 PM
Any thoughts anyone, just from the oil being warm wouldnt forced the oil out that hard. Is the breather for the tranny on the right side of the engine in front???

Next time someone checks there tranny oil, tell me if yours hisses when unscrewing the check level screw(after being warmed up).

All i know is that im buzzing from switching out the main jets, sniffed gas fumes for about an hour. :eek:

sparky450AR
05-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by roughrider01
Any thoughts anyone, just from the oil being warm wouldnt forced the oil out that hard. Is the breather for the tranny on the right side of the engine in front???

Next time someone checks there tranny oil, tell me if yours hisses when unscrewing the check level screw(after being warmed up).

All i know is that im buzzing from switching out the main jets, sniffed gas fumes for about an hour. :eek:

Lmao, i dont know a whole lot about breathers, but i do know there shouldnt be pressure build up....my dealer told me it would DRAIN, lol. Good luck.

400ex45
05-14-2004, 10:04 PM
i am not sure but it sounds like the breather is pluged and not leting any air out.

05-14-2004, 10:41 PM
mine dranied easily out..get that checked out

tkwarrior
05-14-2004, 11:43 PM
Maybe you overfilled the tranny?

I'm just guessing but mine shot a little out after I changed it the first time. But not anywhere near 6ft.

lukester720
05-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Remove the tranmission filling cap to release the pressure so the oil doesn't shoot out next time, it does seem like it would have some type of breather though. :confused:

roughrider01
05-15-2004, 04:37 PM
Yah ill be sure to take the filler cap off next time.. lol

No i didnt overfill it, barely any oil ran out of the check screw before i changed it.

This is the third time ive changed it, didnt shoot out before. I will check to see if somethings in the breather.

Ill let you know what i find out.

roughrider01
05-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Heres an update, lastnight i rode 100 yds down my rode and back and parked it after re-jetting. I just now went out to the garage and unscrewed the refill cap and it sounded like i just opened a can of pop, not good.

If this is right this could damn well be my problem. Do the breathers for the tranny and the crankcase intersect then run up into the airbox??? If they do, my air filter is pretty damn dirty (not horrible, but ya dirty). I dont think that tubes getting enough air. Im gonna go take that breather off the filter alittle bit then run it, see if that helps.

roughrider01
05-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Well i figured it out.. lol..

I found the vent hose for the tranny and traced the hose.

The other day i moved the clip on the needle in the carb, when i put it back together i mustve thought the vent (didnt know it was the tranny vent at the time) plugged into the top side of the carb on the front right. The vent ran right up to the carb so i thought that it plugged in there but i was wrong, where i plugged it into was a dead end, meaning the tranny vent was plugged. You will see what im talking about if you ever have to change the needle setting.

anyways im happy that i finally found out the problem rather than having to pay my dealer money for labor to figure it out..

FYI--- Today was the first time i drag raced another quad with my R. I raced a 440 ex with everything in it. The kid said he had 18,000$ into the quad, it had just about everything aftermarket on it and was dyno tuned.

His friend was on his quad first and asked me to race. The first race was on sand and i took him by about 4 bike lenghts. The second race was on grass, i dont think i couldve done a better holeshot. I mustve carried my front wheels about a foot off the ground for the first hundred feet, i love power wheelies. It wasnt the type of wheelie where i had to back off the gas, i beat him again.

The third race, i raced the owner of the quad, he was much more experienced then me racing. I wheelied it bad off the line and got beat by about 5 lengths. All of the drags were to 5th gear on a wide snowmobile trail.

I was pretty happywith the results since this was my first time ever racing the R. If i had more practice i know i would have much better results, the 450r straight up halls, i love it.