PDA

View Full Version : throttle cuts out now

WOracing
05-13-2004, 08:37 AM
I just took out my baffle to see what it would do, and i can tell a little better throttle response but when i go from idle to pin it, it will cut out. I know this is from taking out the baffle. Do i need to rejet or just play with the air screw? And if i do have to mess with the air screw then which way do i turn it and how far? Any info will be much appreciated
Kevin

roughrider01
05-13-2004, 09:45 AM
You need a bigger main jet, its cutting out because its not getting enough fuel now.

YFZ PILOT
05-13-2004, 10:25 AM
I would think since it's off idle that it would be the pilot jet. You will prob need to do the main also though. Take the airbox lid off also, no sence in opening up the exhaust if the intake can't get the air to it..

WOracing
05-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by roughrider01
You need a bigger main jet

Just because i took out the baffle? I was thinking i would just mess with the air screw and see what happens. I just need to know which way to turn it.

RedRacer44
05-13-2004, 01:09 PM
A few of my buddies that took out the baffles on their stock exhausts just bumped up their main jets to 180 or 185 and took the airbox lid off. Worked great for them till the get a full exhaust.

WOracing
05-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Im still wondering about the air screw though????:rolleyes:

Motoman440
05-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by WOracing
Im still wondering about the air screw though????:rolleyes:

HMF said the air/fuel mixture screw needs to be turned out 2 1/2 turns from the bottom if your quad requires re-jetting. Stock is 1 1/2. If you run and open airbox you should go to a 180 main and 2 1/2 turns out on the air/fuel mixture. Check out their website under "jets" or "jetting" and just follow their instructions. I run a closed airbox lid with a HMF full system. I went to a 125 main and 2 1/2 turns out on the air/fuel and my bike runs great. Be sure and check your plug though. Carbon means your running too rich and need air and very dry means your running too lean and need some fuel. Adjust accordingly.

roughrider01
05-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by WOracing
Just because i took out the baffle? I was thinking i would just mess with the air screw and see what happens. I just need to know which way to turn it.

The fuel screw only affects idle to 1/8th throttle, it will do nothing beyond that. That will need to be adjusted as well along with the main jet.

Screw it out to richen it.

BTW.. If your quad backfires right after heavy acceleration or doesnt seem to want to idle down after hard riding, richen the fuel screw more.

WOracing
05-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Now thats the help i needed....thanks guys:D

SSRedRider
05-13-2004, 03:32 PM
I took the baffle out of my Trx450r right before the Florida GNCC race. It didn't cut out and I have ran 6 races since and road it time and time again and the bike never cut out. I have not had to rejet. Are you sure there isn't another problem?

WOracing
05-13-2004, 04:48 PM
LOL stupid me....i had just realized that i was on reserve. I just filled it back up but i havent had the chance to ride yet. I am getting over a cold. So i might ride tomorrow and i will let you guys know if fuel was the problem. But i still have a gut feeling that it isnt getting enough fuel because my buddy took out the baffle on his yfz and its doing the same thing.

WOracing
05-13-2004, 05:53 PM
Wait 1/8 throttle.....so it only affects idle, wtf is up with that lol. I just dont get why i would have to rejet because of a baffle. I didnt have a problem with my ex when i took the baffle out. It ran fine and i could def tell a difference in acceleration. It pulled much harder to my surprise.

kssandduner
05-13-2004, 07:05 PM
First off, you can't even compare the 400ex motor to the 450R. Two totally different animals. When I got my 400ex the first thing i did was take out the baffle and remove the airbox lid. It ran fine like this till I finally got my LRD pipe and then rejetted. When I got my 450R I tried the same thing, removed the airbox lid and baffle, it wouldn't even ran past half throttle! So I put the airbox lid back on and tried it again. I thought it still cut out a little bit with the baffle out so I put the baffle back in mine. But now I have the HRC kit so i'm not worried about it. What does all this mean? The bike is lean from the factory. Are you going to blow it up by running it without the baffle? Doubtful. Even if it runs fine without the baffle and stock jetting, it will probably run better if you just rejet it. I really don't know why everyone gripes about changing out the main jet. It really is not that difficult. Just my opinion.

Joe

WOracing
05-13-2004, 07:43 PM
I never said it was difficult, i just think its a pain in the *** to keep messing with it if you dont get it right the first time. (this happened with the 400ex) Who knows.....i might just put it back in.......

roughrider01
05-13-2004, 07:47 PM
The reason why you feel a gain by removing the baffle and not rejetting is because its alittle on the lean side or it was running on the rich side before you took it off. If its cutting out on you, you are far to lean. Engines usually make the most power running a little on the lean side, not horribly lean but on the lean side. For reliability reasons i would not run that way, i always try to stay on the rich side if anything. Depending on your elevation and the temp./humidity you could be fine. Judging by how honda has them running on the lean side from factory i wouldnt do any mods to the engine without rejetting. Its up to you on what you wanna do, but i dont think you will gain much power by not rejetting. Quite a risk to take for a small improvement. I can tell when the temp is below 50 degrees here the jetting reccommendations for the HRC kit are alittle lean as well. I got a 190 main coming and will take off the airbox lid and i think it will be where it should be.

WOracing i got your msg just now on aol, if you have anymore questions just msg me, ill reply when i can.

WOracing
05-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by roughrider01
WOracing i got your msg just now on aol, if you have anymore questions just msg me, ill reply when i can.

ok man thanks:)

TRX450R2
05-14-2004, 01:35 PM
Is it running better yet:)

WOracing
05-14-2004, 01:40 PM
not sure...i am taking it to a local track today and i will post results tomorrow:)

mascman
05-14-2004, 03:48 PM
I removed my baffle and it ran fine...no re-jetting was necessary.
Was you quad completely warmed up when it was cutting out?

WOracing
05-14-2004, 03:51 PM
i think i am going to put the baffle back in.....i mean its not worth my trouble to rejet and not have a "big" power gain. And what kssandduner said about not comparing the two engines.....your right. I was thinking that taking out the baffle would give it that little extra snap like it did with the 400ex, but it didnt. In the end it just led to backfiring and cutting out. One of the other main reasons i wanted it out is because i thinks its to quiet...yes i know loud exhausts are annoying to people (especially where i live:rolleyes: ) but they will just have to get over it....because it is near summer and the 400ex will be out alot:D ...just to give my opinion on this though....if you want a cheap way to get power from and exhaust modification but dont want to spend the money on the shiny new pipe....stop being cheap and get the damn exhaust!!:D :devil:

WOracing
05-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by mascman
I removed my baffle and it ran fine...no re-jetting was necessary.
Was you quad completely warmed up when it was cutting out?

Maybe....this is kinda hard to tell because right after i took it out i took it around for a spin....and that is when it started to cut out. But then i was drag racing my freind sean and i didnt notice it anymore (at the time) I am kinda glad you posted that because you just made me think once again. Also i was on reserve...dunno if this matters much but...i will see

mascman
05-14-2004, 03:57 PM
I think we all stopped being cheap by buying this quad!:eek2:

WOracing
05-14-2004, 04:02 PM
lol

mascman
05-14-2004, 04:13 PM
I just happened to notice that the other day.

I had just installed my twist throttle and was wicking the throttle to see if it was working properly and I noticed it cutting out.

After it warms up, it will probably go away for you.

WOracing
05-15-2004, 09:17 AM
OK so this is what happened yesterday. I got to the track and i was doing the same thing i always do first....warm it up and then ride around for a little to see how its running. Then after i didnt notice it cutting out i was happy, but while i was out at the track when i would let off the gas for a corner it would backfire. I know this is normal for even a piped machine so im not worried. After taking a few laps on the track i could really get going! I was keeping up with my buddy on his yfz (he has been racing for 3 years) but i would always back off because the dust was a big problem yesterday. I almost flpiipe dit coming of a off camber jump......one side is way higher than the other, and i hit it like 10 times before that and didnt have a problem but that 1 time i guess i wasnt leaning or something and landed on my 2 left wheels Also i had a chance to ride the yfz again.....let me just say i will stick to my honda. I feel like im on a blaster compared to the 450r, Does it feel tiny to anyone else??? My freind that has the yfz also took out his baffle and he is having the same problem that i thought i was having. He rejetted cleaned the carb and air filter and changed the oil, but its is still running like that it used to. If anyone could give me info for him it would be greatly appreciated. He is not a member of exriders so he cant come on here and ask you guys. Over all my day at the track yesterday was a good time. I had alot of fun with the 450r and yfz lined up next to each other. I am going to have to say.....you cant say what machine is faster....it is all the rider!!!! RIDE HARD
Kevin

p.s. i got my suspension dialed in yesterday too!!!

WOracing
05-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Is there a chance that i could blow it up if i dont rejet?? I read that earlier and i was wondering ifi ts true.

sparky450AR
05-15-2004, 07:32 PM
how loud is it now?

WOracing
05-15-2004, 08:07 PM
Its louder but......i dont know, not really loud like a pipe but....you get it right lol