PDA

View Full Version : pep vs. axis

mxhonda86
05-12-2004, 08:08 PM
is there a big difference between pep and axis shocks. i no axis is the best but is there a big differnece. i just want to no how they compare thanks.

ghak99
05-12-2004, 08:40 PM
I have by far heard more people complain about their PEP shocks, than their axis shocks.

I would say if you are going to spend that much money why not go with axis.

05-12-2004, 09:42 PM
ive ridden both on identical bikes, actually on a couple diff set ups and there both great, axis is more a tuner shock and if not set up well wont work as good as a pep. peps have mroe of a multi valving then the axis.

either way ther eboth great

I have axis all around though and i think i will stick with em I mean penske racing makes the shocks. busch/nascar champions use there shocks and I love that.:devil:

04'400ex'er
05-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Axis, obviously will perform better than the PEP's, just because when it comes to shocks, you get what you pay for. If you are not a racer or a really good rider, you would probably not be able to tell much difference. Other shocks to look at are TCS and ELKA's. The elkas are closer in price to the AXIS, but the TCS compete with the PEP's.I am going to go with the TCS when i get ready to buy shocks simply because of price and I have herd good things about performance. If anyone has the TCS's on their bike, or has ridden one with them, please let us no about how you like them.

TC426EX
05-13-2004, 08:53 PM
You guys are NUTS. PEP's are definitely better than axis! I have owned both and can tell you that there is nothing better than PEP's. I havent heard many people at all complain about their pep's at the track. They definitely have the best valving that is for sure. I had pep's on my 265R and axis on my TC426ex, and after a month I sold the axis on ebay and went with the PEP's like I should have from the beginning. Do what you want, they are both top of the line, but most people I know who use PEP's swear by them. As far as the earlier post stating that PEP competes with TCS, thats not true at all. Id say that PEP, Elka and Axis are on one level, TCS are on the next level. and Works are on the last level. Thats my 2 cents but like I said, do what you want. AXIS is not "obviously" better like you stated though and thats a fact!!

Paul
TC426EX with everything...
check it out on douggust.com

Varmit57
05-13-2004, 09:07 PM
I've tried both and it will be a very long time before you see anything but PEP's on my Bikes!!!!

Sandsjbyz22
05-14-2004, 10:32 AM
I will only run Peps. I had a friend who oredered AXIS and rode on them for about three months then sold them to get PEPS. They were just uncomfortable for his riding style. As far as TCS my friend is selling his because the back keeps blowing out. Hes getting a stock one converted by Mark Baldwin now.

04'400ex'er
05-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by TC426EX
You guys are NUTS. PEP's are definitely better than axis! I have owned both and can tell you that there is nothing better than PEP's. I havent heard many people at all complain about their pep's at the track. They definitely have the best valving that is for sure. I had pep's on my 265R and axis on my TC426ex, and after a month I sold the axis on ebay and went with the PEP's like I should have from the beginning. Do what you want, they are both top of the line, but most people I know who use PEP's swear by them. As far as the earlier post stating that PEP competes with TCS, thats not true at all. Id say that PEP, Elka and Axis are on one level, TCS are on the next level. and Works are on the last level. Thats my 2 cents but like I said, do what you want. AXIS is not "obviously" better like you stated though and thats a fact!!

Paul
TC426EX with everything...
check it out on douggust.com

Prob the reason all your friends use peps are because they are a good shock at a good value but aren't near as expensive as axis. Axis are more for hardcore racers and not trail and recreational riding. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick pep couse im not good enough to notice the differense between the two.

TC426EX
05-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
Prob the reason all your friends use peps are because they are a good shock at a good value but aren't near as expensive as axis. Axis are more for hardcore racers and not trail and recreational riding. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick pep couse im not good enough to notice the differense between the two.

Dude, there is nothing RECREATIONAL about PEP shocks. Thats why the majority of pros all the way down to c class riders use them. The only people you really see running the axis at the nationals are the East Coast ATV and K+K guys with the exception of jeremiah jones. That is because just like duncan uses roll and elka, they use Axis and gibson. Everyone else who makes a decision for themselves (the majority anyway) use pep's. PEP's are not rec shocks in any respect, you have them confused with works. They are TOP OF THE LINE shocks and anyone will tell you that. The fact that the axis is a LITTLE more expensive (not much over a loaded set of ZPS's) means nothing as far as quality because they are both top tier shocks. Id like for you to give me ONE example of an advantage of running axis over PEP's is. What makes them better other than the extra hundred or two bucks youll spend?? I mean, who knows more about shocks out there than MARK BALDWIN and WAYNE MOORADIAN?!?! They are shock building legends. At least if you get PEP's you know that one of those 2 built them. The only downfall to PEP's is the ridiculous wait, but that can be alleviated somewhat by going through baldwin and not wayne since you can actually get ahold of mark.

-Paul
-TC426EX w/ everything
-check it out on douggust.com...

05-14-2004, 01:14 PM
99% of the time when people tell you they like one over the other and that they have tried them both, The one they like was just set up for them a little better!!!!!!! You spend a week teasting each one of them with some who know what they are doing and get each one dialed in perfect you are going to notice little to no difference in performance. So the big questions are which company will get you the shocks the quickest? Which would be most likely to send them to you set up perfectly (never will happen, but who will be the closest) which one are you going to get the highest percentage of you money back with when it come time to sell them??????

R3Concepts
05-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Im going to go with TC426 on this one, Wayne is a shock god. He knows more about suspenison then anyone in the buisness. Also to 04'400exer, you dont get out much do you? If you went to the track you would see that 80% of the pros still run PEP shocks and have for years. PEP ARCs are 1600 bux, so yes you do get what you pay for. When you order PEP shocks, be willing to answer an hours worth of questions about yourself and your bike, they are your shocks for your bike.

toomeyshee87
05-14-2004, 04:25 PM
what are PEP ARC's? ive got the ZPS for 900 bucks and i thought that was PEP's best shock???? please fill me in

04'400ex'er
05-14-2004, 04:44 PM
To TC426Ex,
Did I say PEP's were recreational? Everyone else dosent use PEP's, there are as many ELKA's out there as PEP's because those people make the decision for themselves. I dont have PEP's confused with Works, cause Works are in a completely lower class. One example of running AXIS over PEPS would be the customer service you get. It might not be as good as ELKA, but it's better than PEP.

To R3concepts,
One of the reasons all of the people at the tracks run PEPs like they do anr because they are the best value shock, like I stated in my first reply. And everyone but Works asks you questions about your riding types, weight, etc. Not just your PEP.

R3Concepts
05-14-2004, 05:55 PM
04'400exer I know that everyone ask you about weight and riding style but call up PEP and see what they want to know about you and your bike, they ask everything that could even possibly alter the performace or weight of your bike. The reason that PEP customer service isnt that great is because Wayne has to cater to the Pro ATVA nationals. Wayne gets paid big bucks to do suspension work at the track. Also you did say that PEP are recreational shocks and they are not, well maybe the race series shocks are but definetly not LM,ZPS or ARC. Another thing is whats the big hang up on PEP having "bad customer service"? If you dont know how to dial your shocks in you shouldnt have aftermarket shocks and second you shouldnt be riding. And finally there are more PEP shocks out on the track then ELKA will ever have out there, I think you have the 2 backwards, ELKA is the more rec. rider shock, unless you get Elites.

04'400ex'er
05-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
04'400exer I know that everyone ask you about weight and riding style but call up PEP and see what they want to know about you and your bike, they ask everything that could even possibly alter the performace or weight of your bike. The reason that PEP customer service isnt that great is because Wayne has to cater to the Pro ATVA nationals. Wayne gets paid big bucks to do suspension work at the track. Also you did say that PEP are recreational shocks and they are not, well maybe the race series shocks are but definetly not LM,ZPS or ARC. Another thing is whats the big hang up on PEP having "bad customer service"? If you dont know how to dial your shocks in you shouldnt have aftermarket shocks and second you shouldnt be riding. And finally there are more PEP shocks out on the track then ELKA will ever have out there, I think you have the 2 backwards, ELKA is the more rec. rider shock, unless you get Elites.

You need to leard to read. I never said PEPs were recreational. I said "axis are for more hardcore racers and not recreational riders". That dosent even contain anything about PEP. And did I say PEP had bad customer service? No. I said AXIS's was better. By that I mean if you need a part or a new shock, AXIS will have theirs there before PEP, simply because there are 2 ppl to valve them and set them.YOU have it backwards. All company's, or most (not AXIS) have different lines of shocks. PEP has ther rec. shocks as does ELKA. What is Doug Gust using?

TC426EX
05-14-2004, 07:23 PM
I agree with r3concepts426ex fully. You definitely implied that pep's were more rec shocks when you said that the axis ones were more for the serious racer. PEP INVENTED the dam ZPS system and makes the best shocks out. Elka has like 8 shock lines and only 2 of them are race worthy and PEP has ALL race ready shocks with the exception of their lowest "race" shocks. I have agreed with alot of the other posts you have put up but you are just simply DEAD WRONG on this issue. I hope more people chime in on this thread over time because I know what you will see is a legion of racers who will tell you the exact same thing that me and r3concepts are telling you. You obviously dont own a pair of shocks for your 400 yet so you cant be talking from personal experience. Here we have 2 of us that have USED both of them telling you the same thing. You cant argue to me about PEP customer service because ALL shock manufacturers have a big wait, just not as long as PEP because like I said earlier only 2 individuals in the entire nation build them and that is to ensure UNIFORM QUALITY of the product. Wayne knows what he is doing 150% when it comes to shocks and he bestowed his knowledge on arguably the best mechanic in the industry Mark Baldwin at Baldwin motorsports. Also, like I said earlier, Wayne may be REAL hard to get ahold of but if you go through Mark Baldwin you can ALWAYS get ahold of him at his shop number to check the status of your shocks, so I would say the customer service is excellent from that end. Like Ive said 100 times, both shocks are top of the line and you will get GREAT performance out of both, but you will have a hard time convincing people that axis is BETTER than PEP. You made PEP sound like it is UNDER axis and this is SIMPLY NOT THE CASE TO PEOPLE WHO RACE AND KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!!

-Paul
-TC426EX w/ everything
-check it out on douggust.com

04'400ex'er
05-14-2004, 07:41 PM
I agree with r3concepts426ex fully. You definitely implied that pep's were more rec shocks when you said that the axis ones were more for the serious racer. PEP INVENTED the dam ZPS system and makes the best shocks out. Elka has like 8 shock lines and only 2 of them are race worthy and PEP has ALL race ready shocks with the exception of their lowest "race" shocks. I have agreed with alot of the other posts you have put up but you are just simply DEAD WRONG on this issue. I hope more people chime in on this thread over time because I know what you will see is a legion of racers who will tell you the exact same thing that me and r3concepts are telling you. You obviously dont own a pair of shocks for your 400 yet so you cant be talking from personal experience. Here we have 2 of us that have USED both of them telling you the same thing. You cant argue to me about PEP customer service because ALL shock manufacturers have a big wait, just not as long as PEP because like I said earlier only 2 individuals in the entire nation build them and that is to ensure UNIFORM QUALITY of the product. Wayne knows what he is doing 150% when it comes to shocks and he bestowed his knowledge on arguably the best mechanic in the industry Mark Baldwin at Baldwin motorsports. Also, like I said earlier, Wayne may be REAL hard to get ahold of but if you go through Mark Baldwin you can ALWAYS get ahold of him at his shop number to check the status of your shocks, so I would say the customer service is excellent from that end. Like Ive said 100 times, both shocks are top of the line and you will get GREAT performance out of both, but you will have a hard time convincing people that axis is BETTER than PEP. You made PEP sound like it is UNDER axis and this is SIMPLY NOT THE CASE TO PEOPLE WHO RACE AND KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!!

-Paul
-TC426EX w/ everything
-check it out on douggust.com

So i guess PEP is the best in the world? HUH. Your opinion is that they are. Mine isnt. They are both great shocks and if I chose one, it would be PEP. I just cant agree with you that PEP is the best because I dont think it is better than custom axis. It might be so close that you cant tell the difference, but I dont agree that PEP's are better. The reason I might have sounded like PEPs were under axis was because pricewise, they are. Valuewise, They are way ahead to me. I also think it is wrong to say ELKAS are a rec. shock cause they are up there with axis and pep.:huh

R3Concepts
05-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Gust runs Elite quadrates..but Doug could blow us all away on a stock 400ex. Anyway my vote goes for the ole' PEP.

04'400ex'er
05-15-2004, 09:18 AM
My vote goes to PEPs to. Best value out there.

Greg Z
05-15-2004, 10:52 AM
woops double post.... but yeah I believe pep is better then AXIS if not there very close

nacs400ex
05-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
To TC426Ex,
Did I say PEP's were recreational? Everyone else dosent use PEP's, there are as many ELKA's out there as PEP's because those people make the decision for themselves. I dont have PEP's confused with Works, cause Works are in a completely lower class. One example of running AXIS over PEPS would be the customer service you get. It might not be as good as ELKA, but it's better than PEP.

To R3concepts,
One of the reasons all of the people at the tracks run PEPs like they do anr because they are the best value shock, like I stated in my first reply. And everyone but Works asks you questions about your riding types, weight, etc. Not just your PEP.

I see one problem with your posts, you are stating facts that you have read. NOTHING with personal experience. So until you own/ ride the manufacturers shocks dont say anything.

IMO Elka is the best company because they have excellent customer service (means a lot to me), their prices arent through the roof, their shocks perform just as well as axis or pep and you dont wait 6 months for a pair of shocks:rolleyes:

nacs400ex
05-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Elka has like 8 shock lines and only 2 of them are race worthy and PEP has ALL race ready shocks with the exception of their lowest "race" shocks.

Having different rated shocks means nothing. For example thats like saying corvettes are garbage because chevy makes sunfires, trackers, s10s. Same thing goes for Ford and Dodge.

The reason for this is to hit the market for EVERY quader not just the hardcore racer.

I agree PEP is an excellent shock, but to me I dont feel like waiting 6 months just for a shock that will handle a tad bit better. Plus when your waiting half a year for shocks they better be damn good.

Chanman420q
05-16-2004, 06:59 PM
ive only ridden works and peps, and the peps are mine` so i dont have to much feedback on the subject, but a properly setup shock is going to perform better than any shock no matter who makes it.

In the first page someone said something about axis and elkas, but from what ive read and dont quote me on this but i think pappy said he liked his STANDARD travel ELKAS over his LONG travel axis shocks. now thats just him. I personally think the axis shocks are over rated. and pep would just take the market away if they could get there shocks built and shipped out faster.

I wish i had the money for some PEP ARCs:devil:

toomeyshee87
05-16-2004, 10:09 PM
what are PEP ARCs???????:confused:

TC426EX
05-16-2004, 11:16 PM
they are the new bad *** ones with the huge rezzies and 8 click canister!!!!

xr50layke
05-17-2004, 11:31 AM
i havnt tried either shock but, look at what the racers use. its mostly pep.

dsracer666
05-17-2004, 02:56 PM
I run PEP ZEP shocks, and all I hear is people rave about elkas customer service! all that tells me is they can't set up there shock right the first time. who need tech suport on shocks, if you can't dail in your shocks your self you probabley shoulden't be racing.

Chanman420q
05-17-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by toomeyshee87
what are PEP ARCs???????:confused:

Long Travel, with Rebound and compression adjustments, 8 click rezzy. ooo :p

toomeyshee87
05-17-2004, 06:06 PM
ooooo ic, thanx guys!!!

nacs400ex
05-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by dsracer666
I run PEP ZEP shocks, and all I hear is people rave about elkas customer service! all that tells me is they can't set up there shock right the first time. who need tech suport on shocks, if you can't dail in your shocks your self you probabley shoulden't be racing.

Its not having to send them back, its just their service while your buying the shocks that counts. If you have questions they always have answers. Customer service has nothing to do with being a poor racer. But waiting 6 months must mean the company is TOP notch. :o

dsracer666
05-18-2004, 07:18 PM
I ordered my shocks for a new style a-arm and swing arm that they had never heard of, and they were good enought to call me many times untill they got in touch with me about the demension of the kit. I'm not happy about the wait but it was worth it. for me they had great service and the wait was 2 months!

05-18-2004, 07:18 PM
in my opinion Elka and Axis are the two best shocks out...they are very similar to each other and both do good in all conditions and rider levels...as for the PEP and TCS I would say both of them are still good...just they dont match the level of the axis or elka...the PEP is better then TCS for sure but TCS is a closer comparison to the PEP then the elka or axis...if your into racing and willing to throw out some bux...get the job done right the first time and get elka or axis...if u like racing but your not into it hardcore...go with pep or tcs...all 4 will still be better then stock...i chose the elkas and I will have to say...i am not disappointed at all :D :devil:

protraxrptr17
05-18-2004, 09:06 PM
I have Elka's and I do like them, but I can't say their customer service is perfect. They sent me 19" shocks first. Wrong. It took me two weeks, $100 worth of phone calls, $150 worth of express air shipping, and 3 e-mailed pictures to explain to them what a Pro-Trax front-end was. I told them what length I needed and they would not listen. They said that I needed 19" shocks. Then they said I needed stock length shocks. I told them to call Mark Laeger. They lied and said they called him when they did not. Then, after they finally did call him and got the whole thing staightened out they said they couldn't ship the new ones untill they got the wrong ones back in their hands. This was after they argued with me for two weeks. I shipped them next day air from south Arkansas to Canada, which cost me $150. I gave him the tracking number. Still not good enough. Then I had to get rude and tell him that if I didn't get my shocks by the weekend I was calling the CPSC. That finally worked. I like the shocks OK, but they're just too soft. Anyway, about Axis. I called the Axis guy during the arguing and asked him if he could build a set of shocks in two days. He says, "I can do it no problem". I ended up getting my Elkas, so I didn't get to try those. I would say through my experience Axis is better in customer service. I don't know about their product. My Elka guy was named Eric. Who is the best one to talk to? Should I be entitled to some sort of discount on a revalve? Also, my first set were quad rate 19". My new set were triple rate 17.75". The shorter triple rates are $100 cheaper aren't they? I paid $995. I should get some credit for that too IMO. Sorry to get off topic but it seems like some of you might know a better representative than Eric.

05-18-2004, 09:11 PM
ive dealt with them through pbs performance, nac's and str8 through elka...and i have to agree...there customer service was not good...but...there is 1 guy there that will fix it all the first time u speak to him...so now whenever i have anything to do with elka i ask for him...call elka and ask for Yin...he will fix you up the first time...nacs had trouble getting me my elka linkage and spring...they called elka 5 times and everytime they said you needed a brand new shock and a brand new spring and everything...i called Yin...told him to call nac's....and he got it all fixed up for me and i got the linkage and spring in 3 days :D :macho

TC426EX
05-18-2004, 09:24 PM
I am just wondering what is up with all you whackos comparing PEP to TCS. TCS is CLEARLY a lower budget shock by a long shot and they dont compare in performance. PEP, ELKA and AXIS are the top tier and of those 3 almost ANYONE you talk to will tell you PEP is the best. Every shock manufacturer has their faults as far as service, but I have NEVER heard anyone ***** about their PEP's once they got them. Bottom line, most PROS and RACERS around the country and world would tell you that PEP is the best.

protraxrptr17
05-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Thanks Honda Racer. I'll call him tomorrow and see what he says. TC426, we get it, you like PEP. I just don't want to pay $1200 to somebody that won't even answer the phone. I mean, get a secretary or something. I can't comment on their product, but I have heard they are excellent shocks. Customer service and word of mouth mean alot these days. So based on my opinion I would choose Axis over PEP.

Duncanracer
05-18-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
ive dealt with them through pbs performance, nac's and str8 through elka...and i have to agree...there customer service was not good...but...there is 1 guy there that will fix it all the first time u speak to him...so now whenever i have anything to do with elka i ask for him...call elka and ask for Yin...he will fix you up the first time...nacs had trouble getting me my elka linkage and spring...they called elka 5 times and everytime they said you needed a brand new shock and a brand new spring and everything...i called Yin...told him to call nac's....and he got it all fixed up for me and i got the linkage and spring in 3 days :D :macho

umm his name is yan....and u r right...

martin is a good guy tot alk to also, if u really wanna get the shocks set up good

bradley300
05-19-2004, 12:07 AM
imo, elkas are the best, thequadshop gets elkas in less than a week most of the time (lets see pep come close to that), they are the cheapest and only the most elite would be able to tell the difference.and look on pro row at the gncc's, apparntly pep still dosent have thier xc valving figured out yet, i dont think there are more than 2 sets of pep shocks on pro row, other than that, its almost even between elka and axis. peps are forever not an option for me b/c of the rediculous wait and the customer service horro stories (especially as of late) elka and axis seem extremely close to me, and the elkas are a few hundred cheaper, not to mention, the piggy back rez option. so for me, its elka all the way

R3Concepts
05-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Quit complaining about PEP customer service. PEP shocks are about as close as they come to being perfectly set up. And if you cant figure out how to set up shocks 1) get off your bike and 2) sell it right away. You should not be riding. Honda_Racer NEVER compare TCS and PEP again, I run TCS now due to sponsorship ties, but TCS dont hold a candle to PEP ZPS shocks. TCS are good shocks but not PEP good. Second, are you blind? You said PEP isnt a hardcore race shock? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, sorry let me read that again, yep thats what it says. PEP has 2 Pro class ATVA ready shocks, ZPS and ARC, whats not hardcore about the ATVA nationals? Bradley 300- The reason that PEP shocks take so long to get is because its Wayne and Mark that build them, Thats all. The other thing is that Wayne is at the beck and call of the pros at the nationals, if I were him I would be doing the same thing, these teams pay big money for him to come set up the shocks at the races. So PEP shocks are not going to take a week to get. Another thing is you honestly think Wayne doesnt know how to valve XC shocks? As for the ridiculuous wait, it helps to know people in the buisness, I can have ZPS or ARCs to my door 4 weeks from today, via DFR.

AFTERMARKET
05-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Keep your money in the U.S buy PEP. They are the best shock around.
Service is top notch

bradley300
05-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Quit complaining about PEP customer service. PEP shocks are about as close as they come to being perfectly set up. And if you cant figure out how to set up shocks 1) get off your bike and 2) sell it right away. You should not be riding. Honda_Racer NEVER compare TCS and PEP again, I run TCS now due to sponsorship ties, but TCS dont hold a candle to PEP ZPS shocks. TCS are good shocks but not PEP good. Second, are you blind? You said PEP isnt a hardcore race shock? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, sorry let me read that again, yep thats what it says. PEP has 2 Pro class ATVA ready shocks, ZPS and ARC, whats not hardcore about the ATVA nationals? Bradley 300- The reason that PEP shocks take so long to get is because its Wayne and Mark that build them, Thats all. The other thing is that Wayne is at the beck and call of the pros at the nationals, if I were him I would be doing the same thing, these teams pay big money for him to come set up the shocks at the races. So PEP shocks are not going to take a week to get. Another thing is you honestly think Wayne doesnt know how to valve XC shocks? As for the ridiculuous wait, it helps to know people in the buisness, I can have ZPS or ARCs to my door 4 weeks from today, via DFR.
i dont care who's building them, the problem is they still take too long to get, period. 4 weeks?lol, i'll have my elka in 3 days. someone tried to say that pepes are so great because all the pro's at the mx races use them, so i stated my point, there are very few pros the run them at the gncc's

05-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Honda_Racer NEVER compare TCS and PEP again, I run TCS now due to sponsorship ties, but TCS dont hold a candle to PEP ZPS shocks. TCS are good shocks but not PEP good.

whoa there buddy...u might wanna calm down a little bit before u burst a vien...the only reason i am compairing them is because TCS is closer to PEP then axis or elka...PEP is better then TCS but TCS is the closest to PEP...this is obviously a battle between XC racers and MX racers...and some people sponsored by elka and axis vs people sponsored by TCS or PEP...PEP does not make as good of a crosscountry valving as axis or elka...the reason the pros dont run them...PEP doesn't offer them good deals...plus they can get a shock setup better then PEP so y not do it and go with axis or elka...this is the reason...TCS are the step below excellent...you get up into elkas axis or PEP either way you get a great shock...either way you will like it...so lets stop the fighting here...PEP/axis/elka are very similar to each other...so similar that you could barely tell a difference if you road all 3 setup exactly the same...but then again like he said...who wants to wait 4 months for a shock when u can get elkas or axis in a matter of a week...but...if your a true racer and PEP is your brand then go for it...all of the 3 are great shocks...and if money is an issue...go with works or TCS...both are better then stock...TCS is better then works but still more pricey...I hope i settled this dispute...get what you want...they are so similar if u get them setup for you and the track you can tell little difference

Chanman420q
05-21-2004, 05:38 AM
honda racer i dont know how many times ur gunna say pep is in the league with elka. as far as MX goes, elka cant touch pep. how many pros have won nationals on elka shocks? how many of them even run elka? not many.. doug gust is the only one that comes to mind. As far as axis, i believe there in the same leage as pep, but there not as good and cost more. To me the 6 month wait is good, no i dont want to wait it, but it means people are willing to wait for a product that works good. Another thing i like is 2 people building shocks. So you know when u get your shocks there setup perfectly. There isnt 40 immagrants in a sweatshop putting shocks together. You know its done right. And if u order your peps in the winter, u can get them in less then 2 months, but if you order it right in the middle of the season, thats just plain dumb. Wayne is at nationals, and Mark is working with tim at his races. Elka is getting better and better, but they still havent reached where pep is. An i believe everyone else is going to aggree with me

05-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
honda racer i dont know how many times ur gunna say pep is in the league with elka. as far as MX goes, elka cant touch pep. how many pros have won nationals on elka shocks? how many of them even run elka? not many.. doug gust is the only one that comes to mind. As far as axis, i believe there in the same leage as pep, but there not as good and cost more. To me the 6 month wait is good, no i dont want to wait it, but it means people are willing to wait for a product that works good. Another thing i like is 2 people building shocks. So you know when u get your shocks there setup perfectly. There isnt 40 immagrants in a sweatshop putting shocks together. You know its done right. And if u order your peps in the winter, u can get them in less then 2 months, but if you order it right in the middle of the season, thats just plain dumb. Wayne is at nationals, and Mark is working with tim at his races. Elka is getting better and better, but they still havent reached where pep is. An i believe everyone else is going to aggree with me

i never said mx wize elka was better...but btw...gust is only the best mx racer there is...but hey i guess that doesnt count...and he has ran elka and won with them...:rolleyes: ...but ya i agree pep is better mx shock...way better mx shock....but for xc...they dont touch elka or axis

Chanman420q
05-21-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
i never said mx wize elka was better...but btw...gust is only the best mx racer there is...but hey i guess that doesnt count...and he has ran elka and won with them...:rolleyes: ...but ya i agree pep is better mx shock...way better mx shock....but for xc...they dont touch elka or axis

ill aggree with you on that, elka to me is a more prone XC shock. and if i raced XC id have a set of elkas on my quad and not pep zps.

but as far as gust, we dont know the entire story on why he runs elkas, hes fast enough to where it doesnt matter what he runs, the guy could smoke all of us with stock blaster suspention. You gotta remember hes getting a full sponcership from elka, whos to say if pep offored them a free set of ARCs he wouldnt snag them up.

Duncanracer
05-21-2004, 09:17 PM
ill aggree with you on that, elka to me is a more prone XC shock. and if i raced XC id have a set of elkas on my quad and not pep zps.

but as far as gust, we dont know the entire story on why he runs elkas, hes fast enough to where it doesnt matter what he runs, the guy could smoke all of us with stock blaster suspention. You gotta remember hes getting a full sponcership from elka, whos to say if pep offored them a free set of ARCs he wouldnt snag them up.

elka does a lot of testing with doug roll, which is why gusts,eichners etc.. stuff is set up so well....elka/roll is a good combo,

05-21-2004, 09:18 PM

ya i agree with him smoking neone with nething...and ya i would say elka is a pure enduro shock...or xc...axis is more of an all around...and pep is str8 moto cross...they all specialize at something

3rdtimescharm
05-21-2004, 09:37 PM
I see it like this. PeP does seem to be a better Mx shock than XC, probably due to the fact that they have guy at all the nationals tuning shocks, no one shows up to XC races for that.

PeP , Axis and Elka are about the same in my opinion. the wait, well if you dont like 3 to 6 months for axis or Pep, then get eLKA..

You can talk to a person that has had customer service problems from every shock company out there,, I am sure I could find them..

Pro riders are running whatever they get FREE for the best deals on.

Ohio R
05-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Why does everyone think that Mark Baldwin is the only one is his shop that builds PEPS? I have seen countless times,his employees building shocks. And I do have to admit, I like my elkas alot better than my peps, that "baldwin" built.

R3Concepts
05-24-2004, 02:01 AM
I dont think anyone actually said that Mark builds all the shocks himself, I think it was more along the lines of people saying Baldwin Motorsports, but after all Wayne did start PEP with Mark.

Mr_400Ex
05-24-2004, 03:02 PM
Your not going to find better valving than you get with peps...Wayne and mark do a great job. BUT if elka continues to improve as they have in the last 2 years they are going to be very close. When you sell the number of shocks that elka does you learn a LOT about your product.

Most of you don't relize that pep and works use a different type of valving then elka, axis, tcs. In fact in its foundation peps and works are the same shock. Now read this carefully....peps ARE A MUCH BETTER SHOCK THAN WORKS! They have much better components and are valved many times better. They also have a few bells and whistles that are not on works.

With this said the first ZPS shock were the works stadium series shock. This is the foundation the wayne used to make his zps shock (a much better shock). When i attended the first GNC at Macon GA. (2000 i think) pep was still ordering its bodies from works. They of course make their own now.

I could keep blabbing but i'll save it for later.

Nate

P.S. - if you have rode another manufaturers shocks that were not made for you and your quad...don't comment on how they ride. Riding your buddies quad that has elkas doesn't count. It wasn't valved for you. Also if you lied when you had your shocks ordered and said you were say...a "b" class rider when in fact you are a "c" class...well...your shocks are going to suck in your eyes because it WILL be valved way to stiff for you.