PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Ignition

keepitpinned
05-12-2004, 08:02 PM
I was looking into a lot of electrical performance parts for my 400ex. I was looking at the Dyna igniton, a rev limiter, and reciticer from Big gun.( think thats how you spell it). My neighbor recommended i shouldnt mess with the ignition cuz it will increase the burn temp. I wanted to get different opinions. What works and what doesnt work?

foleyit
05-12-2004, 11:08 PM
I don't know about the part from Big Gun that you mentioned. I have the Dynatek ignition and am happy with it. I recently fried mine so I am waiting for the replacement. It has 4 curve settings that you can use. The installation was very easy I think it only took me like 15-20 minutes. One of the things that is nice is that the rev limiter for this unit is set at 9600 rpms. I know that some people are looking for more RPMs out there.

The curve settings are below.

Curve setting #4: is the same as stock but enhanced due to aftermarket component of the ignition.

Curve setting #1 and #2: have more advanced than Curve 4 at low RPM, but have the same final advance at higher RPM.

Curve setting #3: is the same as Curve 4, but with one less degree of timing. With less advance, it is safer to run than the stock curve if you are having problems due to bad fuel, or engine knock.

cals400ex
05-13-2004, 12:08 AM
here is some info on the rectifiers:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=97858&highlight=rectifier

for the ignition, the burn should be cleaner. you may notice better throttle response and a better idle. i am looking into an aftermarket ignition too. i am wanting the adjustability. the dyna doesn't have as many curves to choose from as the msd. however, it is cheaper too. i am not sure what i recommend either.

04'400ex'er
05-13-2004, 02:24 PM
Would it be necissary to but a rev limiter on a stock 400, or a mildly modded one? What info. I have gained over the while is that the ex quits making power about 500 RPM's before the stock limiter hits.

keepitpinned
05-13-2004, 02:56 PM
with a aftermarket ignition is it hard to put in? will is make the quad unreliable? hard to start in winter? will it make you change to a colder plug

keepitpinned
05-13-2004, 06:06 PM
any help?

cals400ex
05-13-2004, 10:11 PM
i hear the tc and gt thunder boxes don't make the bike hard to start in winter, however i don't have experience with either one. i think the gt thunder box advances the timing so you can not run that with a sparks degree key. many of the others will make the bike hard to start in winter (sparks, white brothers, etc). i rather get a dyna or msd and get a little better idle and throttle response.

on a stock or mild bike, no it won't be helpful. yes, it is tougher on the bike revving it that high too.

TC426EX
05-14-2004, 09:19 AM
ANY High rev CDI will do A TON for a 400ex either stock or heavily built. The 400ex has a weak rev limiter that SERIOUSLY cuts the top end short. The thing you need to watch for with these "black box" style CDI's like the white brothers one is that they are basically just 250x ignition curves that make it VERY hard to start on a consistent basis. I would reccomend the TC racing box or a dyna box if you have the money, but its up to you. The rectifier that you are talking about from big gun doesnt do much for a stock motor or really much at all. All it does is use power to start the quad only and then it shuts it off to concentrate all the electrical current to making a better spark. I dont see a huge advantage to this and doubt it would make a noticeable difference at all. Dont get me wrong, the black boxes will do ALOT to help out your bike and you will instantly feel it, but you will tear your hair out trying to start it.

-Paul
-TC426EX w/ everything
-Check it out on douggust.com....

keepitpinned
05-15-2004, 01:49 PM
what ur saying is that if i get a msd igniton i wont have to worry about getting a differnet rev box because their already built in? do you really need all the features that the msd ignition gives? what does each do? where can i find the msd ignition, i dont see it on their site

cals400ex
05-15-2004, 05:38 PM
yes, the msd ignition is adjustable. you can choose from different rev limits and timing curves for the type of riding you do. there are also a few extra's with the msd ignition. you probably won't need all of this but with the better spark and smoother idle, i would like to try it out.

keepitpinned
05-16-2004, 05:16 PM
where can i find a msd ignition? i dont see them on their site. also is their any reviews out for them?

cals400ex
05-16-2004, 06:07 PM
check out some of these links here:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=591943&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

keepitpinned
05-16-2004, 07:52 PM
thanks cals400ex, im so retarded i didnt think of searching it myself. i am now set on just going with a ignition. but now i cant decide on dyna, msd, vortex! i guess ill juss have to pick 1 and see how it works

keepitpinned
05-16-2004, 08:21 PM
LOL....cals400ex we are both deff. in the same spot. i went into atv connection to search their and i found ur thread. im was actually going to post the same thread. i hope someone will answer it.

cals400ex
05-17-2004, 12:03 AM
yeah i do a little posting here and there. i do spend the majority of my bike here though. i dont' know if you found my post or not, but the vortex isn't out yet. i called duncan (works with vortex) and they said it is going to be delayed becasue of the new 450r and they are working on one for that bike instead of the 400ex. i have a feeling i will just go with the dyna but i don't know.

keepitpinned
05-17-2004, 01:46 PM
im pretty sure is was you. the title was like dyna vs msd vs vortex vs some other name. i thought the vortex was already out. i saw it here http://www.on-dunes.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=26

cals400ex
05-17-2004, 02:04 PM
well if the vortex is out now, it wasn't about 2 months ago. i contacted both vortex and duncan and neither knew for sure when it would be out for the 400ex.

cals400ex
05-17-2004, 02:09 PM
on the duncan website it says they should be avaliable for the 400ex in the winter of 2004

keepitpinned
05-17-2004, 02:30 PM
what is your opinion on the vortex? I like the msd, but like the idea of just picking differnet curves.

cals400ex
05-17-2004, 02:46 PM
i think you can just pick different curves with the msd and vortex. i believe both are right around $400 if i remember correctly. i would probably look at both again and see what offers more. also, i would try to get one that would offer a better warrenty. i have heard of some of these aftermarket ignitions pooping out over time. also, i am not a huge fan of msd quality but i know nothing about vortex. i may just get the dyna and save $100. i am mainly looking for better spark and cleaner starts which all will do. i have a feeling the msd and vortex may do more but i dont know if it will be worth the extra $100.

keepitpinned
05-17-2004, 03:46 PM
thanks cals400ex, what i think im going to do is just compare the price of each, with the options available for each, and the length of warranty of each.

cals400ex
05-18-2004, 12:33 AM
yeah, that sounds good. i guess it is just a process of elimination.

TORO1968
05-18-2004, 12:38 PM
I highly recommend the MSD ignition...it's definitely very tunable.

The main advantage the MSD ignition has over the Dyna and Vortex ignitions is that it comes with a new coil that has nearly double the stock voltage output. It also throws multiple sparks up to 3000 rpm, which aids in more complete combustion at lower engine speeds.

Plus, it has a two-step rev limiter which is sweet for drag racing! :D

cals400ex
05-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by TORO1968
I highly recommend the MSD ignition...it's definitely very tunable.

The main advantage the MSD ignition has over the Dyna and Vortex ignitions is that it comes with a new coil that has nearly double the stock voltage output. It also throws multiple sparks up to 3000 rpm, which aids in more complete combustion at lower engine speeds.

Plus, it has a two-step rev limiter which is sweet for drag racing! :D

whats the warrenty?

TORO1968
05-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Not sure off the top of my head...I'll have to check.

Keep in mind that the MSD ignition is not a direct plug-in...you have to cut into the factory wiring in several locations.

-Jordan

keepitpinned
05-18-2004, 04:20 PM
i think the dyna and vortex have a bigger voltage output. im scared to cut into my wiring:(

TORO1968
05-18-2004, 09:17 PM
The Dyna and Vortex CDIs still use the stock coil, so unless the stock CDI isn't sending full battery voltage to the coil, there's no way these ignitions can have a higher voltage spark output than stock...

keepitpinned
05-19-2004, 01:47 PM
F*** y did you tell me that. i wish it was the other way, so i wouldnt have to cutting into the harness a lot.:D

keepitpinned
05-19-2004, 01:53 PM
i think your right tho. im just goin to make sure an call them to see. if not msd here i come. also do you have any tips on installing the msd ignition? like best place to put it and any mistakes that you made? how do you change the power curves on the msd? is it hard? i wanted the vortex b/c it seems more user friendly , but if msd is better im going to get it.

keepitpinned
05-20-2004, 03:16 PM
TORO1968, can you help me?

TORO1968
05-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier...super busy day at work.

I purchased my MSD ignition from MPS racing for $391...excellent people to deal with, and also the only place I could find to order from that wasn't MSD's Factory Direct Performance division.

There's a pretty good description of the install in one of my previous threads...you should search for it! :D

For the most part, the install was easy, however, the instructions were a bit vauge in some areas, especially when it came to the coil and clutch switch. Also, installing the ignition box mounting plate as they said to do caused it to hit my seat latch. So, what I did was flip it over, eliminate one clamp, add some spacers, and voila...perfect fit. :)

The timing curve, holeshot rev limit, and regular rev limit are changed by a combination of 16 DIP switches on the bottom of the ignition box. The thing that sucks about this is that you have to unbolt it from the mounting plate to make any changes...hence the reason I'm going to mill a hole into my plate and add a access cover. The switches are very well protected though...

The wiring wasn't difficult to deal with, plus, it allows you to switch back to your stock ignition at any time. I still have plans to write a review/install article, but haven't even had time to think in the past month! :mad:

I am very happy with my ignition and would highly recommend it to anyone that has a decent amount of technical proficiency and can handle a semi-custom install.

Oh yeah, trying to push the spark plug boot onto the plug wire sucks big time...nothing like spending a half hour with your hands all cramped up, attempting to get the sucker on there! :macho :eek2:

Let me know if you have any other questions...and don't forget to check out my other thread. :)

-Jordan