PDA

View Full Version : Installing a new cam

quallerd
05-12-2004, 06:44 PM
How difficult is it to install a new cam and piston (sparks racing) in the 450? Would you recommend doing it yourself or having it done by the local Honda shop. I talked to the Honda shop here today and they told me it would take 6 hours at $75 dollars an hour to install the cam and high compression piston. That's $450 at a minimum. What special tools would you need to do it yourself? And, is there anything that you could easily screw up that would seriously damage the motor. Any tips/trick/hints will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!! Also, how good of a job does the service manual do with walking you through THE ENTIRE PROCESS? Thanks allot!!!!

2004TRX450R
05-13-2004, 01:45 AM
Well it really depends on you mechanical skill level. My first impression is if you have to ask this question then you should take it in to have it done. I would think 4 hours would be a more accurate time for a shop to charge. I know I could do it in less than that. Probably more like 2 hours if I was takeing my time. Get a factory service manual and it will walk you through it pretty well. The biggest thing you can screw up is the cam timeing wich could cause major engine failure due to valves and pistons comming into contact. Just make sure you pay attention to what the manual says and maybe read through the procedure a time or to BEFORE you put a wrench to the bike. Also make sure you pay attention to how the shims for valve adjustment come out. They are different sizes and as long as you get them back in the right spot your adjustment should be fine. If not you will need to adjust them wich requires you to remove the cam again. Also make sure you back off the cam chain tensioner BEFORE you reinstall it. Loosen the screw on the end of it BEFORE you remove the tensioner. Then you remove the screw and use a small flat blade screwdriver and turn it clockwise to retract the tensioner. If you screw it tight it will stay then just reverse it after you get it installed and it will spring back.

tkwarrior
05-13-2004, 07:28 AM
6 Hours??? My local dealer is charing people 3 hours to install the entire HRC kit.

05-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by tkwarrior
6 Hours??? My local dealer is charing people 3 hours to install the entire HRC kit. im pretty sure mine is doing 2 if you buy your 450r from them..i think its 3 if you didnt

kssandduner
05-13-2004, 07:16 PM
How much is everyone else paying for labor?? My dealership only charged $40 an hour to repair my little screw up with the shims.

Joe

2004TRX450R
05-14-2004, 01:20 AM
The dealer I work at charges $80 per hour. But we are located in a area that has money. Can you say Boeing and Microsoft? :D