PDA

View Full Version : Good tools

wantinga400ex
05-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Well, I'm about to have a couple projects starting and I want some good tools.

I have to pull the engine out of my truck, install a suspension lift kit, and fix/replace some body panels and other stuff.

What kind of tools do you guys reccommend? And what kind of stuff will come in handy? I'm good with tools, and working on stuff but I'm tired of breaking these cheap *** walmart tools breaking and stripping whatever i'm working

Anyway I was thinking about getting a nice Craftsman kit or possibly Snap on. Which would be cheaper, and better quality? If someone would shoot me links on decent size sets that would be sweet. Share your tool suggestions

AtvMxRider
05-12-2004, 05:50 PM
Go with Craftsman. Snap-on is nice but they are far too expensive for just the every day person. Besides Craftsman has a better warranty than Snap-on ;)

wantinga400ex
05-12-2004, 05:59 PM
I just went to snap on website and all i can say is :eek2: :eek2: waaaaaaaay to damn expensive.

Theres also a sears store right by me, and i heard if you break a tool, you can take it in and get a brand new one, no questions ask?

Ryan
05-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Go with Craftsman. Snap-on is nice but they are far too expensive for just the every day person. Besides Craftsman has a better warranty than Snap-on ;)

Yup, break a tool and get a replacement, no questions asked.

AtvMxRider
05-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
Yup, break a tool and get a replacement, no questions asked.

Break a snap-on and see how much chit they give you. Most of the time snap-on will replace it but you have to hear chit about it 1st.

2001400ex
05-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Cool Tools work preety good...:devil:

roostin_dale
05-12-2004, 07:27 PM
we buy all our tools from Sears....Craftsman:)

SnowFlake
05-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Get an SK tool set, they are very expensive but very nice

sickmojave
05-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Break a snap-on and see how much chit they give you. Most of the time snap-on will replace it but you have to hear chit about it 1st.

Been there and done that. :mad: I buy craftsman now.

450rboy
05-12-2004, 08:04 PM
well i would get any kind of tools that got a life time warrenty on them like craftsmen. i think i have token about anything apart with mine(crafsmen). but any tool with a life time warrenty will do. because then if any of them breck or bend. take that one back and a brand new one

turnandburn
05-12-2004, 08:32 PM
never had a problem getting my snap ons replaced or questions,sounds like you have a *****ty tool man!craftsman will do for what you need.

bulkdriverlp
05-12-2004, 08:48 PM
go with craftsman aka (crapman) since you have a store nearby and it will get replaced right away instead of flagging down a crabby snap-on driver. p.s. dont buy anything else from sears, just the handtools.:blah: ed

05-13-2004, 01:35 AM
Yall's a buncha dark-ages livin' mofos; ANYBODY will replace a broken hand tool now; Home Depot, Lowe's, Sears, K-Mart, WalMart, etc. As far as Snap-On goes, do you really get what you pay for? I've busted more than my fair share of Snap-Off stuff at work (they always replace em w/o trouble). I like Wright and Armstrong wrenches, just personal preference. Screwdrivers should be Klein, Craftsman makes a fine buncha socket sets. Never EVER buy a set of Craftsman files, they suck *****; Nicholson files are dope. Get the most you can for what you have to spend. Oh yeah, if you get lucky, sometimes you can find a Snap-On or Mac tools guy who'll trade tools for things like crack, meth, etc. Good luck.

RMX500
05-13-2004, 03:07 AM
i go with snap-on an mac.

MOFO
05-13-2004, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by the doo doo man
Yall's a buncha dark-ages livin' mofos; ANYBODY will replace a broken hand tool now; Home Depot, Lowe's, Sears, K-Mart, WalMart, etc. As far as Snap-On goes, do you really get what you pay for? I've busted more than my fair share of Snap-Off stuff at work (they always replace em w/o trouble). I like Wright and Armstrong wrenches, just personal preference. Screwdrivers should be Klein, Craftsman makes a fine buncha socket sets. Never EVER buy a set of Craftsman files, they suck *****; Nicholson files are dope. Get the most you can for what you have to spend. Oh yeah, if you get lucky, sometimes you can find a Snap-On or Mac tools guy who'll trade tools for things like crack, meth, etc. Good luck.

I agree. All of my personal tools are Craftsman..never had a problem with them....but most of my work tools are Klein...just got a large tool set for work...very nice tools!

redroost85
05-13-2004, 03:05 PM
yeah man, don't waste your time with 'strap-on' tools....too much money.

I got the Craftsman hand tools out the wazooo. If you want powers tools though, I would go with something else....for that I prefer Dewalt.:cool:

jb500ex
05-13-2004, 05:47 PM
thats funny redroost85, because dewalt makes alot of the craftsman power tools

redroost85
05-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Hmmm, interesting. I just use Dewalt because a construction buddy of mine gets me the tools cheap.

I learn something new everyday.:)

bulkdriverlp
05-13-2004, 09:05 PM
yea, that is true but dewalt is the top of the line product made by black and decker, bnd makes alot of tools for crapman. reasearch it , somebody might pimp me out but thats what i was told.ed

05-14-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by jb500ex
thats funny redroost85, because dewalt makes alot of the craftsman power tools

DeWalt makes exactly zero Craftsman power tools (at the moment) DeWalt is the "industrial" arm of the Black & Decker company, and imo, nobody makes a finer power tool; unless I'm wrong, the current "low bidder" for the Craftsman contract is none other than Ryobi. Check for yourself. Let me explain it like this:

SEARS SELLS EVERYTHING BUT PRODUCES NOTHING.

There.

Craftsman? Made by hand tool manufacturers throughout the US who operate under contract and license; their toolboxes are made side-by-side on the same line as Waterloo.

Kenmore? You name it. This name has been made for Sears under contracts with Maytag, Frigidaire (currently), Amana, etc.

Before you go gettin' all critical on my *****, allow me to explain that I am not doggin' this system. I own many Craftsman tools, and will probably buy more out of convenience. I own a Kenmore washer and dryer (will never purchase again, a washer's tub should NEVER EVER rust). This is however, the reality of the situation. Are there brands I prefer? Hells yeah. But like I say, there are times when covenience controls the purchase.
I'm 5000.......

Woodsrider
05-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Ive lost more flesh off of my knuckels from craftsman wrenches slipping than I care to remember. I buy Snap-On, and Matco. I wrench for a living and buy the best available. but for a cheap kit for the truck box and around the house I have a craftsman set. If I have to really work on a car at home I bring tools from work.

Craftsman tools are for fixing faucets and farting around the house. Not for making a living as a wrench;)

REC
05-14-2004, 09:09 AM
Dudes,

You are right about Snap-on being expensive, BUT their sockets and wrenches are the best in the business. I was a auto-dealership tech for 10 years and started out with craftsman tools but ended up buying Snap-on wrenches and sockets, & ratchets.

I have never broken a chrome Snap-on socket or wrench.

As far as the Snap-on dealers go, they all have different personalties just like us. Sometimes you get a easy person to deal with and sometimes you do not.

Once you use Snap-on you will not want anything else.

A good comparison would be RPM axles, expensive but worth every penny.

Just my 2 cents

Later:D

xr50layke
05-14-2004, 11:56 AM
dont buy cheap tools, ill tell you that, craftsman is the best, iv never had a tool break. iv broken 2 crap sockets in a row at justins.

ghak99
05-14-2004, 03:43 PM
If you have never broke a craftsman, then you don't wrench much. I live on a farm and wrench on something probably everyday of the week. We buy all craftsman simply because they are cheap and a local store is like 5 min. away. We also buy snap on and mac power air tools simply because they are better, faster, and more ft lbs. If you ever do start to have a craftsman tool start to wear out or give, in any way.....put it in the vice and hit it with a big ****ing hammer!...pow!...new tool!

If I were you I would buy craftsman since you are not depending on the tools to make you a living.

There is actually good craftsman deals on ebay every day!