PDA

View Full Version : 450R test ride impressions...

05-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Well today I finally got some free time to test ride the 450R. I only got to take it down the street that runs behind the Honda shop...I never got it off the pavement. My first impression power wise was...is this thing in second gear? First gear SUCKS! Once moving it felt pretty strong, but not as fast as I had expected. I realize you can do the cam/exhaust/sprocket mods and really wake it up, but for 6K+ I wanna be happy with the power level out of the box. I recently rode a buddy of mines 450 CRF motorcycle, and that thing rips! I realize it is alot lighter than the 4-wheeled version, and the motors arent identical, but the bike is so much more explosive. The 4-wheeler isnt near as impressive. Im not saying the quad isnt fast, but I was expecting more. To sum it up....for what I would use it for (woods/trail riding/camping) the 450R isnt for me. :)

sparky450AR
05-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by #420
Well today I finally got some free time to test ride the 450R. I only got to take it down the street that runs behind the Honda shop...I never got it off the pavement. My first impression power wise was...is this thing in second gear? First gear SUCKS! Once moving it felt pretty strong, but not as fast as I had expected. I realize you can do the cam/exhaust/sprocket mods and really wake it up, but for 6K+ I wanna be happy with the power level out of the box. I recently rode a buddy of mines 450 CRF motorcycle, and that thing rips! I realize it is alot lighter than the 4-wheeled version, and the motors arent identical, but the bike is so much more explosive. The 4-wheeler isnt near as impressive. Im not saying the quad isnt fast, but I was expecting more. To sum it up....for what I would use it for (woods/trail riding/camping) the 450R isnt for me. :)

Thats great to hear!

PEPwalshZ440
05-12-2004, 04:12 PM
put some 18" tires on the rear and that'll fix the problem
dur:confused:

05-12-2004, 04:44 PM
PEPwalshZ440...Read the last sentence of my first post. 18" tires are out of the question. :)

tkwarrior
05-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Putting a 13t front sprocket is close to the same as going 18' tires. Most people would go with that doing the same type of riding you do.

lilredridenwood
05-12-2004, 06:36 PM
:D I have a 13t sprocket and will ride the woods all day long with no problem!

WhiteZee
05-12-2004, 07:03 PM
i dont understand why people expect ANY quad to be perfect for them right out of the dealer, put a ****ing 13t on it and stop your *****ing.

sparky450AR
05-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
i dont understand why people expect ANY quad to be perfect for them right out of the dealer, put a ****ing 13t on it and stop your *****ing.

lmao....i agree with you though, it doesnt look like that 300 hes on is stock

05-12-2004, 07:52 PM
First off Im not *****ing. I am just giving my oponion based on the short test ride I had. I am not bashing the 450R at all. It is a decent quad out of the box. For what its worth, I also rode the YZF 450 today...I know this is gonna ruffle some feathers...But it had more nuts than the 450R did.

I am not asking any of you to agree with me on this....just giving my honest oponion. For the riding I do the 300 will be just fine. Its paid for and dependable. :D

Shawn H
05-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Well I agree with you on the first impression 1st is tall and I raced my 450r and hated it the 1st race and turned around and raced again the next weekend and loved it totally got used to the 1st gear.

I have since switched sprockets to a 13t and 39rear I really like it but may switch back.

4fiddyR
05-12-2004, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't pass any judgement on an ATV riding it on the road anyway.
I'd ride it off road where you can look at the total package. Not just getting from point A to point B fast as you can.
As far as the YFZ goes, it's an awsome bike but your posting in a Honda forum, and your trying to stir the pot. If you weren't you wouldn't bring things like that to the table.
Most people in here that own a 450R bought it because of the Honda name. That Yammy is fast out of the box, they did there homework, but it does have it's downfalls. As does the Honda, nothing is perfect, but I wouldn't pass judgement on either by riding it in a parking lot or down the street.

#1speedbump
05-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Glad to hear you didnt like it, that'll leave one more out there for those who want one. Im sure your 300 was Amazing when you test rode it. First gear sucks??? Is that because in 1st the 450 is damn near as fast as your 300. as for how fast it is 1st doesnt give you any idea, try ridin one in the trails, dunes anywhere. You'll end up runnin outta room before you realize it.

roughrider01
05-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Give em a break, a little one atleast..lol. Go buy the yamaha, have fun with there customer service.. thats what kept me from buying it last summer..

05-12-2004, 11:21 PM
snowgasm...Thanks for the constructive reply. Glad to see you are happy with your machine now.:)

4fiddyR.. I agree with you about not getting a feel for the quad based on the short test ride....on pavement to boot! You can only go so far on a test ride at the dealer though. I just didnt get that "wow...I gotta get me one of these!" feelings after the ride.
As far as the Yamaha and trying to "stir the pot" goes...I have ZERO intentions about buying one. I was just simply stating that the Yamaha is the faster of the two. Im a Honda guy all the way...I just wanted to see how the competition stacked up. Sorry if the truth hurts.:confused:

#1speedbump....this is the typical response I figured I would recieve. Thanks for the heads up on how fast my 4-wheeler is. For 6K I wanna get off that thing with a big grin...and I didnt.

roughrider01...Thanks for the constructive reply as well. Like I said, I am not looking to buy the Yamaha...just wanted to see what it offered.

29FTEX
05-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Every article I've read, the couple of drag races I've seen, and what I've been told from people I know, totally stock for stock, they are almost equal (within a bike length or so). So, the "feel" of more power is just that, a feeling. "It's got that 2 stroke hit to it" is another feeling you constantly hear about. Because the Honda's power delivery is so smooth, it's deceiving that you are actually moving as fast as you are.

Both are able to be upgraded. I just wish people wouldn't get so caught up in the "feel", and go with the actual. Either way, both are awesome. Enjoy whatever you decide to ride.

SCOOTER450R
05-13-2004, 10:51 AM
My first impression wasn't the best either...
A friend of mine wanted a 400ex really bad but couldn't get credit so I sold him mine.
I had read alot about the 450R and heard alot of crap about them even before I picked it up. The yamaha is faster unless you get the HRC kit, I had that installed. I heard they couldn't wheelie good that they just were too high geared. I never had a problem riding a wheelie other than my wife about killed me. We picked up the 450R together and it was 2wks before we had our baby, so I had to promise that I wouldn't ride it until the baby was born.
Well at the dealership I took it across the parking lot before loading it in the truck, and on the way back across the lot I pulled a big ol' wheelie and needless to say she wasn't happy, I had no helmet and was on pavement.

Anyays I really didn't like the 14t stock gear so I put a Sunstar 13t on and it was great until I took to the woods by our house.
It is a small place with alot of trees and tight turns and it seems like I wanted a little slower first. I put a Moose 12t on and I think it's great. My wife rides a 03' 300ex and it is really low geared and I think that the 450R w/ 12t feels close in first. Sprockets are cheap, 13t $20/12t $17 I don't know about you but I'm 6'3" and 220lbs and the 300ex is too small....

TRX450R2
05-13-2004, 11:50 AM
I have trail ridden and motocrossed mine stock gearing and engine and found no problems either way!

I'ts The Rider That Makes The Difference!

tkwarrior
05-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R2
I have trail ridden and motocrossed mine stock gearing and engine and found no problems either way!

I'ts The Rider That Makes The Difference!

I agree 100%. With the power being so close on these machines.

Manny55
05-13-2004, 03:22 PM
I rather you get the yfz so i can smoke you. Acutely the 450r is faster on top speed out of the dealership. You put a 13t front sprocket on it and it will be just as quick if not quicker. A 13t front sprocket only cost 10 bucks to.

05-13-2004, 05:02 PM
Manny55....Read my post again. "As far as the Yamaha and trying to "stir the pot" goes...I have ZERO intentions about buying one. I was just simply stating that the Yamaha is the faster of the two." I dont want the Yamaha or the 450R.

Most of you are missing the big picture. I realize you can do simple mods (sprocket/pipe/cam) but initally the quad didnt impress me. Thats what I am basing my impression off of.

It doesnt take much to anger you 450R owners!:D

Kennethyfz450
05-13-2004, 05:25 PM
dont anger me at all and i am a 450 owner...

i loved the honda it soft and smooth but its not my type of bike.. it would cost more money for me in the long run..

i loved my yfz yeah its not the quickest in stock form but a pipe/airfilter/jets, the thing really wakes up.. mine is still stock as of now..

with the honda i would have to bought a cam and a pipe...

with this one just adding the pipe adds a tons of power.. forget the cam mod.. i wouldnt do it unless you are in the dunes or something cause the one i rode was just to smooth didnt feel like it had a punch but he also told me that he didnt have the jetting spot on so that could have been the problem..

most of the reason why honda owners are little over the edge about these topics is because they dont want their 5,800.00 bikes to get laughed at or joked at and made fun of because the yamaha is faster and handles better, sits lower to the ground and still has more ground clearance in the rear.

and the only thing honda riders can say about the yamaha is leaks, and that little ruber thing.. .. .. :huh

anyhow no flame intended and if i made anyone mad just pm me and i will change my post but this is how i see the picture..

r450rr
05-13-2004, 05:36 PM
i am glad to see that everyone is saying the yfz is the quickest out of the box.. thats true,. but as far as the fastest in top speed the 450r has that out of the box.. but when u drop down to a 13 tooth .. i would say that there dead even on take off all the way through.. but i have to say the 450r has the topend part.. alot of people say that doesnt matter. but for me .all i do is drag race and ride trails. and i like what i bought. its all in what u like

manny 55 i agree totally with you

Shawn H
05-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Kennethyfz

OMG
you crack me up :rolleyes: If the only thing you think is wrong with the yfz is some leaks you better research a little more.

I'm not biased as you can see I own a Z also and like the Yfz just dont prefer 1 for my arsenal I have ridden many and like everything about them but cant get over the vibration in the bars and the bars are to low and the pegs are not low enough.

WOracing
05-13-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by snowgasm
Kennethyfz

OMG
you crack me up :rolleyes: If the only thing you think is wrong with the yfz is some leaks you better research a little more.

This is true...go take a look in the yfz forum and have a good laugh:D :p

Scottie Mac
05-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Geez, the guy comes on and gives his OPINION on a 450R and all you Honda guys start b1tcing and moaning. Neither 450s are perfect, by far, for every person. Test ride and pick the one that is best suited for your needs. Or, like this guy, don't buy either, thatis his choice.

And by the way, a paid for quad is always a plus, I hear ya!

Scott

05-13-2004, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the reply Scott...I hoped this thread wouldnt turn out the way it has, but you have to take the good with the bad. I am a Honda guy through and through. You couldnt have said it better...its just my OPONION! That doesnt mean people have to agree with it. Im just putting what I think out there. Thanks for respecting my choice and not pointing out the down falls of my current quad. Like you said...its a good feeling to know its paid for! :)

WOracing
05-13-2004, 07:47 PM
But you do have to admit.....the yfz does have many more problems than the 450r:D :p and this isnt my opinion

05-13-2004, 08:12 PM
my 450r sucks....a yfz i soooo much faster...wow, i shoulda bought the new 350 raptor

04trx450R
05-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Hey, all flaming aside,,,,,,,,ONly thing I wanna say is that every time someone else rides my 450, I have to tell them its ok to rev it,,,, I was also used to a "regular" 4 stroke whn I first got my 450, but you really do have to ride it a bit harder to feel its potential,,, yes it takes more clutch in the woods, but it s awesome,, take it and the yfz for another test ride,, truly rev them out,, it is awesome

Scottie Mac
05-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by WOracing
But you do have to admit.....the yfz does have many more problems than the 450r:D :p and this isnt my opinion

You really are an idiot. What possible bonus is a responce like that to this thread? EVERYONE here knows you have a love affair with your quad. That's great.

(Please excuse me Honda loyalists, this is just for WO)

But I would rather have to buy a 35 buck rectifier to fix my quad than a side case, or a new rear linkage, swingarm, etc just to make my quad handle like it should from the factory.

How does it feel to know you bought a Honda that doesn't handle as good as the quad it replaces?

(Scott steps off his soap box)

Where in the heck did he ever even mention the YFZ? Oh, thats right he didn't.

Grow up.

Scott

PS
#420, I hear you loud and clear. SOme people can't read what is right in front of them, bold print or not.

450r_rider
05-13-2004, 09:49 PM
I can understand you first impression about first gear. I guess with what you described as your test ride that about all you could sum up is acceleration. As stated before the acceleration is decieving because of the hit later on in first gear. It is a hit more two stroke like. I too ride more woods, trails and camping . Sometimes I hit the tracks too. I also found the 1st gear too tall for woods riding in a crowd. That is to say when riding bunched up in group of people you find yourself clutching more. However when I rode in a smaller crowd and riding aggresively the first gear wasnt a problem even in the woods. But since I do ride in the woods with a crowd of people ranging from beginners to advanced I found dropping the first gear a tooth to make it seamless. I put a flywheel weight on my CR to accomplish the same thing. It's just what you do to accomodate the different riding styles. Changing gearing isnt a major mod and is equivalent to grips or bars or anthing else to suit your riding style. Cheap and easy.
Bottom line you need to buy what you feel is the ride for you. Trust me though when you want to bust loose stock for stock your not going to get left behind on the 450r. At least I haven't, but I'm still waiting.:blah:

4fiddyR
05-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Truth doesn't hurt, :confused: ??? sorry it didn't WOW ya.
I guess your 300 did???:huh
I just don't know how a parking lot or street ride is gonna wow ya on an atv, any atv.

Kennethyfz450
05-14-2004, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by snowgasm
Kennethyfz

OMG

I'm not biased as you can see I own a Z also and like the Yfz just dont prefer 1 for my arsenal I have ridden many and like everything about them but cant get over the vibration in the bars and the bars are to low and the pegs are not low enough.

i had my yfz for around a month i have experienced zero problems. the battery is fine the shifting is fine the coolant is fine.. i dont know how all of those threads got started but i am sure some of it had to do with the person maintaining the machine.
the honda is perfect it would cost more to make it handle like the yfz and to make it faster..

the yfz comes out of the box quick. and with simple mods it will blow your hrc kit with pipe jets filter.

the only real major thing i dont like about my quad is when i come off somone elses and sit down on mine.. the seat hurts.:p but you learn to get used to it...

and for what i paid for mine, it doesnt really matter since most of you 450r guys are paying 500-800 more otd.

i love honda but honda sure didnt love me. because they would have made a quad that was better than the one that was already out. they most of thought all the honda riders would jump on the bandwagon to buy one of these.. but this honda rider was smart and changed brands.. i am tired of being slow in a straght line.

i hope you all get a honda450r so i can beat you

:D :D

05-14-2004, 05:54 AM
you mae it sound like you would be ALOT slower on a trx450r then your yfz...maybe you shouldnt be on a quad if another brand is going to make that much of a differnece when the four wheelers are almost identical

yellowrider
05-14-2004, 10:44 AM
i been good on all my quads besides my scrambler i was just learning and i turned it over often trying to climb regular hills with a few obstacles...

you are going to be faster on the yfz and r but you should be faster on the yfz becasue the lower center of gravity and better handling..

yellowrider
05-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
you mae it sound like you would be ALOT slower on a trx450r then your yfz...maybe you shouldnt be on a quad if another brand is going to make that much of a differnece when the four wheelers are almost identical

if that is how you feel thats fine.. but let me ask you something. when the raptor first came out i bet you didnt like it because it was tall and top heavy right.. but everyone else did because of the power right??? so you ended up getting your 400ex like me because of the lower ride height that gives you an edge over the raptor..

now the honda feels just like the raptor but since its a honda you had to go buy it. you just bought a updated z400 :eek2:

i bet you cant wait till next year to see those new bold graphics:D !

Shawn H
05-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Give me a break this is starting to sound like blue trax:rolleyes:

1= kenneth you had your yfz for a month give me a break thats probably barely broke in.
2= I have measured the yfz and the 450r and to say there is a big difference in seat height and center of gravity the seat is .6"taller and at the grab bar its maybe 3/4" taller that is not going to make that big a deal for 98%of the riders on these boards.
3= for me the 450r does have its bad things, to me the pegs are 2 high,the rear end sucks and the seat is hard too but that about sums it up.
4= No one ever said a 35 rectifier for the YFZ would totally cure the electrical problem?I would think yamaha would have all new rectifiers on there 04's if it was so simple.

I'm done and surely not going to get in a arguement with anybody but my Z450stroker had NO problems keeping up with a modded out yfz that knows how to be rode.

komatsu kid
05-14-2004, 12:07 PM
well said snowgasm,and yes that z450 was fast!!!

WOracing
05-14-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
You really are an idiot. What possible bonus is a responce like that to this thread? EVERYONE here knows you have a love affair with your quad. That's great.

(Please excuse me Honda loyalists, this is just for WO)

But I would rather have to buy a 35 buck rectifier to fix my quad than a side case, or a new rear linkage, swingarm, etc just to make my quad handle like it should from the factory.

How does it feel to know you bought a Honda that doesn't handle as good as the quad it replaces?

(Scott steps off his soap box)

Where in the heck did he ever even mention the YFZ? Oh, thats right he didn't.

Grow up.

Scott

PS
#420, I hear you loud and clear. SOme people can't read what is right in front of them, bold print or not.

:huh i said that sarcastically man.....didnt mean to start trouble with anyone, i just like to joke around. BTW i rode my buddies yfz even before i wrote that and i had alot of fun, and another thing...dont dont bash on me here because i never had a problem with anyone before on here and i would like to keep it that way...give me a IM and we will talk.

Thump_It
05-14-2004, 02:59 PM
I'm pretty sure that the 450R isn't said to be race ready right out of the box, Honda would be the first one to tell you this, the YFZ on the other is said to be race ready, that is why the price tag is a little bigger. But to make each quad really race ready, the need pipes, jets, filters cam modsj.........which would end up making them cost around the same if not the Honda cheaper. Honda is known for it's reliablity..........

Just ride what you want........talk with your bike not your mouth!!

PEPwalshZ440
05-14-2004, 03:21 PM
yea and the z400 was said to be almost race ready too...:rolleyes: once u mod either the 450R or the YFZ out for MX they are virtually the same quad and it just comes down to rider ability. Heck i know guys on a track that kick *** off the holeshot and then get passed by z400s cuz its a tight techincal track and its all rider skill and basically not too much motor.
Mike

most of the reason why honda owners are little over the edge about these topics is because they dont want their 5,800.00 bikes to get laughed at or joked at and made fun of because the yamaha is faster and handles better, sits lower to the ground and still has more ground clearance in the rear.
I guarntee you that my 450R will whoop the crap outta ur YFZ in speed and in handling and all around....stop starting crap in a honda forum

Dave400ex
05-14-2004, 03:30 PM
He rode a stock 450R, how many people keep their quads stock? Put the same mods on both a YFZ450 and 450R and they would be about the same. Serious racers will buy the linkages, rear shocks, etc for both...

05-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Serious racers will buy the linkages, rear shocks, etc for both... serious riders will also buy these...

Dave400ex
05-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Well yeah. I was just trying to make the point that stock quads usually do not meet everything a person wants, that's what the aftermarket is for.

WOracing
05-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Well yeah. I was just trying to make the point that stock quads usually do not meet everything a person wants, that's what the aftermarket is for.

I agree

WOracing
05-15-2004, 09:28 AM

I agree

Scottie Mac
05-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by PEPwalshZ440
yea and the z400 was said to be almost race ready too...:rolleyes: once u mod either the 450R or the YFZ out for MX they are virtually the same quad and it just comes down to rider ability. Heck i know guys on a track that kick *** off the holeshot and then get passed by z400s cuz its a tight techincal track and its all rider skill and basically not too much motor.
Mike

I guarntee you that my 450R will whoop the crap outta ur YFZ in speed and in handling and all around....stop starting crap in a honda forum

Sorry, but you are going to have to back that one up. I never say I can outride or beat anyone in a drag, because there is always someone faster, better. I am a pretty decent rider, one of the best in my region. Can you guarantee that your 450R can outhandle and outrun mine? You don't know me from adam or my bike. But, seeing that I have the same quad as one of my pro friends, I fail to see how yours will automatically be better than mine, or visca versa.

I do agree that racing is all rider, especially after the first turn. I have seen guys on 400exs take it to guys on 450Rs and YFZs.

Someone said it best earlier, talk with you machine, not with your mouth, I think we could ALL (me included) use this advice.

Scott

WOracing
05-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
Sorry, but you are going to have to back that one up. I never say I can outride or beat anyone in a drag, because there is always someone faster, better. I am a pretty decent rider, one of the best in my region. Can you guarantee that your 450R can outhandle and outrun mine? You don't know me from adam or my bike. But, seeing that I have the same quad as one of my pro friends, I fail to see how yours will automatically be better than mine, or visca versa.

I do agree that racing is all rider, especially after the first turn. I have seen guys on 400exs take it to guys on 450Rs and YFZs.

Someone said it best earlier, talk with you machine, not with your mouth, I think we could ALL (me included) use this advice.

Scott

This is exactly what this thread needed...thanks Scott

dreth
05-17-2004, 07:13 AM
mine was a b-day present from my wife . i had a 400ex . at first i hated 1st gear and was unhappy. now that im used 2 it it is why i ride only HONDA

dreth
05-17-2004, 07:14 AM
mine was a b-day present from my wife . i had a 400ex . at first i hated 1st gear and was unhappy. now that im used 2 it it is why i ride only HONDA

TRX450R2
05-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Definitely the rider, it comes down to!
I raced motocross against all the other brands last weekend and got the holeshot and led the first lap by 6-7 bike lengths until I starting getting tired cos I'm not "Ride Fit" yet! By the third lap a younger fitter guy on a Ltz passed me and then I had to dice with a Yfz and another Ltz and just held them off for second place but another lap would have let them past as well!
The honda is fast but you have to be a good rider as well!!!!!

Scottie Mac
05-20-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R2
I'm not "Ride Fit" yet! !!!!!

loo, been there, done that.

Scott