PDA

View Full Version : are raptors really that tippsy

ExVillin400
03-19-2002, 04:59 PM
i read in mags and i sometimes hear that a stock raptor is tippsy. could be true but is it, and how are they at hill climbin.

MadcapEX
03-19-2002, 05:04 PM
They FEEL tipsier than they are,but they could surely use wider a- frames and axle .

03-19-2002, 05:30 PM
They are made that way on purpose. Raptors are meant to be ridden like a dirt bike....

03-19-2002, 07:23 PM
Crashmaster99

Could you define your statement? I've only been riding for about 5 years and I don't know how to ride a Quad like a dirt bike. How would a bike that some claim are tippy be a good thing? If you use body english, Yes that is like a bike but that's about all....

Smitty

03-20-2002, 09:06 AM
I didn't say it was a good idea, but yes....you know what I mean.

You don't shift you weight on a raptor like you do a regular quad. You slam them into a corner, "like a dirtbike".

WyoDuner
03-20-2002, 03:30 PM
Ohh, I get it you are talking about it being TIPPY not TIPSY. I thought maybe the Raptor was a little drunk.

Sorry, couldn't resist a bad joke.

4punksdad
03-20-2002, 07:17 PM
they feel stable to me.......but my buddy just had to install new bars on his. seems as if he let a friend take it for a spin & the friend flipped it by going too fast in reverse & turning the bars too quick! true story.

Nausty
03-20-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by crashmaster99
They are made that way on purpose. Raptors are meant to be ridden like a dirt bike....

Yeah:rolleyes: How are you gonna get the quad to lean into the turn like a dirt bike you know like on flat corners how dirt bikers get the handle bars a foot and half above the ground.
I ride both dirt bikes and quads and it is WAY differant and I have A LOT of experience on both. The riding styles are way differant like on a four wheeler taking a flat turn or just about any turn you move your whole body side ways over the quad and lean very little or the sides of the tread will bite in to the ground making it want to tip so that basicly you wanna go into a tail slide and as you gain traction you get as low and as far back as possible and on a dirt bike you don't move at all really sideways over the bike but you stay parallel with the bike more and you lean more and use your upper body and if you wanna lose the rear end you would move a lil bit forward on the seat and try to get the weight on the front tire and a real low center of gravity. Hard to explain but all in all you really can't ride a quad like you can a dirt bike and you can't ride a dirt bike like you can on a quad.

ChadEXer
03-21-2002, 08:58 AM
Im kinda having trouble seeing how you ride a Craptor like a dirtbike too:confused: I would think if you try to SLAM it in a corner it will probably SLAM you in the corner:D

03-21-2002, 03:59 PM
Okay kids, remind me not to provide any more insight.
You guys are so touchy, it's just a quad, you know...to have fun on.

velociraptor
03-22-2002, 07:55 AM
690 ex eater here any takers?:devil

ChadEXer
03-22-2002, 08:04 AM
Ima taker:D I already know the 505 will spank a 680 Craptor so I would like to see a 690 Craptor too. Tom Carlson is one of the best enging builders in the world says the only bike that will beat it is a 725 Raptor and I believe what he says. And thats on of HIS 725 Raptors:D

03-22-2002, 02:43 PM
CahdEXer are we ever gonna see this 505ex????? i want some pics whn u get it

ChadEXer
03-22-2002, 06:19 PM
When i get my motor back from Tom and get it back together ill give you all some pics. I called Tom today and he said it will be about 4-5 more weeks. its gonna be SWEET:D

Chef
03-22-2002, 06:29 PM
I'll be a taker right along with ya chad! By the time you get your bike dialed in perfect, I will have turned mine into an alky 505..or bigger, and like 14:1 compression!

03-22-2002, 06:41 PM
i can't wait to see them, tommorow i will know if i am getting a ds650, the auction ends tommorow, so i just have to wait lol, if i don't get it, 400ex will be on its way.

dabombdale
04-30-2002, 04:50 PM
so on a raptor would you stick your foot out in a corner like on dirt biking on sharp turns?

05-02-2002, 02:24 PM
I'm buying a raptor in the next 2 weeks and I wanted to know how much would it cost to bore out to a 725? And where I can buy this kit?

05-03-2002, 05:34 PM
you dont put your leg out to turn unless you want a tree to rip it off:blah

the raptor is not ment to ride like a bike!! it is narrow in an attempt to make handle like a ex in tight woods. it is also taller than an ex because the had to stuff a larger motor under the seat. this creates a slightly higher center of gravity. this results in more of a tippiness in turns.you have to compensate for this by leaning extra compared to lower or wider bikes. didn't anyone pay attention in physics class??????:p :rolleyes:

dabombdale
05-03-2002, 05:38 PM
i was just kiddin about the foot thing, but that would be funny seeing someone ride like that.

05-03-2002, 05:49 PM
exvillan they will climb like an ape

here is one of the bunny slopes at the badland off road park. the big hill pics were to blurry. the raptor easily climbed them all. i wet my banshee seat just watchin:D (just kiddin i waited till i was near an ex)

i

ATV_MAN
05-04-2002, 04:50 PM
Yes the raptors are very tippy in corners and it feels like your riding a giraffe when your riding one because they set so high. It will fell like you are going to tip easier in the corners more than you actually are. But you can get used to it like I did on my brothers and they are fun. Also they have all kinds of climbing power and they can climb all kinds of stuff

12-22-2002, 09:42 PM
could a 400ex with:
cam
pipe
filter
rev box
removed rev limiter
carb
11:1 wiseco piston
with high comp rings and gaskets
porting

make it up that hill?

Derek
12-22-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by WOT400ex
could a 400ex with:
cam
pipe
filter
rev box
removed rev limiter
carb
11:1 wiseco piston
with high comp rings and gaskets
porting

make it up that hill?

with the right rider a stock 400 could make it up that hill.

bradley300
12-23-2002, 08:46 AM
ssd suspension and slightly wider a-arms will cure the tippyness thing. talk to marty at the quadshop, his crapturd was pretty nice.

theres still the weight thing tough, just ask popo about that

KrazyKid300ex
12-23-2002, 11:49 AM
dude with my 300 i'd go up that hill and it only has a k and n. maybe i would throw the 20's on for more wheel spin as i go up.

02exchic
12-23-2002, 01:26 PM
Raptors are definitely more tipsy than the 400's but it's not really that bad, you just have to be aware of it. Most of the people I have seen crash them are inexperienced and doing something stupid that would cause them to crash no matter what they were riding.
My husband rides one and loves it! The extended a-arms and shocks are definitely on the list of upgrades though!
I get on it to every once in awhile. They are great bikes. But I have to say that I will remain faithful to ol'yeller! :p

raptor_02
12-23-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
they feel stable to me.......but my buddy just had to install new bars on his. seems as if he let a friend take it for a spin & the friend flipped it by going too fast in reverse & turning the bars too quick! true story. I believe u because i have did that on my bro's raptor, those things will do 20 mph in reverse

raptor_02
12-23-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
Im kinda having trouble seeing how you ride a Craptor like a dirtbike too:confused: I would think if you try to SLAM it in a corner it will probably SLAM you in the corner:D crash master does know what he's talkin about. A raptor is designed to go hard into the turns and excel hard out. YOu can't whip them around like you can a honda but basically to be fast on a raptor you have to go harder into turns than a normal person would and come out harder on the gas. Basically you stay on the gas longer and brake later. Then once you get it pointing where you want it to go get on the gas. It's really a bad design but I think that's what crashmaster is talkin about.

EricB
12-24-2002, 05:00 PM
hehe ussaly the only kinda hills you can't make up on a stocker is sand, snow and anything else sloppy and nasty. because you have to keep the wheel spin up to try and get to the bottom, or in the case of sand stay on top. but i've done a lot of crazy hill climbs on my stock ex. it's all about knowing how to aproach the obsticle with the provided equipment, and knowing the limitations of your ride. like lots of people have said 90% rider 10% bike. i have beat lots of 125s for a while in drag races. untill they hit about 3rd i think they walk from me. but thats just typical 2smoke top end.

eldoexrider01
12-24-2002, 09:27 PM
ive heard the rake of the fenders gives the impression of a higher feel. even thou it "IS" higher than an ex and most of the handling depends on the rider, which is jus as much mental as physical. so it might give way to wanting to believe it is tipsy. if height is a problem then take the seat off and duct tape a towel to ur raptor, talk about lower seat height:D ya im from arkansas chuckle chuckle!:rolleyes:

wheeltrax
12-24-2002, 11:01 PM
they feel stable to me.......but my buddy just had to install new bars on his. seems as if he let a friend take it for a spin & the friend flipped it by going too fast in reverse & turning the bars too quick! true story.

lol.. i recently did the same thing with my friends z400. I was doing a donut in reverse and it kinda tipped on me. It didnt do nothin to me or the machine.. gave everyone a good laugh

12-24-2002, 11:19 PM
i was just kiddin about the foot thing, but that would be funny seeing someone ride like that. Sorry too late I dont do that anymore :)

When I first got into quads I was still thinking I was on a two wheeler and tried more than once to get a foot down in a turn, but you learn that lesson mighty fast. Good thing nothing ever broke but now with the EX and graydon nerfs I could do it if I wanted.

AS for the raptors being tall and top heavy yep its true but just not as much as many seem to think. I have spent some time on them and its a bunch of things from the height to the suspension to the motor that add up to the prob. but they are much easier or faster with the wider axle and a arms.

I also think there must be a reason we dont see more at the races cause these are pretty fast machines and you just dont see many.

phatswinn
12-29-2002, 04:59 PM
i ride hills like that in the adorondacs, they scare the p!ss outta ya the first time up but there fun the rest of the time, just do not stop

suzuki Z400
12-29-2002, 06:15 PM

Haha, that happend to me and a couple of friends flying down a hill backwards on a recon. the bars got the worst of it.