PDA

View Full Version : sparks x-6 exhaust

seven
05-12-2004, 01:04 PM
I got my Sparks x-6 exhaust today and got it on. Fit and finish were top notch. Looks like a lot more flow then my big gun. I took it down the road and imediatly noticed some of my bottom end gone. I havent got any real ride time on it yet so I guess Ill see if I like it tonight. Its quiter then my shorty big gun though so thats a good thing.

WKY400EX
05-12-2004, 01:45 PM
I had the Sparks X-6 on my EX, and it was amazing. Very well built and performed like no other. Take time and get the jetting dialed in just right, and you will be amazed! Congrats on your purchase. You won't be sorry.;)

seven
05-12-2004, 09:03 PM
I just got back from riding and I think I am 1 size fat on the main. It seems to pull well from high mid to top but it doesnt have a very hard hit in the bottom to mid. So far I think I actually like my big gun better but we will see.

cals400ex
05-13-2004, 12:15 AM
did you get ceramic or stainless? i agree, i was actually expecting more power out of mine too.

seven
05-13-2004, 04:47 PM
Well I did a plug check and it was light tan to white. So I bumped up the main to a 178. It seemed to help out just going down the road.

seven
05-13-2004, 04:55 PM
What main are you running? I am at 2500ft. I ran a 175 with my big gun and was wondering if you went up or down when you changed pipes.

cals400ex
05-13-2004, 10:14 PM
oh heck, i would go down on the main. what compression 426 you running? air box lid on or off? stock carb?

seven
05-14-2004, 05:48 AM
I have no air bx lid, K&N filter,no choke. I went and looked at my plug yesterday. It was Completely dry and white. I put a 178 in and took it down the road. It was way better. So I was going to throw a 180 in and leave it at that. They didnt have a 180 so I put a 185 in. I took it down the road and wow! It really woke up.It will stand up no problem just giving it gas. So I think I was just way lean. I am going to take it out tonight and ride it for a while.

TC426EX
05-14-2004, 08:56 AM
The sparks X-6 exhaust is unmatched for the 400. I am running one on my fully built TC 426 motor and it freakin hauls!!! When I had my stock carb with the choke removed I was running a 185 so you are right on the money there. The 192 will be a tad too rich I would say, but it depends on your location. About your bottm end concerns, keep in mind that the X-6 is a mid-top pipe, that is why it has such a big header. The X-4 provides slightly better bottom while the X-6 is better for top. You will end up trading a little bottom for the X-6 but the 400 has gobs of it anyway to lose so no big deal to me. Overall that is the best pipe around no questions asked and you will be satisfied no doubt. That pipe begs to be pushed harder so it needs to be ridden full out all the time!! When in doubt just GAS IT!!!!

Paul
-TC426EX w/ everything
-Check it out on douggust.com

04'400ex'er
05-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
The sparks X-6 exhaust is unmatched for the 400. I am running one on my fully built TC 426 motor and it freakin hauls!!! When I had my stock carb with the choke removed I was running a 185 so you are right on the money there. The 192 will be a tad too rich I would say, but it depends on your location. About your bottm end concerns, keep in mind that the X-6 is a mid-top pipe, that is why it has such a big header. The X-4 provides slightly better bottom while the X-6 is better for top. You will end up trading a little bottom for the X-6 but the 400 has gobs of it anyway to lose so no big deal to me. Overall that is the best pipe around no questions asked and you will be satisfied no doubt. That pipe begs to be pushed harder so it needs to be ridden full out all the time!! When in doubt just GAS IT!!!!

Paul
-TC426EX w/ everything
-Check it out on douggust.com

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sound is a big issue with me so i am thinking about fabricating a S/A and some type of quiet core for it.

300exOH
05-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sound is a big issue with me so i am thinking about fabricating a S/A and some type of quiet core for it.

I believe Sparks offers a spark arrestor for the X6. I got one with my X4 on my 300. It's still a little loud. Not like my old POS cobra though.

cals400ex
05-14-2004, 03:36 PM
i say that is too big of a mainjet. you need to race some other bikes side by side to see if your actually gaining speed by going larger. i have a feeling your not. i would try a 165-168 and your speed in the upper gears should increase.

seven
05-14-2004, 04:10 PM
I am going to play with the jetting tomorow. SO far it seems to run really well on the 185 but I really dont have any seat time.

Giz400ex
05-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by seven
So far I think I actually like my big gun better but we will see. [/B] I liked my LRD better, sold the Sparks and got the newer version of the LRD and its like night and day between the 2 (lrd-sparks). I wasn't at all impressed with the Sparks and I also lost bottom-end. I wanted something all-around and the LRD had it.