PDA

View Full Version : How much paddle tires weigh.

300extasy
05-12-2004, 12:08 PM
I have been reading different posts on different paddles with concerns about molded or glued paddles, and weight. I just got brand new sand sharks and my understanding is that they are heavy. I weighed them and they are 16lbs. each, mounted on Douglas black labels (.160"). They are the 20x11x8 size. Is this a lot? How much do others weigh?

Silverfox@C&DRacing
05-12-2004, 12:33 PM
you made a ggod choice I have the same tires they hook up well and last a long time, as for the weight of others I am not sure on that but the haulers are lighter than the sand sharks.

04'400ex'er
05-12-2004, 03:19 PM
I have understood that the sand sharks are heavy sand skate II's. I am pretty sure that is accurate. They are heavyer than sand stars too. That really dosent matter though if you dont jump. They are good tires though.

JOEX
05-12-2004, 09:49 PM
I just wieghed my Hauler 20x10x10 8 paddle on Douglas .125 rims, about 13.5# using a cheap bathroom scale.

batgeek
05-12-2004, 09:53 PM
hehe, i know that method!

jump on scale...record reading.

grab your wheel, jump on scale...record reading.

subtract first reading from second reading...TAAA DAAA! :cool:

JOEX
05-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by batgeek

When you're holding both tires you will need to divide the final number by two:o :devil: :blah:

04'400ex'er
05-13-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by batgeek

Why not just set the wheel on the scale?

Cripple
05-14-2004, 12:03 AM
wieght makes a big difference, not for jumping, but because less wieght is a lot easier to spin, if your going to spent $$ on paddle tires you might as well get haulers, edges, sand skate Is or IIs. the paddle angles on other paddles arent as aggressive and they dont last as long because they are made of much cheaper, heavier, and poorer quality rubber. Skat trak, and Sand tires unlimited paddles are more expensive but are well worth it in every way

QuadJunkies
05-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
I just wieghed my Hauler 20x10x10 8 paddle on Douglas .125 rims, about 13.5# using a cheap bathroom scale. thats pretty darn close!!!!;)
12.5-13 lbs is about right is what RMATV quoted us..Also, the Turbo Paddles weighs roughly that as well(13lb)

04'400ex'er
05-14-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Cripple
wieght makes a big difference, not for jumping, but because less wieght is a lot easier to spin, if your going to spent $$ on paddle tires you might as well get haulers, edges, sand skate Is or IIs. the paddle angles on other paddles arent as aggressive and they dont last as long because they are made of much cheaper, heavier, and poorer quality rubber. Skat trak, and Sand tires unlimited paddles are more expensive but are well worth it in every way

The weight makes a difference for jumping also. If it is unbalanced, the front will have more of a tendancy to rise in the air. What about sandstars? Thay are heavier than my SSII's.

Cripple
05-14-2004, 05:44 PM
my bad, i didnt think about that on the jumping part, i dont know about the Sand Stars, i havent tried them yet but ITP usualy makes a good tire, from what i have see they have a steep paddle and are a bit heavier than SSIIs but again i havent been able to ride with them yet

04'400ex'er
05-14-2004, 07:18 PM
The paddle is steeper and 1/8in taller than the SSII's.