PDA

View Full Version : elka upgrade

redrunner
05-12-2004, 07:26 AM
Well I decided to go for a better set up for the front end. Going with 400 ex style elkas (recreational), a newly designed relocator to give me full use of the travel of these babies. They will be built for the addition of a +1" swinger upgrade later. I am using a raptor rear w/ 400 spring right now, when I do the swing arm I would put on the raptor spring to accomodate the increased leverage. Do you think the rear will match up good to the elkas with this setup?

300exOH
05-12-2004, 07:40 AM
I think it will be okay but the Raptor shock doesn't have SSD so your ride height will be off. You should be able to adjust the preload to get the height right. You may be able to have SSD springs put on the Raptor shock though. That's what I had done with my Works rear shock. Jeff@TheQuadshop did mine. Sounds like you're going to have a sweet setup though. Almost the same as mine. :devil:

redrunner
05-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Well maybe I should go +2 on the swingarm, will that work on a 300 ok. New chain and brake line though i expect.

300exOH
05-12-2004, 02:28 PM
You'll definately need a new chain and brake line if you go +2. When I asked Jeff about lengthening my swingarm he recommended adding only 3/4" for trails. It doesn't sound like enough to me but he hasn't steered me wrong yet. With a +2 I'm not sure you could even get the 300 to do a wheelie. I did notice it's harder to get the front end light with the zero preload shocks even with the stock swinger.