PDA

View Full Version : advantages and disadvantages to running smaller tires

r450rr
05-11-2004, 09:42 PM
ok i know what tire i am going to get i am just debating on the size of the tires.( kenda klaws) i ride alot of woods. but i also drag.. i like the lower profile klaw. but looks arnt everything. i am dabating on 18-10.5-9 and 20-6-10 or the stock size.. i like the smaller tires for the fact that it gives me a lower first gear, but how much do you sacrafice on top? i also think it will keep the front end down. i know it will drag alot more. but can anyone shed some light on this for me.. i am just wandering would it be that big of a deal to run smaller tires in the woods. and what sacrifices will be made if i do.... thanks

coty

lukester720
05-11-2004, 09:52 PM
You will lose ground clearence, which will not be good for a woods rider. You could change a sprocket to get the same type gearing though. With the smaller tires you will probably lose about 3 or 4 mph on the top end. The bigger tires would be a little better for the drags too.

Diedrich
05-11-2004, 10:06 PM
get the 18's..i have a set and they are awesome..best tire i've ever owned..it will take away ground clearance but for drags that is good..it'll make it more stable also...more take off but you will lose topend..just get a bigger sprocket if you dont like it..but for woods i have a set of 20's..but i have rode the 18's in the woods and if you dont do any major stuff you'll be alright

r450rr
05-11-2004, 10:41 PM
thanks, for the replies. i have been pondering though, i could change the gearing if i noticed a loss in topend. what could i do get a bigger back sprocket, or is it smaller.. i know i could get a bigger front spprocket but i dont know if they make a 15 th for it? any suggestions.. i myself like the gearing right now and when and if i put smaller tires on there i want to get it about as close as i can back to stock gearing,,any suggestions, on what would be the best gear combo.

thanks again

coty

JWhite
05-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Taller tires are better in drags. :macho

lukester720
05-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by JWhite
Taller tires are better in drags. :macho

yep, i just noticed i put smaller instead of bigger in my other post, so I edited it.

WhiteZee
05-12-2004, 01:32 PM
if you ride any woods at all, you need ATLEAST 20''. 18's are not worth a ****, and you cant get them in 6 ply as for as i know. if you get 20'' tires, and a 13tooth front sproket you should be fine. im telling you, you will be pissed off if you get 18's and plan on riding in the woods.

joe1l
05-12-2004, 01:43 PM
i'm slowly wearing my stock 20's down to the size of an 18'......what to do what to do!!