PDA

View Full Version : Simple Upgrades

livinontheedgel
05-11-2004, 09:23 PM
I was wondering what the best upgrades currently are for my 450. I was thinking about buying the HRC kit, but everything that I have read tells me that it takes away from the bottom. I do alot of hillclimbs, drag racing, and tight rough terrain riding. I like the power, just not first gear. I guess my question is what will give me more bottom end and better throttle response? if I put a 13 tooth sprocket on the front, take out the baffle, junk the airbox lid and re-jet will that solve the problem. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks

quallerd
05-11-2004, 09:39 PM
That will certainly help, and is basically what I did soon after getting mine; 13 tooth front sprocket, curtis sparks exhaust and air filter, removed the airbox lid, and rejetted. The things tears @$$ now!! Hill climbs are no problem. If your looking for a cam i'd recommend checking out the sparks. It is supposed to give you more low to mid than the HRC cam is, just not as much top end gain. You might also think about getting a high compression piston too. All depends on how much money you wanna spend! Hope this helps.

livinontheedgel
05-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Thanks. Anything helps! I traded in my KFX 400 for the 450R looking for the suspension and power. Well it has the suspension and power, the power just isn't were I need it.

450rboy
05-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by livinontheedgel
I was wondering what the best upgrades currently are for my 450. I was thinking about buying the HRC kit, but everything that I have read tells me that it takes away from the bottom. I do alot of hillclimbs, drag racing, and tight rough terrain riding. I like the power, just not first gear. I guess my question is what will give me more bottom end and better throttle response? if I put a 13 tooth sprocket on the front, take out the baffle, junk the airbox lid and re-jet will that solve the problem. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks

well man. i ain't to sure about what i am to say but if you do all that stuff to it. well i think if you let it breath more. i think it might get some more bottom end. so i am saying maybe get a silencer too. well i don't got a 450r but i am just guessing. but i will be getting one after i trade in the 4 wheeler i got now.

Z-135
05-12-2004, 12:19 PM
I put a 2" hole in the air box with a 155 main jet and took out the baffle. This helps a lot with the low-end problem. Yesterday I got a CHM exhaust and so far I am very imprested with it. I did not think that the CHM would make that much of a differences but it did. I got the pipe from ATV addictions! Very good price!

SCOOTER450R
05-12-2004, 12:38 PM
I had the dealer install the HRC kit before I picked up the 450R, so I don't know what it was like stock.

My wife and I had a baby two weeks later so I have not rode it a whole lot yet (just one tank)

I did get a 13t and a 12t
The 13t $20
The 12t $17

Anyways for the tight woods I was riding with the 13t and was wishing for alittle shorter gear so I bought the 12t and now I'm happy.

I sold my 03 400ex to get the 450r so anything I do with it is going to be better than the 400ex

TDS-450R
05-12-2004, 04:23 PM
I PUT MY HRC KIT IN AND YA IT LACKED ALITTLE IN THE LOW END BUT WHEN I PUT IN THE 13T IT MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE AND PICKED UP ON THE LOW END. MADE IT TEAR *** FROM LOW TOO TOP

livinontheedgel
05-13-2004, 12:50 AM
Thanks for all of the information. By the sounds of things, I need to open her up and go down a tooth or two on the front. All of your imput has been very helpful thanks. -livinontheedgell-

Shawn H
05-13-2004, 01:15 PM
I went with a 13t front and 39 rear I love it. will be adding a pipe and cam soon.

SandDuner
05-23-2004, 02:30 PM
you can get the sparks cam people say it has better low end and mid but same on top. And u can look at the sparks 12:1 piston or the 13:8:1 that will give u some power. oh ya and a exhaust like HMF or something :D

SandDuner
you can get the sparks cam people say it has better low end and mid but same on top. And u can look at the sparks 12:1 piston or the 13:8:1 that will give u some power. oh ya and a exhaust like HMF or something :D

SandDuner

SandDuner
05-23-2004, 02:32 PM
sorry did not mean to post 3 times do not know what happen