PDA

View Full Version : Alright boys/girls needed help on this racing tip.

400exBro
03-19-2002, 03:18 PM
On the weekend i went to the local track to practice for the racing season coming up, and my friend was there with a stock 400 except for the fmf pc4 and k&n filter no holes in airbox and jets.
and we decide to drag race these two guys on a stock raptor and stock 400.
Well i pulled the leaded for the first 5-10 feet(till top of 2nd bottomm of third) and then i got smoked by the stock 400, 400 with pipe and the stock raptor.

What am i doing wrong that got me smoked by a STOCK 400.
I am running a wb e-seris with no s/a(no last disc so it shots stright out the back) K&N filter with 4 holes in the air box 160 main and 42 pilot.
I recently found that my throttle cable was way to lose and i adjusted that but i dončt think that would of made that big of a difference. Just like in thrid gear i lost a whole bunch of power, it might be my jetting might be too rich.
What do you guys think and what should i do to keep me out in front. My friend doesn t even let off the throttle when he shifts and that is really hard on the clutch for palying around i dončt like to do that stuff but for the race i will probably need it.
lata
Bro

trx400ex
03-19-2002, 04:04 PM
hmm there are alot of factors, you might have been shifting to slow, did you use the clutch?? that takes alot of time in a drag annd could have costed you the race.... basically just ride flat out, but only within your abilities

liltazz
03-19-2002, 10:13 PM
i think you are too rich. take off the airbox lid, run a 165 -170 main and raise the needle one notch. your pipe needs more air to breath. you will be amaised by the power gained by removing the lid

400exBro
03-20-2002, 03:07 PM
i already got 4 holes in the box and a 160main. so maybe i go down to 155 main and try that or take the lid off and see what performances better.
Yes i used the clutch but let go of the gas as i shifted which could of cost me some time if i don't do it right.
In a week or two when i go back i should have her tuned in.
lata
Bro

stocktires
03-20-2002, 07:40 PM
If u take of the lid completely it will help. The factor is probably shifting. If you beat a raptor off the line you must have good clutch skills. Try not using the clutch when u shift, it really doesnt hurt the clutch too much! My mechanic said i could even ride all the time and not use the clutch (on my 300ex, not 250r!). Landing w/ the throttle in hurts it much more than shifting without the clutch. Make sure and let off the throttle though, not for long!