PDA

View Full Version : Tinner's Air Scoops or OMF?

04'400ex'er
05-11-2004, 08:06 PM
I was looking into some extra cooling and came upon the cheap air scoops for now. Has everyone had good luck with tinners or omf? Any negatives. I am kinda stumped. Also ,I would like some prices if possible. I would like to see some pics if anyone has any.

Quadworks
05-11-2004, 08:27 PM
Heres a couple pics of the Crowley scoops. He is a member on this site(crowdog).
http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/333/DSC01010.jpg
http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/333/DSC01007.jpg

They look like OMF but alot cheaper. This is my 400. I love these scoops.

Pappy
05-11-2004, 08:35 PM
I support TINNER!! And he has been helping the mebers of this site since the start. less then $45 shipped i believe...damn good scoops:macho

Quadfather
05-11-2004, 08:40 PM
I have never seen the Crowly scoops, so I can't give an opinion on them. However, on the two brands you mentioned (I've installed both), here are my thoughts:

OMF-nice and clean look. Sturdy product. Uses factory bolts from the quad

Tinner's-Uses zip ties and bulky brackets that you can see from every angle when you look at the quad. Not a clean look at all. The majority of the people that have them seem very satisfied with them, though.

These are my opinions, not intended to bash anyone's product, just my observations.

Pappy
05-11-2004, 08:47 PM
i never saw a problem with the brackets or zip tie supports. but i agree, the omf are more of a direct bolt on.

wheeltrax
05-11-2004, 08:50 PM
I give Tinners another vote. They look nice, they mount secure, they are affordable, and he is a great guy to deal with.

JOEX
05-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i never saw a problem with the brackets or zip tie supports. but i agree, the omf are more of a direct bolt on.
Those scoops have new stickers on them now:o :p

04'400ex'er
05-12-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Those scoops have new stickers on them now:o :p

Are those omf or tinners?

05-12-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
Are those omf or tinners?

Those be tinners..:cool:

My vote goes to Tinners also.

redroost85
05-12-2004, 08:12 AM
I got me a set of OMF's from Magic Racing for $60 shipped to my door. They're running good enough for me.:)

WKY400EX
05-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Does Tinner make any scoops for a 250R radiator? If so, how much?

04'400ex'er
05-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Is it true that the OMF bolt to the fenders? or somethin like that? Or do they bolt to the frame?I want the cleanest look possible.

ranger400ex
05-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Tinners, they do mount with brackets, but that is the benefit over OMF, if you shave your fenders or wreck...they will crack the OMF. Tinners mount to the frame, so they are not part of the plastic.

Tinners are alot cheaper too.

I have run his stuff on my 400ex, our team uses them on the LTZ400s, and ton of other members too. I use his scoops for the cannondales now. Great stuff, and a great guy.

Ben Wrightsman

05-12-2004, 03:33 PM
i am all for tinners...they bolt the the frame and not the plastic...the crowly scoops look kinda cheap...and where is this zip tie mount on the tinner scoops...is that what that extra hole is for that doesnt have a bolt? if i could post i pic i have pics of the ones i bought from rico on there...they are very nice...the only thing i had to do to get them on was move my rear shock ressie...i mounted it on the part of the frame it bolts to...but that was not too much of a problem...so all for tinner...hes cheaper...better looking...and fits to the frame :D :macho

keepitpinned
05-12-2004, 06:53 PM
hes better looking:huh

05-12-2004, 08:27 PM
well...i am disapointed with the tinners...after looking closly...the tinners hit my clarke gas tank...but only on 1 side...which means they are both different...also...the bottom mount doesnt even fit tight so the scoops jus slid around...so my dad fabbed me up brakets and some different bolts...and now the scoops are way better...we also put some padding by the top of the scoop where it hits the tank :mad: :grr: :(

ranger400ex
05-12-2004, 08:48 PM
that seems odd that it would hit the tank...it didn't on a set I mounted up on a EX with clark oversize tank...or IMS not for sure what it was.

can you get a pic? maybe some ideas for Jim "Tinner".

I know if you have any problems with them...he will definitely take good care of ya!

05-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
that seems odd that it would hit the tank...it didn't on a set I mounted up on a EX with clark oversize tank...or IMS not for sure what it was.

can you get a pic? maybe some ideas for Jim "Tinner".

I know if you have any problems with them...he will definitely take good care of ya!

ya i got lots of pics...dunno how to post...and my dad fabbed mounts and put in some padding...so its fine now...but i bought them used from rico...maybe they were made for a different bike or somethin...i dunno :confused:

ranger400ex
05-12-2004, 09:03 PM
email them to me, and I will make sure Jim sees em....I know he is always updating.

he will be here tomorrow night, for our trip to Rausch.

bwrightsman@hotmail.com

thanks

JD400exrider
05-12-2004, 11:39 PM
I have had both types. Ones that use the fender bolts and tiners. The pair that follow the fender line ended up breaking off where they mount to the top fender mount. My vote is Tiners. I have had no problems with his. Good price also.

04'400ex'er
05-13-2004, 02:19 PM
I want the cleanest look possible on my bike. I like the look of the OMF scoops, but I dont want them breaking if i wreck. The thing that is turning me away from tinners are the zip ties. I would feel differently if they were brackets. Also, has anyone tryed UM air scoops?

Goat397
05-13-2004, 06:54 PM
sure the tinners are cheeper but the look bulky and ugly imo , ive recked a few times with my omf's on and i dont know what your talkiing about with them cracking mine are fine and look awsome

Tommy 17
05-13-2004, 07:47 PM
tinner gets my vote... i've had no problems with mounting them or anything... i def love my tinner scoops!!!

Cannonball08
05-13-2004, 07:54 PM
What about PRM ? I have them on mine and they work great.

04'400ex'er
05-14-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Goat397
sure the tinners are cheeper but the look bulky and ugly imo , ive recked a few times with my omf's on and i dont know what your talkiing about with them cracking mine are fine and look awsome

Other people were telling me that since they mount to the fender, when you wreck, they will crack. please post a pic of your OMF's.

04'400ex'er
05-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Cannonball08
What about PRM ? I have them on mine and they work great.

Post a pic. Anyone have anything else to say?

04'400ex'er
05-14-2004, 12:27 PM
NE one else?

ranger400ex
05-14-2004, 01:47 PM
the omf's breaking is not the issue, the problem is that they take out the fender supports in a wreck...the little triangle tabs of plastic...

again...you won't find a nicer set of scoops than tinners....or someone better to deal with....ever see OMF on here??

Ben

Bender
05-14-2004, 09:18 PM
PRM's are better than the others, decent price, clean look, and higher quality thn the omf's (which are much better than tinners IMHO).

keepitpinned
05-14-2004, 11:03 PM
where can we find prm?

keepitpinned
05-15-2004, 06:43 AM
Tommy 17 could you post more pics of your quad with the tinners?

RAPTORAZ
05-15-2004, 07:00 AM
I also prefer the PRM's. You can see them on mine here:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mypage.cfm

04'400ex'er
05-15-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by RAPTORAZ
I also prefer the PRM's. You can see them on mine here:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mypage.cfm

That link isn't working for me.

RAPTORAZ
05-15-2004, 09:48 AM
How about this one:

http://atvfanatics.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=3886054761&f=4346095271&m=546102813

Cannonball08
05-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Any one that is a PRM dealer can get them.

04'400ex'er
05-15-2004, 10:51 PM
bump

TC426EX
05-16-2004, 09:54 AM
Here is a pic of the PRM's. I know its not that great and I hope to get a close up of them to post soon. They are awesome scoops. The thing that makes them sweet is that they mount sturdy using the stock mounts or if you have aftermarket plastic it uses the stock mounts and L brackets that come with the aftermarket plastic. They also flare outward at the front to scoop more air. It looks like you got a radiator from the front, totally bad ***!!! I had OMF's, broke them and then bought these when I got my maier plastic and have had no problems with them. Cant speak about timmers since I havent used them.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid116/p41257aa60f89b74a40fe6ec99eb02732/f8a7662c.jpg

-Paul
-TC426ex w/ everything
-check it out on douggust.com...

tinner
05-17-2004, 06:13 PM
Honda Racer X, You're dissapointed ??? I am sorry to hear that.Ok, let me start here.... the scoops....both sides are made from the same template . So the sides don't differ...it has to be the tank. I would have to say it is the left side that hits too. Even though both sides are a little close for comfort with the Clarke tank. I just found this out 2 weeks ago ( i just bought one)....and you're the first person to bring it to my attention. After making them for about three years I had never heard about this. There are a couple options, you can take and snip the edge that rides close to that tank, or you can send them back to me and I can do the same and send them back. The area that needs to be shaved is relatively small, and can be done in a clean looking manner and it is pretty much out of sight. I don't run across too many people that have problems, but if you do...let me know so they can be rectified.

Thanks, Jim

tinner
05-17-2004, 06:20 PM
One more thing here...I almost forgot. For the people that were concerned about the zip ties... Each scoop gets one zip tie, which is important to have on to keep the rigidity, the other two points use a bracket and bolts. This combination keeps everything sturdy and can withstand the abuse of racing your quad. I have maybe had five people tell me that a tie broke. Those people got new ties.

04'400ex'er
05-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by tinner
Honda Racer X, You're dissapointed ??? I am sorry to hear that.Ok, let me start here.... the scoops....both sides are made from the same template . So the sides don't differ...it has to be the tank. I would have to say it is the left side that hits too. Even though both sides are a little close for comfort with the Clarke tank. I just found this out 2 weeks ago ( i just bought one)....and you're the first person to bring it to my attention. After making them for about three years I had never heard about this. There are a couple options, you can take and snip the edge that rides close to that tank, or you can send them back to me and I can do the same and send them back. The area that needs to be shaved is relatively small, and can be done in a clean looking manner and it is pretty much out of sight. I don't run across too many people that have problems, but if you do...let me know so they can be rectified.

Thanks, Jim One other thing, could you rig anything up besides the zipties? Like another bracket?

ranger400ex
05-17-2004, 08:00 PM
i have run them with and with out the zip tie...and it doesn't make a difference. I know personally of 6 quads on here that use tinners(they all race with us), and race every other weekend with 5-6 hours of trailriding inbetween....I have gone though one set of scoops, and maybe total of 2 among the others....the only reason they were changed out was 2nd gear+ collisions with trees.....and they still only got tweaked a little...Another bracket won't add any strength, IMO, and the zip tie only serves to maybe stob any vibration...ie from the motor. believe me, you won't be dissapointed, and Jim will make them right for ya....interstingly enough I saw a set of OMF's take out some front fender brackets this weekend, from the quad bouncing around so much (Rausch GNCC) so the scoops held up....but $200 worth of plastic is messed up. I shoulda got some pics

And thanks to Tinner for coming along with us...hope you had a great time...nice for all of us to meet ya after three years, and put a name with a face. You racing with us at virginia in 4weeks right?:D :D

will PRM or OMF update your scoops for free to meet your mods.....doubt it.

04'400ex'er
05-17-2004, 08:43 PM
I really like the looks of the OMF's, but Tinners it be! I'll find a way to do somethink about the zip tie. I know I'm gonna wreck again, And the last thing I want is broken plastics. Tinner, how do we do this? Hook me up!

WKY400EX
05-18-2004, 12:34 AM
Tinner, do you make any scoops for 250R's?

tinner
05-18-2004, 04:41 PM
There aren't any other options for the area with the zip ties....I had looked into every option that I had when I designe them...a clamp won't work due to the placement of the oil tank brackets (one side is different). Anyways, I strongly recommend using the ties...they will hold up. I would'nt run the scoops without being mounted in the 3 places, it will cause vibration which could crack the tabs on the scoops. I've seen this happen on a few sets. Zip ties are cheap to replace, if you have problems with them just let me know. I will take care of you.

I am sorry I don't have them for the 250r....I should, but don't have easy access to one to fab a set.

BTW, I had a great time at Rausch last weekend. Everyone I met was top notch, a great bunch of people.:D Ranger...you were pretty close to that Dinli in the picture, are you running there machine next season ???:eek:

Virginia is the next one ??? Hmm, that won't work. I like the thought of the Iowa race....Maybe even meet you at Red Bud.

Any questions... please email me.

jimandcherix2@aol.com