PDA

View Full Version : car smoking from the catalytic converter?

400exbiggun
05-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Aight, we just picked up a 94 Jeep Cherokee. Started and looked everything over. Took it for a ride and its fine. We did not see any smoke at all then (yes i looked) oh and we paied $3875 for it.
Then when we got home from the dealer we were at a gas station and some guy said, hey your car is leaking something, im like...what
Went over there and its water leaking from the converter. Also i thought it was just the water steaming outta the exhaust. But when i got home it was black smoke comming from there. No smoke came out the end of the car (tail pipe) just the side that the catalytic converter was on.
What is it. Im hoping its nothing, its going to the mechanic tomorrow, but if not, isnt there a 72 hr lemon law?

also under the car seems to be oil too. Dont know where it came from though. And i thought i did not see smoke comming from the tail pipe, just the converter.

LTandRaptorider
05-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by 400exbiggun
Aight, we just picked up a 94 Jeep Cherokee. Started and looked everything over. Took it for a ride and its fine. We did not see any smoke at all then (yes i looked) oh and we paied $3875 for it.
Then when we got home from the dealer we were at a gas station and some guy said, hey your car is leaking something, im like...what
Went over there and its water leaking from the converter. Also i thought it was just the water steaming outta the exhaust. But when i got home it was black smoke comming from there. No smoke came out the end of the car (tail pipe) just the side that the catalytic converter was on.
What is it. Im hoping its nothing, its going to the mechanic tomorrow, but if not, isnt there a 72 hr lemon law?

also under the car seems to be oil too. Dont know where it came from though. And i thought i did not see smoke comming from the tail pipe, just the converter.

Probably an exhaust leak at the converter, You're seeing condensation leaking out there. I'd take it back where you bought it from ASAP for that and the oil leak. I had a 92 Cherokee that leaked at the oil filter mount, could be that.

250R_4_ever
05-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Sure its not leaking from the a/c water return hose that might be near the exaust in those truck ????/

Just a guess !

could also be condensation it should stop after a ride on the highway

Good luck

400exbiggun
05-11-2004, 05:06 PM
no it didnt stop on the highway, it kinida got worst. Thats when we knoticed it.
WE lived 55 miles from that place.
Also i opened the radiator cap while looking at the oil...there is a crapload of **** in the radiator.:huh
there is the antifreeze. Then on the neck and the cap there was all brown, like .....mud or something?

and that smoke was black, and comming kinda heavy.

WE called the dealer he said take it to the mechanic and then call him and tell hiim what he said.

250R_4_ever
05-11-2004, 05:13 PM
the S**** in the RAd is probaly a STOP LEAK that somebody put in to clog a leak in the rad.I do not recommand that kind of stuff since sometime its clog the heater core and then you got very little heat in winter.

You can always flush the coolant and add new one

for the water in the exaust ... its F***** weird it should have stop after an highway ride and 55miles is more then it take

sure its not the water return from the a/c ... if you have the a/c

:huh

400exbiggun
05-11-2004, 05:33 PM
thanks for your help..

i just went and looked at the car.
There really is no hoses, tubes at all above or around the converter. Without sticking a jack under there, i cant see much. But there is a side member that has oil on it. Its too thick to be antifreeze or just water. Black oil.
yeah the gas station was about 50miles from the start. And there was a puddle of what i think was water. It looked kinda clear, and i dipped my finger in and and it had no scent.

Yes it has a/c, but it dosent want to work properly. It turns on but is not cold at all really (we knew that proir to buying)

400exbiggun
05-11-2004, 05:36 PM
thinking of too many things at once...not the side member i mean there is the cross member right in front of it. That has oil on it. So does some other stuff. There is deff something leaking oil. And hopefully the converter just has a exhaust leak. I can deal with that as long as it is not like any grand repair.