PDA

View Full Version : Sparks 465 kit

bansheeke
05-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Does anyone know anything about this kit? Looking for anyone who has tried it or anyone who knows anything about it. From what i gathered from the site u need to use alky. What kind of power does it make?

04'400ex'er
05-11-2004, 03:51 PM
I'm sure the 465 kit would make killer power. Anything coming from sparks is good as far as quality goes. You should look at the reliability issue, though. The 465 will prob. blow head gaskets and wouldent be as reliable as the stock or 416.Other people will know more about it.

bansheeke
05-11-2004, 04:20 PM
I'm not necissarily going for the ultimate in reliability. I doubt they would sell it if it blew head gaskets all the time. With the right fuel..I don't see why it would blow head gaskets. From what i got from there site it is set up to run alky.

04'400ex'er
05-11-2004, 07:58 PM
I'd be willin to bet it is worse about blowin them than 400 and 416's. After all, the 440's do.

adeptex
05-11-2004, 08:30 PM
I would worry more about rod failure with a 465 than head gasket failure. And I have never had a head gasket failure on my 440 so I would say it all depends on who installs your sleeve and what gaskets you use.

cummingetit
05-11-2004, 09:35 PM
The size would have less to do with head gaskets than compression. The thing about these big motors is when you add power you have to make the rest of the engine parts capable of doing their job right. ex. hd head studs, fire ring head, heavy duty rod, back cut tranny, shim tranny, huge oil cooler (more power more heat,) bigger valves (lower egt,) 8 plate clutch, 450 timing chain. If you want to go big you need a big wallet, reliablity costs money and when you take short cuts it is more likely that something will go wrong.

You dont have to use meth but you can, it will make more power with less heat.

FDO is another company that does big cc stroker motors. 1-740-967-1078 Mike is the man he will answer all of your questions. "ShaneB" on this web site has their full bore 493 50+ HP.

05-12-2004, 10:06 AM
The FDO phone # is 967-1078 you miss typed it

shaneb
05-12-2004, 04:57 PM
I am very happy with my fdo 493 ....

I am in the middle of moving to a larger piston. that will take me to 505 ....

Shane

bansheeke
05-12-2004, 10:06 PM
i know shane..we've chatted before about his 493 on another site.

I'm not worried about the pocket...it'll hold up. I just want to do it right, and if i'm going to be replacing headgaskets etc all the time....No thanks. Something with about 50 horse or more would work for me right now.

shaneb
05-13-2004, 10:51 AM
I have never blown a head gasket

bansheeke
05-13-2004, 05:43 PM
never noticed you talking about blowing one shane....
I've heard of people blowing headgaskets quite a bit on 440's...but why? The only thing i could see would be detination or an improper build. Both of which are pretty much the owner/builders fault. With the right gas and a properly built engine you shouldn't blow headgaskets.

Sandragggen
05-13-2004, 11:21 PM
I have a 465 (Sparks Parts) on alky and it runs very good. I currently have a head leak but I'm pretty sure this is due to the fact that I didn't re-torque the head after a few heat cycles. I'm kinda hoping that all I have to do now is re-torque but I won't know till after I get into it. I purchase a new shim gasket just incase I need it. For a properly built 465 plan to spend somewhere around 2500 when all is said and done.

JMiller

bansheeke
05-14-2004, 05:57 AM
how about a ride report...how is the power etc. thanks!!!

Sandragggen
05-15-2004, 08:48 PM
I installed the 463/9i cam and lost a little on the bottom but made up for it on the big end. The cam likes high rpms. I've not done any suspension mods so launching the first 40', I'm boarderline out of control. Wheelies without pulling on the bars 1-4 and a little tug or a bump will get you up in 5th. I'm about to buy a swingarm but I'm thinking this might take some of the fun factor away. This quad can be trail ridden to an extent (even on alky) but favors wide open blasts. With equal rider skill/weight this 465 has beaten piped HRC 450R's and cam modded/jetted/piped YFZ's by 4-5 lengths in 500' flat sand. It will not beat my stage 2 DS but is within 1 bike length with a lighter rider aboard the EX.

To sum it up the 465 is a blast to ride. You will get alot of, "what did you do to that!" The wheelies are better than ever. I'd advise a longer swingarm. Change oil more often due to the added heat. Get a more torqueier cam than a 463/9i if you are a big guy.

04'400ex'er
05-15-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Sandragggen
I installed the 463/9i cam and lost a little on the bottom but made up for it on the big end. The cam likes high rpms. I've not done any suspension mods so launching the first 40', I'm boarderline out of control. Wheelies without pulling on the bars 1-4 and a little tug or a bump will get you up in 5th. I'm about to buy a swingarm but I'm thinking this might take some of the fun factor away. This quad can be trail ridden to an extent (even on alky) but favors wide open blasts. With equal rider skill/weight this 465 has beaten piped HRC 450R's and cam modded/jetted/piped YFZ's by 4-5 lengths in 500' flat sand. It will not beat my stage 2 DS but is within 1 bike length with a lighter rider aboard the EX.

To sum it up the 465 is a blast to ride. You will get alot of, "what did you do to that!" The wheelies are better than ever. I'd advise a longer swingarm. Change oil more often due to the added heat. Get a more torqueier cam than a 463/9i if you are a big guy. WOW!:eek2: