PDA

View Full Version : What's better? piggy or need to decide!!

agalvan
05-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Elkas piggyback version or equipped with a remote reservoir.

Thank you guys!!

EXDuner
05-11-2004, 11:28 AM
I believe it's personal opinion because they are both the same when talking performance. The remote you have to mount them to your frame which takes more time some people think they look cooler. Some people think the piggyback is more likely to sustain damage from roost or in a crash but I know with Elka they told me they have only had two in the last couple of years they had to fix because of a wreck. The piggback are very very strong. If you were to break them somehow then you have a lot of other stuff to worry about too.

05-11-2004, 12:37 PM
After having both types, the piggies are much easier to adjust and remove from the quad.

cdalejef
05-11-2004, 01:34 PM
I have seen countless hoses get ripped off by branches but I've never seen a piggy break.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
05-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Rico
After having both types, the piggies are much easier to adjust and remove from the quad.

I haven't had both but I like that it only takes 4 bolts and the shocks are off.

05-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
I haven't had both but I like that it only takes 4 bolts and the shocks are off.

Ya dam straight girl....;)

05-11-2004, 02:18 PM
Call me old fashioned, but i like the remote's better. Never had a prob and I think the look a lot better. Personal Pref.

Tommy 17
05-11-2004, 02:19 PM
not only are they one thing less to worry about... they also let u add air scoops and a stablizer easy without having to deal with the mess...

cdalejef
05-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by TeamCRC
Call me old fashioned, but i like the remote's better. Never had a prob and I think the look a lot better. Personal Pref. LOL....if you want to be old fashioned, then you better get some piggies! Piggybacks were out before remotes. Ohlins and White Power shocks were the first ones out and they were both piggybacks.

remlapr
05-11-2004, 02:31 PM
definately piggies - one less thing to screw with, plus I think they look better.

05-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
LOL....if you want to be old fashioned, then you better get some piggies! Piggybacks were out before remotes. Ohlins and White Power shocks were the first ones out and they were both piggybacks.

You know what I mean damnit......piggybacks werent a hot ticket until now. I just like the look of them and have grown acustom to them. Seeing piggy backs make me wanna take a bat and knock them right off the shocks. The look irratates me for some reason.:mad: :cool:

Chanman420q
05-11-2004, 07:32 PM
i prefer the remotes

"the remotes have more oil in the lines so they perform better":blah: :devil: :eek:

TC426EX
05-12-2004, 07:41 AM
It is all up to you as far as what you go with. Some will argue that remotes work better and stay cooler since they are not attached to the shock body, but that is highly disregarded among most racers and people who know whats going on. I personally go with remotes because for one, that is all the PEP offers. My buddy has a set of elka piggy backs on his LTZ and there is really no difference on how either of our shocks perform. Like I said, basically it is up to you, either will work just as good as the other.

-Paul
TC426EX

JDiablo
05-12-2004, 02:33 PM
there really isn't much of a diffrence,only that remote holds a lil more oil,but after getting my first pair of aftermarket shocks with remotes,my next set will be piggyback....so just take it from there,alot less cursing as well from not being able to get the dam thing to stay in place,and you will have more room to mount a steering stabilizer:)

promisc
05-12-2004, 05:16 PM
The purpose of the ressies is to hold more gaz and cool the gaz. Piggyback will dissipate more heat than remotes. The heat can pass thru the mounting between the res and the shock so dessipation is easier. Piggybacks will prevent shocks from fading more than remotes. Thats why i think piggyback are better but i like the look of the remotes.

nacs400ex
05-12-2004, 07:17 PM
It all boils down to personal preference, I had piggys and I personally dont like them. I have seen a 400ex holeshot behind another, rock flew up and knocked the compression knob right off, and the oil all came out. :eek2: There is other ways to mount a steering stabilizer too, if you have rezzies you can get the motor mounting one (PEP), or when I guesseted my frame I added an extra down tube for shock mount strength and for remote rezzy mounts.

RedEx XCRider
05-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
not only are they one thing less to worry about... they also let u add air scoops and a stablizer easy without having to deal with the mess...

i havn't had piggy's but i say they would be better i have remote's on my works right now and it look ignortant because i had to turn on a different way for my stabilizer would fit

zfire_28
05-14-2004, 03:40 AM
I got piggies on my EX and remotes on the YFZ.......Imo it basically boils down to wich one YOU think looks coolest. The piggies may be a tiny more easier to remove, but how often do the shocks come off anyways........I take mine off maybe once a year so whoopy, I gotta remove 4 rezzie brackets too......they have both been good for me.

Narly R
05-14-2004, 10:26 AM
I have rezzies, and like them, I have them mouted so the hoses arn't going to catch on anything, and I dont mind un screwing a couple more bolts to get them off, but yes, piggy backs are EISIER, but I have also herd that with the rezzies, the line allows the oil to cool longer, and which gives it better performance. I say go with rezzies...

KASCHAK
05-19-2004, 09:57 PM
i got the rezzies.. i would think because the oil is away from the shock and the lines are there that it would help cool it better... i never rode anything witha piggyback besied the stock rear shock.. id say its just a visual preferance more then anything

eh.. they both got there ups and downs i suppose too

cdalejef
05-20-2004, 06:42 AM
I just talked to Elka and they said that the piggies actually cool better because the alum. mount acts like a big heat sink. The difference is so minimal that you will not notice a difference but it is there.