PDA

View Full Version : automobile windshield replacement-anyone done it?

speedy400
05-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Hey, I own a 1990 chevy s-10, when I got it about a year ago it had a small chip in it, well that chip took off and now I have 3 seperate windshields.... Also I only have liability on the truck so I cant just have insurance pay for it. Has anyone replaced their own windsield/removed the original? Is it tricky/waist of time? If its not too hard do you have some pointers? thanks-darren

Bobbs07
05-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by speedy400
Hey, I own a 1990 chevy s-10, when I got it about a year ago it had a small chip in it, well that chip took off and now I have 3 seperate windshields.... Also I only have liability on the truck so I cant just have insurance pay for it. Has anyone replaced their own windsield/removed the original? Is it tricky/waist of time? If its not too hard do you have some pointers? thanks-darren

From what i heard, becuz my sisters car needs hers replaced, it is pretty tricky, and very hard.. A truck might be easier then a big car windshield tho..

sly400ex
05-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Not that hard. You can easily replace it for under a $150 yourself. Just make sure you take proper safety precautions. WEAR GLOVES AND GOGGLES while working on it. You may have to buy a trim removal tool to remove the trim on the outside of the windshield, a wire saw or cutter to cut the actual window out (can't remember the actual name), windshield gasket and caulk and of course a winshield. That should be it for items you have to buy.

Here's a link I found that has some good info.....

http://www.geocities.com/windshield12345/

sickmojave
05-11-2004, 10:01 AM
I have done this a few times and it is no easy job. and one little slip and you can crack the new one. it's best to let a pro do it.;)

Hotdog
05-11-2004, 10:46 AM
i had one put in my ZR2 S-10 and it was only 200 bucks. Your gonna pay at least 150 for the window. Your better off paying them to put the window in.

ScrnNmsSUCK
05-11-2004, 01:50 PM
I would just pay alittle extra and have them do it. The most expensive part is the glass. I just had to replace mine about 2 weeks ago.